Tacho playing up

Forum > Tech talk, questions
Angelo
Angelo (cokeaddict)
13 Jul 2015

hey guys,

it started 2 weeks ago but works fine for 80% of the time. can do it at idle (as in the video) or on rough corrigations. 

Just hoping someone has seen this before on a GQ and remembers what caused it.

All battery Earths are clean and tight (checked em all)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQifU5pSUsw&feature=youtu.be

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
13 Jul 2015

think there is something wrong with mine too, it hit about 5thou rpm on the weekend when I was playing...

Luca
Luca (CENTIPEDE)
13 Jul 2015

Hello Angelo I had a similar problem with my GQ 4.2 petrol about 10 years ago.  My fault was due to electrical tracking on the ignition coil (after market coil).  It was the positive side.  If you look at the positive terminal of the coil, you may see electrical tracking which is a black powdery line caused by electrical current shorting.  If you start your car in a dark garage or outside at night with no lights, with your bonet open , you may see it arcing across.

PS,     Do you have a Pirahna Ignition system fitted (points removed) or similar system ? It could also be  a cracked plastic disc rotor in the distributor 

Regards Luca

Angelo
Angelo (cokeaddict)
14 Jul 2015

Luca hi mate,

Thanks for your input. Mine is a diesel sorry should have mentioned that But i have seen what you described in many cars many years back, both ford and holden 6 cyl engines used to do it. I could see the spark running down the coil at night, looked like a lightening flash.

Anyway, I am pretty sure I will find the cause, most replies from other forums suggest its more common than we think. Most common cause being a dry solder or bad earth behind the cluster.

I will run a earth wire from the cluster to the battery first and try that, if that fails then i will take the tacho out and check all solder joints.

I am sure one of those will sort it out. 

Thanks again for the feedback guys.

Hope to see you out there.