butane gas stoves banned

Forum > General Discussion
Graeme
Graeme (100Cruiser)
16 Mar 2015

Hi all. Has anyone else heard about the banning of portable butane gas stoves, I was sent this link about them and have since done some further research to find they have been take off the shelves in nearly all stores. I know a lot if people use them (including myself) and I thought I would share this.!

http://www.expeditionaustralia.com.au/2015/03/banned-portable-butane-gas-stoves/

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
16 Mar 2015

Hi Graeme, 

I've posted this few weeks ago too 

http://www.4wdtrip.com.au/offroad/social/forum/read.aspx?originalpostid=1583&forumid=2

Graeme
Graeme (100Cruiser)
16 Mar 2015

Sorry mate I just saw your post now. They were also banned in south australia last week. Apparently they have been taken off the shelves australia wide. 

I was using mine over the weekend and after cooking dinner for 4 people I checked the can and was surprised at how hot it had got. Something I've never thought about until now. I have to admit it has got me a bit worried that there's a chance of explosion considering how remote we sometimes travel and the fact family members could be severely injured if something goes wrong.

Ive been using them for years and never given it a second thought!!!!

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
16 Mar 2015

Sorry mate I just saw your post now. They were also banned in south australia last week. Apparently they have been taken off the shelves australia wide. 

I was using mine over the weekend and after cooking dinner for 4 people I ......

Yea Graeme, I have been using them since I was born...... everyone use them........... 

Like any pressuried cans, they can explode if they are not being used properly. 

If it's a new product, they should be banned. If they have been around for decade, why the hassle? ..........

Car can kill, should they ban them? I don't understand.  

Graeme
Graeme (100Cruiser)
16 Mar 2015

Yea Graeme, I have been using them since I was born...... everyone use them........... 

Like any pressuried cans, they can explode if they are not being used properly. 

If it's a new product, they should be b......

I don't know either. When talking to the guy at anaconda he said the problem isn't with the cans it's the insulation between the can and the burner that is causing problems. Maybe because they have gained in popularity and you can buy them for next to nothing these days ( even supermarkets sell them) they're being made cheaper using thinner materials. Thus causing the problems. 

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
16 Mar 2015

I don't know either. When talking to the guy at anaconda he said the problem isn't with the cans it's the insulation between the can and the burner that is causing problems. Maybe because they have gained in popularity and you can b......

Yea, I guess are you right. Damn, have to spend on a new gas cooker now......... 

Graeme
Graeme (100Cruiser)
16 Mar 2015

Yea, I guess are you right. Damn, have to spend on a new gas cooker now......... 

Yeah me too. Anaconda have 25% off store wide at the moment so maybe I'll have to pay them a visit.

maybe I can get a credit back on my butane cookers I bought from them. Ha ha 

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
17 Mar 2015

As said earlier have been using them for years, so why now stop?? Because someone had 1 that went bang, I have seen LPG cars go bang and I am certainly not taking it off the Disco, couldn't afford to pay for the fuel when out wheeling.

I think the issues asrise when people put big pots or frying pans on them which traps more heat around the canaster causing them to get to hot. I will certainly keep a close eye on mine to see how hot it all gets when out on the Border track trip in 2 weeks. If I do find they get to hot, which I have never noticed before, I will bin it and go back to the old gas bottle stove.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
17 Mar 2015

As said earlier have been using them for years, so why now stop?? Because someone had 1 that went bang, I have seen LPG cars go bang and I am certainly not taking it off the Disco, couldn't afford to pay for the fuel when out wheeling.

I agree, think it is a bit of 'overkill' here, but I know I will not stop using mine. Was at Supacheap on Sunday & they too had removed all their stoves. Reason I was there was to buy some new butane cannisters that are CRV rated. There has been talk that many of the well known brand cannisters are not vented & this may be part of the problem. I checked the ones I had at home & threw them all out as they were not CRV rated. The ISO brand at Supacheap are, so I bought a couple of packets.

As Matt said, the big pots & frying pans should not be used & it is important to use them where there is reasonable airflow to allow heat to dissapate. Like Matt, I will be using mine on our Border Track trip, but make sure it is well away from the cars when using it....wink

Geoff (Pathmaker)
24 Mar 2015

I have seen a few cooker melted in my time, cheap plastic cases, used 1cover myself  as a wind blocker and it fkd it and my dinner. I just bought another new one after that, cheap as chips cooker, I think just about every household has one.

Im more concerned with the butane heaters, are they safe? Im using mine in the camper trailer all the time while Im doing 2015 on the road. You go thru the cans pretty quick, 2hrs on high. When ive changed the can it is also cold, wet aswell and nearly freezing almost like a cold beer should be so I cant see it ever exploding but who knows !

Ps Bunnings have cans on special, 4 x Gasmate 220g for 3.94...bargain !

Simon
Simon (1TUFFGU)
01 Apr 2015

I found the same. When I have gone to change over gas, the used one is freezing cold. If it came to that, a small offcut of bitumen insulation would fix it i think. 

In fact I am going to have a look at that now.

Tony
Tony (le Dakar)
17 May 2015

Hi All. I did quite a bit of research on these.  What I found out was that thee have been many report of them going bang. The primary reason is from people using oversized pots or plates that causes the heat to go beyond is normally boundaries toward the gas cylinder. This has overheated the cylinder causing it to explode. Then, late least year a person in NSW was killed from the same happening.  This then caused the authorities to withdraw the Australian Standard rating from the product due to the safety concerns. When you think about it, they really had no choice. Can you imagine if they continued to rate them as meeting safety standards and another person was killed.

My guess is that an overseas manufacturer will figure out a new design that counteracts this problem and that their design will meet the Australian Standards and we will eventually see a return with a similar product.  In the mean time, ovoid using large plates or oversized pots.    Tony.

Angelo
Angelo (cokeaddict)
18 May 2015

I have 2 of them. Keep 1 as a spare incase I need parts. Have used one for almost 9 years now with no issues.

But I must say in fairness I travel alone and I use it to boil the billy (approx 150mm wide and a fry pan which is same size) I also run a 3 sided wind breaker to keep the flame aiming straight up where it should be. Usually after every meal cooked I open the cover for the can and leave it there until the burner head is cool. 

What the issue is now thought might be the rangers might decide to ban these from any forest. If that becomes a reality then I will go back to the PITA gas bottle but until then I feel comfortable using it.