diff locks

Forum > General Discussion

Mark (cruiser105)
15 Feb 2015

Hi everyone. My name is mark and im new to this forum. I was wondering if anyone has any advise on whether e lockers are better than air lockers or vise versa and any advise would be appreciated.
Cheers
Mark

Angelo
Angelo (cokeaddict)
16 Feb 2015

Hey Mark,

Its like asking which cheese tastes better really.

Those who run either will convince you to go that way. I run ARB air lockers in my GQ for both diffs. I cant tell you they are better than the elockers as I have never used one in my situations. But I can tell you that on a recent solo trip to the high country I managed to get to my destination with some difficulty due to the steepness of the terrain heading in. Over night it bucketed down and getting out was going to be if not interesting but dangerous with no room for errors.

Cut a long story short.. I decided to try heading up the muddy mountain side as a stock GQ, didnt get but 20 meters before sliding back down

2nd attempt was front locker on, got 40 meters.

Back down and this time both lockers on, 1st low and dropped tyres down to 12psi ( i run 33 muddies) It was a slow climb with the occasional slide but i locked the throttle cable on at 1400rpm and sat back and watched it climb to the top.

So for me it was the 1st time I ever had to use both lockers and  1st time I used 1 low. She was steep and slippery as hell but it was the only way out so for me I swear by them. But in fairness though I do travel alone alot and its the only reason why i payed the dollars to get them both. That 1 trip alone was money well spend cause if i was stuck in that valley, I would probably not have seen a car till the weekend (i was in there on a wednesday)

Good luck with ur choice but whatever you decide, get one or 2, they are worth it if you plan on keeping your 4b for a few years.

Angelo

Mark (cruiser105)
16 Feb 2015

Thanks Angelo for your opinionon this. I think either brand wouldhave been value for money when faced with that situation. I do lean towards ARB lockers because you also have the compressor as well.

cheers

Mark