Billy goat bluff

Forum > 4WD Tracks & Destinations
Previous   1 2 3   Next
Angelo
Angelo (cokeaddict)
08 Mar 2016

() wrote:

No worries mate, those bloody Land Cruisers on the trip can drag me up.

I might even be able to have a little nap while they drag me upangel

Well lets hope while ur snoozing...it dont become a nightmare and u wake up pulling a GQ up. Now that would be a nightmare for me.

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
08 Mar 2016

() wrote:

I give up I don't know who to listen to. frown

Some say chewed up and rough and others say piss ......

It's hard to say anything is hard or easy, we talked about billy goats before. I guess you just need to see how you go. But it becomes harder when your putting up a trip and deciding on a grading for it.  Ime sure in our discussions some one said bull town spur was med/hard yet last time I was there a few years ago it was smooth as , just steep.

in my humble? opinion , if your posting a trip, billy goats can't be called easy

hope you have a good trip there

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
08 Mar 2016

It's hard to say anything is hard or easy, we talked about billy goats before. I guess you just need to see how you go. But it becomes harder when your putting up a trip and deciding on a grading for it.  Ime sure in our discussions so......

Totally agree Dennis. Driven Billy Goats numerous times and at best I would rate it 'medium', but a couple of times when it has been badly chewed up due to traffic etc, I would rate it hard. In saying that, with my track rating I always base it  on a standard vehicle, similar to Mark's Ranger.

So Mark, in my opinon and based on what both Angelo and Dennis have said, unless the track is graded prior to your trip, you will probably get up, but there will be a few places that will keep you on your toes and concentrating. By the same token, do it as you will thoroughly enjoy driving this iconic track along with the views on offer up the top.

Maybe slightly off topic, but I wish some would not give those 4wders new to the caper, or those with totally standard vehicles the impression that some tracks, such as Billy Goats, are easy.  Again, maybe if you are driving a modified vehicle and have heaps of experience you may say it easy and if this is what you believe, maybe a bit of clarrification as to your experience and type of vehicle might put it into perspective, especially for those newer members of the forum and those with limited experience and/or a standard vehicle.

Anyway, it is one of those 'must do' tracks.

()
09 Mar 2016

Hi mark, with Billy goat, we can put a experienced person in front to pick the lines and then you to follow his lines,and a experienced person behind you.Work as a group. The only bits that might give you a small problem might be the steps,we can do track work if that's the case, i reckon you will love the track once on it.

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
09 Mar 2016

After reading Allans comment regarding track gradings, not sure if it was directed at me or not, I thought I made my comments clear but just to clarify, in a well sorted 4wd with a experianced driver and assuming the track isn't wet or ripped to pieces, which it wont be now because it was graded recently so the rock ledges will still be on the small side, I would class it as easy in my vehicle. For a standard vehicle with road tyre it would be medium to hard in a dedicated 4wd. IF I had a standard work ute with road tyres would I drive Billy goats yes but very carefully and only with a couple of experienced spotters with capable 4wds to help out if things went pair shapped. Would I send a inexperienced driver up it in a standard ute with road tyres  NO WAY

John
John (Bulldog)
09 Mar 2016

In all my experience 4wding. All tracks from easy to hard can be dangerous. It only takes a moment for a single incident to happen. So take care, Stay safe and have fun.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
09 Mar 2016

Message deleted by the author.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
09 Mar 2016

After reading Allans comment regarding track gradings, not sure if it was directed at me or not, I thought I made my comments clear but just to clarify, in a well sorted 4wd with a experianced driver and assuming the track isn't wet or ripp......

Not directed at you as such Matt, but unless I know the person reasonably well, I take most 4wder's classification of a track with a 'grain of salt'. Dont know how many times I've heard; "Middle section of Rocky is 'not hard', Lyndalls is 'easy', Phone Track is a 'walk in the park' etc etc.  Maybe those who are new or inexperienced should look at the 4WD Vic Track Classification criteria to get a basic idea. Agree it is not perfect, quite conservative actually, but a good base to start as the classification is based on standard vehicles.

Sorry, have gone a bit 'off topic' but if anyone asked how I would classify Billy Goats; 'medium/hard' in my book.

()
09 Mar 2016

Message deleted by the author.

()
10 Mar 2016

() wrote:

Hi mark, with Billy goat, we can put a experienced person in front to pick the lines and then you to follow his lines,and a experienced person behind you.Work as a group. The only bits that might give you a small problem might be the steps,we c......

Yeah that's what I had in mind mate, if Kev or I get in the poop we can winch up to one of the heavy LC's if no suitable tree presents itself.

& yes mate track building is something often forgotten, it's amazing what a difference a few rocks in a hole can make, especially with the IFS vehicles which have limited articulation.

Don (Maddon)
01 Apr 2016

() wrote:

Yeah that's what I had in mind mate, if Kev or I get in the poop we can winch up to one of the heavy LC's if no suitable tree presents itself.

& yes mate track building is something often forgotten, it's amazing what ......

i have a stock navara dual cab work ute and did billy goat during easter and was amazed at how well this little motor car did the various challenges along the way - it must have been at its limits at times and it scared me at times thinking it wouldnt make it but it never faulted - its back at work carrying building materials around the place and its a secret the car and i will keep - great great memories

()
01 Apr 2016

i have a stock navara dual cab work ute and did billy goat during easter and was amazed at how well this little motor car did the various challenges along the way - it must have been at its limits at times and it scared me at times thinking it ......

Ha ha, try doing it today when it's wet and greasy, I'll give you $1000 cash if you could do it.

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
01 Apr 2016

$1000 !! will you pay me that much??, I will leave my worn out all terrains on and wait till it really rains if you want

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
01 Apr 2016

Well my little Chinese car on road tyres should be 2to1 . So I would take 2000 big ones. Do you have pics of where you had problems?

Don (Maddon)
01 Apr 2016

() wrote:

Ha ha, try doing it today when it's wet and greasy, I'll give you $1000 cash if you could do it.

thanx for the offer - wouldnt mind given it a go but its a long way from sydney - 

Previous   1 2 3   Next