Blue Rag Range Track info

Forum > 4WD Tracks & Destinations
Angelo
Angelo (cokeaddict)
04 Feb 2016

Hey guys,

Planning a trip to Blue rag track, looking at the google map for directions from Cranbourne North, It's telling me the quickest would be up via Seymour - Benalla - Through Bright which ends up being 5Hours 13 Minuteswitna distance of 420Km

Thats a boring drive IMO so would prefer to head in there using the A1  being 5Hours 33 Minutes and 441Km through Morwell - Rosedale - Sale etc. Question is, Once I hit Sale can i head north through Dargo up to Blue Rag OR do I have to go through Bairnsdale - Swift Creek - Omeo?

If heading North fom Sale means Its a very slow winding road then I perfer taking the Swift Creek drive.

Any locals share some opinions on which way they would go?

Thanks in advance guys.

Daniel
Daniel (wj_dan)
05 Feb 2016

If your going through Sale then the fastest way to Bluerag is pretty much straight north to Dargo. No need to go all the way to Bairnsdale. The way Joel and I let the trip we did last year was the fastest way to Dargo. 

Into Stratford, straight through at the roundabout towards Briagalong.
Veer left onto Stockdale (only couple ks out of Stratford)
Turn right onto Beverlys road
Left on to the main road to Dargo
Once at dargo, pot at the pub then straight on up the high country road all the way to the turn off.

Road is sealed all the way to the Grant / Talbotville turn off. Its not really that windy either, only couple short sections. 

Enjoy. and send me some pics, we missed out last time with all that fog. 

Ivan
Ivan (sopi)
06 Feb 2016

Hi Angelo,
I would confirm everything that Daniel posted and add: The unsealed road from the Grant turnoff to the Blue Rag turnoff (Dargo High Plains Road) is one of the most pleasant and scenic drives anyone could do, even in a std. 2WD car. It follows a relatively straight root along a ridge, right across the high country. Don't forget to take a camera or two.

Steve
Steve (red 80)
06 Feb 2016

Like what Daniel said go through dargo
Been on trip from opposite direction
Would consider coming what date ?

Dez (dezezez)
06 Feb 2016

Agree with what's already been said

the drive through myrtleford / Bright / Harrietville etc is still fairly nice and brings you almost to the star of he blue rag track

great trip though, I did blue rag / crooked river / billy goat bluff in late November and it was awesome

Peter Hales (halesy)
06 Feb 2016

Agree with everything that's previously been said. Have a great trip. Halesy

Angelo
Angelo (cokeaddict)
07 Feb 2016

If your going through Sale then the fastest way to Bluerag is pretty much straight north to Dargo. No need to go all the way to Bairnsdale. The way Joel and I let the trip we did last year was the fastest way to Dargo. 

Into Str......

Hey buddy hows you?

Thanks for the info. I decided to leave friday afternoon and got home about 3pm today. 

Had a blast. Decided to put the maps away and do a "anything goes" trip. Wasnt the smoothest of starts as I took a wrong turn somewhere and decided to see where it took me. By 9pm I was hungry and thinking this was a bad move. Anyway It ended up being the best "no idea where i am" trip ever. I finally saw the Mt Hotham signs and decided to head up there and check things out. Forgot to mention it was DARK as!! Great night drive though. Finally got to the top and decided to keep going.

About 20minutes past the top of Mt Hotham I saw this shed which was a perfect spot for some star shots so I pulled over and took a few pics. 1 hour later I headed down the hill and ended up in Bright. Kept going as I was getting tired and was looking for a spot to get some shut eye. Finally saw a sigh ... Mt Buffalo, Never heard of it so decided to take a chance. Heading in I saw the sign " have you booked your camp site yet" So figured it was a nice spot. Ended up sleeping in the car on an offramp. Not the best nights sleep but it was just for 4 hours. Woke up early when I heard a branch crack away from its tree and land 20 mteres away, that was my calling to get the hell out of there. Heading all the way up to the top of Mt Buffalo and had the place all to myself. What a beautiful place. Watched the sun rise and took more pics. Cooked breakfast and stayed there for a few hours enjoying the walks. I cannot believe they have a hang gliders "launching pad" up there. Looks fantastic. 

So headed off back through Bright until I reached the Dargo turn off sign, think it was 62 Ks from the turn off. Great dirt road too. Got to Blue Rag Rage Track and saw the most amazing views (VERY different to our last trip). On the way in, I had the place all to myself for a good 2 hours. Then some cowboys arrived and left. Decided to see where the track ended up so took off down to the end at the river. That part of Blue Rag is one of the steepest and best tracks I have done to date. It had parts that needed 1st low to climb on the way back, now that was awsome.

Got back to the top and met a few locals (from Sale) and had a nice chat with them. I was going to camp there but decided to find another spot for the night.

Now as for the pics buddy... can they be posted here or do they go somewhere else?

I got some nice shots from up there.

Ange

Angelo
Angelo (cokeaddict)
07 Feb 2016

Thanks guys for your input.

I have said this before and I will say it again, The high Country is by far the best place in Australia. You are so lucky to have it in your backyard. I had a blast guys. Met some great locals and had a few laughts,.

For those of you who have NOT done Blue Rag Range Track, DO IT !!! Don't stop at the top either (trig point), The most challenging bit is leaving the top and heading to its end. Some really good steep bits (lots of them). My only advice though would be to keep an eye on the weather if you do it, if your down there and the rains come, I think you will have your hands full getting back up to trig point. 

Note: I actually left home friday early arvo, so by the time I was past Sale is when I got the first message from you guys. still gave me some ideas so thanks alot to all.

Ange.