Critical Injury from Snatch Strap

Forum > General Discussion
Previous   1 2 3 4 5   Next

Snatch Recovery:
A snatch recovery is where one end a snatch strap is attached to a vehicle that is either stuck in mud or has simply lost traction. The other end of the snatch strap is attached to a mobile vehicle with traction. The vehicle with traction drives off and the kinetic energy generated in the snatch strap extracts the stuck vehicle.

Recovery coordinator:
Usually, this is the Trip Leader, but it is not always possible for them to be in close proximity, depending on the terrain or the length of convoy. The Trip Leader will appoint a recovery coordinator if they are unable coordinate the snatch recovery.
First and foremost, it must be determined why the vehicle is stuck. In most cases ground clearance is usually the culprit, hanging the vehicle up on the diffs, suspension or gearbox. Do not assume this, as there may be hidden obstacles such as a tree root etc. The driver is to remain in the vehicle with the footbrake and handbrake on. The recovery coordinator will decide whether to winch or to perform a snatch recovery in forward or reverse, depending on the situation. Modern cars have plastic bash plates to protect the underneath of the car, which can act as a plough, filling up with mud and tearing off, if driven in reverse in thick sticky mud.

The mobile vehicle is positioned to allow around 2m of slack in the snatch strap, paying attention not to get bogged as well. Turn the engine off and leave in gear (manual) or park (automatic). The driver is to stay in the vehicle with the footbrake & handbrake on. The direction of both vehicles should be kept as straight as possible. It is etiquette for the stuck vehicle to provide the snatch strap. Inspect the snatch strap prior to use, as a nick of only 1cm can reduce its breaking strain by over 50%. During a snatch recovery, the snatch strap will elongate by around one metre.

All passengers from both vehicles must be moved to an area one and a half times the length of the strap, along with any other bystanders. Preferably attach the snatch strap to the left hand side recovery point of the stuck vehicle; if the snatch strap breaks it will be on the opposite side from both drivers. If bow shackles are needed to attach the snatch strap to the recovery point, use only rated shackles, 3.25 tonnes or greater. Hand tighten shackles, then back them off half a turn, this will prevent them from locking on. Lay the snatch strap on the ground in a straight line to the mobile vehicle. Loop approx 2 metres of snatch strap out to the driver’s side, in view of the driver from the stuck vehicle (the driver from the mobile vehicle will be able to see it in their side mirror). Ensure the snatch strap is not be twisted, as this concentrates the load onto a narrow area of the snatch strap.
Connect the other end of the snatch strap to the mobile vehicle recovery point. If a towbar is the only recovery point available ensure that it is securely attached to the vehicles chassis with a minimum of 4 high tensile bolts. Some light duty towbars are unsuitable for snatch recoveries as they are not designed for the high shock loadings that a snatch recovery places on them.

CAUTION - Never place a Snatch strap over a tow ball.

Remove the clip and pin from the hitch receiver, then slide the hitch receiver out. Place the eye of the snatch strap inside the box section of the towbar and insert the pin through the eye of the snatch strap. Attach the clip, the snatch strap is now “Live”
Once the snatch strap is connected at both ends it is considered “Live”. For safety, you should never walk over a live snatch strap. Snatch straps do break, and when they do, they recoil with a tremendous amount of force. There have been cases were a snatch strap with a shackle attached smashed through the rear windscreen of a car, narrowly missing the driver. To safe guard against this, it is necessary to place a damper over the middle of the snatch strap; a. blanket or similar will act as a 'parachute', if the snatch strap breaks.
At this point the recovery coordinator will double check all connections. If a hand held UHF radio is available they will use this to coordinate the recovery, otherwise they will use hand signals. The recovery coordinator will ask both drivers if they are ready, they will signal by hand, flashing their lights, CB radio etc when they are ready. The recovery coordinator will count:

On 1. Drivers will start their vehicles and place them in gear with handbrakes off.
On 2. The stuck driver will start to drive. 1st gear low range
On 3. The mobile driver will start to drive. 2nd gear low range
If for any reason, either driver wants to abort the recovery, they will sound their horn. Stop as soon as you are clear and remove the snatch strap, taking care not to run over the snatch strap. If this fails to extricate the stuck vehicle, repeat the process with slightly more speed.

