how to drown a gopro crossing the crooked river.

Forum > Your Trip Report & Experience
Angelo
Angelo (cokeaddict)
21 Mar 2016

Just a bit of fun to share if interested.

Had a blast with the gopro, well until the final river crossing that is. Some fool (me) forgot to put the gopro in its waterproof cover and that same fool.. (me) forgot about bow waves. 

I always learn something on my trips, this trip taught me that bow waves and unprotected gopro's do not mix.

The gopro died that day, but thanks to my silica gel bags in my camera bag, I wrapped the gopro in the bags over night and left it on the dash for the morning sun hoping it would dry out the water. It was dead till around 11am. Then before leaving camp I tried it and it worked, very lucky.

https://vimeo.com/158468822

Jim
Jim (JimMc)
30 Mar 2016

Hi just a chance if you leave the gopro on a window in the sunlight for about a week it may come back to life mine did (and yes the same fool comes with me sometimes)  

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
30 Mar 2016

Lucky you Angelo...smiley. I have a Gopro but rarely use it now, as it can be a 'pita'; battery doesnt last long, remote doesnt work all the time and there is a annoying rattle when it is in the waterproof case...angry. Nice video btw...yes

Angelo
Angelo (cokeaddict)
30 Mar 2016

Lucky you Angelo...smiley. I have a Gopro but rarely use it now, as it can be a 'pita'; battery doesnt ......

Hey mate,

Thanks for the thumbs up. Hope yoy guys are all well.

your gopro sounds like its a few years old. Not sure why it rattles but would be an easy fix mate. As for the battery dying quickly, that could have been caused by running it flat and not recharging it. 

Hope to catch up out there soon. might be doing something soon with joel if he has time. want to do another weekender before the season ends.

Angelo
Angelo (cokeaddict)
30 Mar 2016

Hi just a chance if you leave the gopro on a window in the sunlight for about a week it may come back to life mine did (and yes the same fool comes with me sometimes)  

Hahahaha hi Jim,

seems to be more and more fools these days. Ya think its got to do with our age mate?wink

Jim
Jim (JimMc)
31 Mar 2016

Hahahaha hi Jim,

seems to be more and more fools these days. Ya think its got to do with our age mate?wink

Yep I forgot it was under the bullbar and found it floating down the river, but after a few days in the sun it worked again.   

George
George (Georgie_Kyro)
31 Mar 2016

Nice Vid  mate, 
I have stopped using my go pro as i find it too tedious too, 

They film really great but just found that the battery doesnt last too long on it and i couldnt charge the unit whilst in its protective case, so when mounted to the windsceen inside where most of my inboard filming is done its no problem... 

But then id have to go home up load to computer then upload to youtube... 

These days i have a craddle mount for my samsung which i leave on the windscreen, record and then straight away loads straight to youtube so for me personally the samsung is much easier.

In saying that i still like both as they have there advantages and this way having both can get different angles.

Hope you enjoyed your trip mate, looks like you had a great time

Jim
Jim (JimMc)
31 Mar 2016

Yep we had a great time I just put a link up on the trip report for the youtube videos I made have a look and let me know what you think.