Tallarook Easy Challenge

Forum > Your Trip Report & Experience
Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
23 May 2016

Trip summary: Awesome!

We headed off from home with me behind the wheel of Yoda (FJ) while the dirt driver, Sondra, took the time of the highway drive to wake up fully.

Arrived at Broadford meeting point to the sight of a bunch of kitted out 4wds and some faces eager to head off road. After brief introductions and a show of hands for experience levels we split into two groups of 4 vehicles. With me was Sondra driving her FJ (with Tom a nervous newby passenger and myself as navigator), Chris and Greg as our experienced Charlie duo (and always great company) in the Ranger, Kyle in his TJ Jeep whose smile is contagious, and Dale in his Navara, a newcomer to the group who was eager to test his new rig and its great mods.

Jacob in his tough GU headed up the other convoy with more experience who were keen to have a crack at some more advanced tracks in the park. Along with him were Kevin in his Ranger, Dennis in the 105 ‘Cruiser and Craig in the trusty Triton.

We headed off in our direction entering the forest via Davis Rd, through the closed gate at the end (OK to go through, just close it behind you) and on to the start of Jenkin Track where we aired down.

Straight into it we climbed up Jenkin No. 1, and across to Jenkin Link for the descent. A couple of steepish sections so we dropped into low range. Easy travelling, bit of rock, bit of dirt, nothing hard – just a nice warm up. We headed down Dicks Track and then back to Stony Creek Tk to Horans, then started into the Tehans leg of our trip. Down 6, up 5 we went. Again, steepish, a couple of little steps but nothing a stock 4wd and a beginner can’t get through.  We stopped briefly for a cuppa at the top of Tehans 4, then headed down. Decided to bypass Tehans 3 and head for 2, and since everything was going well I made the choice to take the right at the fork and have a shot at Willies Track. Note to self: take the left next time. We slowly crawled along the narrow goat path that is the bottom section of Willies, very tight and twisty in spots. All was going OK until we rounded a bend and came across…. THE HILL.

That bloody hill.

Sondra in only her 3rd time driving on dirt was apprehensive, and with good reason. We looked up at a towering descent in the 30% pitch range or so, with a surface of damp clay/mud interspersed with a few decent sized rock steps. I climbed about half way up, and made the radio call down below that I thought it was worth an attempt. Sondra gunned the FJ (road tyres, stock suspension) and made a damn good effort at getting up but got hung up on on big rock step where she lost traction and momentum. Another attempt saw the same thing happen again and with rattled nerves she handed the wheel to me to try. I gave it a more aggressive run and up only made it a few more metres up (might’ve been airborne hence the extra travel). We were beaten.

After sliding/backing down we pulled to the side and Dale had a crack in his ute with muddies and a 2 inch lift. He got to the same point as me and the same rock stopped him. With only 2 winches between 4 vehicles we decided to admit defeat and turn around.

By this stage hunger and nerves had kicked in so we took Brandy Corner Tk up to Main Rd and across to the little camping area at the start of Army Track. Quick lunch and we headed off again up Army.

Had a look at Steep Track. No way. Ruts like the grand canyon.

Keep going. I picked another off the map worth a shot and we went up the very narrow and twisting climb of Falls Creek Track. A few spots you had to pick your line well or risk a bit of sill damage but we all made it through – was a really fun track. Highly recommend it.

Back down West Falls Rd, down Mt Hickey Rd, left into Horans then left again on a short and steep decent to Cable Track, then south back to Horans and down to the bottom of Rocky Track. We climbed up there slowly (very rocky and loose but easy), down Magazine through a great bog hole.

Then back up Gravel Pit and Caddell Tks (steep but easy again), then up to the top of Mount Hickey and finally out via Mountain Track to Ennis where we aired up.

The trip was a perfect route for new drivers wanting to challenge themselves, and for more experienced drivers a fun day off road for those who aren’t always looking for the thrill of risk.

Thanks to all in our convoy, and also to Jacob for running the other convoy and to those who participated in his group. I had a blast!

Dennis (Dennis)
23 May 2016

Looks like fun. I was in the other convoy and watched in awe as Jacob did Steep Tk in a manual. Legend.

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
23 May 2016

Top effort to do that. Some tricky lines to take. 

BTW anyone reading this on a phone turn it sideways so the images show up properly. 

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
23 May 2016

Great report and pics Winston....yes. Didnt think you would give Steep Tk a go and Willies Tk is a fair challenge. Glad you all enjoyed the day.

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
23 May 2016

Excellent trip, well executed and great report! ..... Very well done mate! 

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
24 May 2016

Great report and pics Winston....yes. Didnt think you would give Steep Tk a go and Willies Tk is a fair challenge. Glad you all enjoyed the day.

Cheers.

Honestly, I would've tried Steep Track personally, I could see the line to take but it's not my car to attempt it in if something had gone wrong. Once I've found the GQ I want it's game on.

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
24 May 2016

Excellent trip, well executed and great report! ..... Very well done mate! 

Thanks mate!

Andrew
Andrew (whipit)
25 May 2016

Awsome report and pics well done Winston.yes

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
25 May 2016

Awsome report and pics well done Winston.yes

Thanks Andrew. ☺

Angelo
Angelo (cokeaddict)
28 May 2016

Love reading these reports. Sounds like you all had a great day out.

Great report. Sounds like I missed out on a great day. Once I get some more recovery gear, I'll be back out there again. I would love to go over these tracks to give me a feel for the new car.