NEVER join two snatch straps using a shackle as this can turn into a "missile" if either snatch straps were to break.
I think this is worth posting from 4x4 earth it is a good process
     fozzychops

Tony
Tony (le Dakar)
29 Jul 2015

Sue (SueK) wrote:

It turns out that I know someone who knows the poor fellow who had the accident. He was hit in the head by the shackle which we are presuming broke. They were not using a damper.. and without sounding nasty if he is with the same crowd as the p......

Hi SueK.  Have you heard any update on the condition of the boy who was injured during the snatching of his 4WD?  I hope he is pulling through?

Also, were there any further details on the cause?  Was it two snatches joined by a shackle, or was it something on the car that snapped?

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
29 Jul 2015

If the same incident that I have read about, all over the net and a thread on 4x4earth, the silly buggers where snaching of a tow ballfrown

Sue
Sue (SueK)
29 Jul 2015

Hi SueK.  Have you heard any update on the condition of the boy who was injured during the snatching of his 4WD?  I hope he is pulling through?

Also, were there any further details on the cause?  Was it two snatches jo......

I haven't followed up, but I'll drop my friend a message today and see how he is doing. :)

Colin
Colin (Col_and_Nic)
29 Jul 2015

I've been having a serious look at these.

Soft Shackles

http://www.marlowropes.com/winch-line-menu/dynaline-shackle.html

Angelo
Angelo (cokeaddict)
29 Jul 2015

Any idea of a price yet?

Tony
Tony (le Dakar)
29 Jul 2015

I've been having a serious look at these.

Soft Shackles

http://www.marlowropes.com/winch-line-menu/dynaline-shackle.html

Hi Colin.  These look very interesting.  I would be keen to look at purchasing a few of the 10,000kg ones.  They would be good for connecting two straps.  Not sure how they would go connecting to the rated recovery point at the front of my vehicle.  Would worry about the 90 degree edges of the recovery point cutting through the rope.  Not sure if this would happen but would be willing to try one out.

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
29 Jul 2015

its already very easy to connect 2 straps without useing a shackle and a stick news paper or magazine would be way cheaperyes

Colin
Colin (Col_and_Nic)
30 Jul 2015

Sorry didnt look at the site for purchase ....... was the first link I can to ... lol 

Although I have found 1 suppier in Aus and they arent cheap but what price do you put on life.

http://shop.snakeracing.com.au/blog/gator-jaw-soft-shackles-14500kg/

As for using them on rated recovery points I couldnt see a problem unless the points were already shagged and well used.

()
30 Jul 2015

I saw a youtube clip where some fellas used a 4x4 magazine to connect two snatch straps.

They were going bloody mental with the recovery, there would have been huge forces put on all components, way too much that I'd be happy with.

Anyway the magazine was in pretty good shape after it was pulled out.

This looks like a good method, is there something wrong with using a magazine?

Tony
Tony (le Dakar)
30 Jul 2015

Nothing wrong with that so long as the magazine is not taped up (i have seen people wrap tape around the magaine to hold it together).

The idea of using the magazine is that if something snaps, the magazine opens in mid air and falls to the ground rather than being a misile flying though the air.

Colin
Colin (Col_and_Nic)
30 Jul 2015

I dont see it just as a way of joinging snatches also it could be a much safer way of hooking up to your rig.

Steel breaks and does kill .... 

Anything that has the potential to save lives is well worth it.

()
30 Jul 2015

I dont see it just as a way of joinging snatches also it could be a much safer way of hooking up to your rig.

Steel breaks and does kill .... 

Anything that has the potential to save lives is well worth it.

The magazine,toilet roll,is just to stop the hoops of the 2 snatch straps from becoming impossible to loosen after a snatch

Joseph
Joseph (snowing)
03 Aug 2015

Personally have seen quite a few people just use strap to attach to what ever they can find as recovery point and not using a damper at all. So far I have seen one bumper tear apart. Lucky no one hurts.

The soft shackle looks promising, safer and lighter. Anyone tried it thou?

Previous   1 2 3 4 5   Next