Dargo to Licola via Blue rag, crooked river and billy goats

Forum > Your Trip Report & Experience
1 2 3   Next

()
01 Apr 2016

Wel well, the delp decided to do a burn, which was on all the tracks we were doing, thankfully it rained like buggery and they put the burn back four days. Fantastic I thought, but then the tracks would be wet.... bugger, but at least no dust.

We met up at grant, the drive there was wet, big Kev camped there a day early and said it rained all night, I thought hmmm that's not good.

Due to the uncertainty of track access Brennan decided to pull out, thanks for letting me know (via phone) mate.

In the morning our plan was to do blue rag, but it was still 100% cloud cover which was flowing through the camp site, and light rain on and off. We had a chat about it and decided that if we couldn't see anything there was little point going, as Garry wanted to do some photography.

So we went onto do the crooked river and billy goats.

Crooked crossings were all nice and easy, Kev hadn't seen them before so he enjoyed it, and I'm sure Garry did also, they were double the height they were the previous time I saw them but still no problem at all.

Then came billy goats, the climb upto the heli pad was piss easy, and we thought well this is a walk in the park.

Then the drop down from the helipad was easy too, but half way up the hill there was a chopped up section that was full of wet clay like mud, we heard on the radio another group had trouble on the way up also. Gazz got through no worries but the rangers needed to winch on a section which was lifting wheels, only 5 feet or so but just enough of a bugger to need a winch, we could have done track building, but we didn't want to spend a lot of time there and possibly hold anyone else up, as it's not wide enough to pass, so the easy option was the winch, after that section we were all fine, a few rough bits which bounce the front up, but not too bad, always better in hind sight though.

From there we made our way to horse yard camp ground for the night. We were planning to do some tracks toward Licola for the next day.

Unfortunately Big Kev wasn't feeling well, he wanted to soldier on but we talked him out of it and headed back on the Friday. 

So all in all it was a fantastic trip, we still didn't get to do blue rag, that was the second time for me it didn't work out and for Garry I think a few as well. Not everything went to plan, but I reckon we were all glad we went on the trip.

AND a bloody big thanks to Garry for setting up the winches for both Kev and myself, seeing you climb up slipping in the mud dragging all that heavy cable made me feel bad, much appreciated mate.

Big Kev I hope you are feeling better mate.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
01 Apr 2016

Good report Mark and a 'bugger' you didnt get to Blue Rag; am sure it will happen soon. Looking forward to seeing some pics....smiley

()
01 Apr 2016

Mark thanks for putting on the trip,I had a great time,always good to be in The high country.  We will get to blue rag  one day, when there's no cloud cover,and no aerial fire bombing lol. get well soon Kev. Thanks Mark and Kevin for the trip and company cheers gazzađź‘Ť Ps I'll try to put some photos up soon

Angelo
Angelo (cokeaddict)
01 Apr 2016

thanks for the report boys.

Glad you enjoyed it. Always nice to read how things went.

How ya feeling Kev?

Garry don't worry too much about blue rag mate, I alwasy believe there is a reason why you didnt make it up there and that just means another reason to go back. Clear sky up there is jaw dropping mate.  

()
01 Apr 2016

G'day Angelo, I saw on another post of yours you don't participate in a lot of group trips due to your photography desires.

Garry love photography too, so possibly you guys could do trips and swap photography techniques?

()
01 Apr 2016

thanks for the report boys.

Glad you enjoyed it. Always nice to read how things went.

How ya feeling Kev?

Garry don't worry too much about blue rag mate, I alwasy believe there is a reason why you didnt make......

Yeah I do believe there's reasons sometimes,.Blue rag ain't going anywhere.like you say, reason to go back up there.

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
01 Apr 2016

Thanks for the report. So do you remember where you had to winch on Billy goats? Would you of made it if it was dry? You were probably right to miss blue rag if the weather closed in, the track is easy, it's the views you go for

()
02 Apr 2016

Thanks for the report. So do you remember where you had to winch on Billy goats? Would you of made it if it was dry? You were probably right to miss blue rag if the weather closed in, the track is easy, it's the views you go for

It was about 3/4 up ,right on a wash away hump, there was 3 ruts leading up to the hump that caused the troubles for the IFS vehicles, with needing momentum to get up ,they just kept lifting a wheel up in the air. The track must have been graded,maybe before Easter,has there was no steps in the rocky sections. It had pissed down with rain the day and night before and caused some trouble for others before us in two sections. One bloke coming down this section,lost traction and started to go sideways down it ,he got very close to rolling it. In the dry the ifs vehicles would have had no problems.

()
02 Apr 2016

This is where the rangers got stuck, you can't really see it from this angle but there was a big hole where the front left was and another at the rear right.

The ranger just doesn't have enough wheel travel when you get crossed up like this.

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
02 Apr 2016

Love to see some more pics of the trip.

Yes, a bit of rain changes all those tracks and what might have been an easy drive turns out a lot harder. Any way , you got to use your winch smiley

so only crooked river and Billy goats were the tracks you did? I love it in a around talbotville

Andrew
Andrew (whipit)
02 Apr 2016

Great report Mark, Hope to see some photos? bloody weather ay oh well great excuse  you will have to go back to do blue rag!

Cheers 

()
02 Apr 2016

Well mate simple fact is wet tracks are harder, I don't know many people that would disagree with that.

I could have bullshitted and said "oh yeah piss easy I did it all in 2 wheel drive" but people need a honest account so they know what to expect.

Overall the track isn't terrible it's just steep, there was just that one section that was chewed out and wet that gave us some grief, would I have gone through easily if it was dry? Dunno

15 min of track building and you wouldn't know it was there, it's just the kind of track you don't want to muck around on as oncoming cars can cause a real problem passing.

Anyway it's off the list, you'll have to go up there mate it's a great one to do, but if you can do it when it's dry.

()
02 Apr 2016

Message deleted by the author.

()
02 Apr 2016

For some reason I can only get the photo loading to work with google chrome.

()
02 Apr 2016

() wrote:

For some reason I can only get the photo loading to work with google chrome.

I worked it out,but it takes so long to download,I don't know if it's because the photo is 6 mb? Or slow internet?

1 2 3   Next