Billy goat bluff

Forum > 4WD Tracks & Destinations
1 2 3   Next
John
John (Bulldog)
29 Feb 2016

Billy Goat Bluff Track.

Billy Goat Bluff track is a challenging one at times. Located in the Alpine National Park, in Victorian High Country. @1,200 metres, this steep track edged with cliff faces and fantastic views is known as one of the Iconic climbs in the high country.

The steep rocky sections are insane. l would never try it in bad weather. It offers a challenging rocky climb that is not for those new to 4WDing. The track can be quite narrow in places, so it can be a challenge to pass oncoming vehicles. Radio communication is a must.

Not to forget on your way out to stop at The Pinnacles lookout. The veiws are amazing and is a great place to stop for lunch or a bit to eat, soak up those veiws and stretch your legs. There is a good walk up to the look out from the carpark. So carry a bottle of water and spend sometime enjoying the 360 degree veiws.

John Fritzz

Angelo
Angelo (cokeaddict)
07 Mar 2016

Hi John,

Just got back from there yesterday. I have to say mate it was a seriously good challenge. Amazing vertical climbs and it was rough as guts on Saturday. 1st low (in most sections heading up) was the only way to avoid bounce. Had some fun meeting other 4b's comming down, there was no room for errors. I loved it heaps.

Here is my 5 shot pano.

If you havent done it, you should!

()
07 Mar 2016

Hi John,

Just got back from there yesterday. I have to say mate it was a seriously good challenge. Amazing vertical climbs and it was rough as guts on Saturday. 1st low (in most sections heading up) was the only way to avoid bounce. ......

That's a magic photo,what camera did you use? Cheers

John
John (Bulldog)
07 Mar 2016

Hi John,

Just got back from there yesterday. I have to say mate it was a seriously good challenge. Amazing vertical climbs and it was rough as guts on Saturday. 1st low (in most sections heading up) was the only way to avoid bounce. ......

Billy Goat Bluff track is always lots of fun. l'm glade to hear that you enjoyed it mate. Come join me on some of my trips. it's always fun.

Angelo
Angelo (cokeaddict)
07 Mar 2016

() wrote:

That's a magic photo,what camera did you use? Cheers

Hi Gary, 

Thanks mate, I use the Sony a7s. Its amazing for low light photography. I mainly use it for astrophotography. 

Angelo
Angelo (cokeaddict)
07 Mar 2016

Billy Goat Bluff track is always lots of fun. l'm glade to hear that you enjoyed it mate. Come join me on some of my trips. it's always fun.

I did enjoy that 1 heaps.

I am keeping an eye out for trips. I think the old girl is due for a service after the last 2 trips, she has copped a hiding. Might give her a rest for a few weeks and make sure everything is greased and lubed for her next mission.

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
07 Mar 2016

Hi John,

That's a fantastic pic. I was going to ask where it was then realised its at the pinnacles. maybe I need something better than my camera phone

Angelo
Angelo (cokeaddict)
07 Mar 2016

That's a fantastic pic. I was going to ask where it was then realised its at the pinnacles. maybe I need something better than my camera phone

Thank you Dennis, 

Camera Phones are cool but I just enjoy photography as much as 4wding. Glad you enjoyed the pic mate.

Alex
Alex (AlexPatrol)
08 Mar 2016

Im heading up there at easter, haven't done billy's or blue rag so looking forward to it . My son likes his photography so I'll show him your pic, he'll be keen as. 

Angelo
Angelo (cokeaddict)
08 Mar 2016

Im heading up there at easter, haven't done billy's or blue rag so looking forward to it . My son likes his photography so I'll show him your pic, he'll be keen as. 

Hi Alex,

Blue Rag was amazing too mate. Beautiful up there on a clear day. If you have time mate, once you get to the top of blue rag, follow the track to the river, its a great steep ride. Most people turn back once they reach the top. Hope your son has a great day with his dad. let me know what he though about the trip.

Ange 

()
08 Mar 2016

Hi John,

I give up I don't know who to listen to. frown

Some say chewed up and rough and others say piss easy and can do on road tyres.

All these differing opinions make it hard to plan a easy/med trip.

Great pic though, hope my Ranger will get me up there.

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
08 Mar 2016

Thats the thing Mark, everyone rates tracks differently, I would rate Billy goats as easy but some will rate it as hard, it all depends on experience and vehicle. A dedicated 4wd (patrol, cruiser, disco, pajero etc) will always do it easyer than a twin cab work ute (ranger hilux triton etc) simply due to suspension design and the abillity to flex more

()
08 Mar 2016

Yeah, IFS are pretty crap on highly undulating terrain, lifting wheels whith no lockers isn't great.

Angelo
Angelo (cokeaddict)
08 Mar 2016

() wrote:

Yeah, IFS are pretty crap on highly undulating terrain, lifting wheels whith no lockers isn't great.

Mark,

You will be fine mate. You will love it. No cowboy stuff and ifs works fine up there. My comments were just as i see tracks in comparison to past tracks I have done. So as mentioned by others, we all rate things differently. Bottom line is though mate, you will easily get there and back, it's just one of those amazing tracks that has alot of surprises from day to day.

I didn't mean to put anyone off. I loved it heaps.

()
08 Mar 2016

No worries mate, those bloody Land Cruisers on the trip can drag me up.

I might even be able to have a little nap while they drag me upangel

1 2 3   Next