your 4wding camera or phone

Forum > General Discussion

()
22 Jun 2017

Since photography is part of 4wding ,thought we start a discussion on what cameras/phones you use, cause there is some great photos in the trip reports. myself i use a pentax k5 dslr,with sigma dc 17-70mm 2.8-4.5,the body is dustproof, but the lens isnt lol. i like the 17-70 because it gives a good zoom range for are type of photos, the 2.8 is great for taking photos of the stars and for close up shots. i shoot in jpeg and use photos straight from camera.                                                                                                                                                                                                              Also any tips are welcome,  i certainly need them .lol

Ray
Ray (Ray)
22 Jun 2017

I've been using Olympus DSLRs (since 2004 and the first camera, an E-1 still works) and now mirrorless cameras (E-M1 MkI). As in this trip: https://australianimage.com.au/the-high-country-mar-2016/, the camera was out in the rain for hours and wasn't bothered in the least (I was, as I was saturated, even with the drizabone). That's not the first or last time either and I've been similalry in rain doing documentary work. Nor does dust, mud, salt spray etc affect things, I just wash the camera and lenses under a tap afterwards as needed. That's what got me into Olympus cameras in the first place and I've stayed with them ever since. 

()
22 Jun 2017

Great photos ,slip sliding on them wet climbs, not a nice feeling when the 4wd slides where you dont want to go. awesome camera the em 1, quality images ,nice and light and compact,beats carrying a full frame dslr around.

Ray
Ray (Ray)
22 Jun 2017

Thanks.

That spot caught us out completely. One moment it was dry and the next bucketing rain and everything turning into wet clay. We were lucky that day, as we could well have been sleeping in the valley had it taken us much longer. I've experienced worse, many years ago, and don't want a repeat of anything similar.

()
22 Jun 2017

Tell tail photo of your mates going tits up, need football boots lol

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
22 Jun 2017

Good subject Gazza. These days I think most people just use there iphone/ipads; well most do on the trips that I go on. Whilst they both take pretty good pics most of the time, what lets them down is moving subjects, such as 4wds etc.

I take 3 items on my trips, a older Canon EOS1100d, Canon video camera and a Gopro. The camera has 2 lens, 18-55 and a 75-300 zoom and whilst it is 'old school' these days, still take pretty good pics. Still dont know how to use all the settings available, but am slowly learning. The video camera takes majority of my 4wding footage but the quality is not as good as I would like. On the other hand, the gopro has very good video quality but is generally a 'pita'...frown. Main issue is battery life and if I forget to turn off the wifi, lasts maybe 20 minutes.

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
22 Jun 2017

I need to get another dSLR/mirrorless camera. I had a Canon Eos 20D years ago.

For my video work I use a DJI Inspire in the air and DJI Osmo (with z-axis stabiliser) on the ground, both with Zenmuse X3 camera.

Dave
Dave (Stoops)
22 Jun 2017

Canon 7d 

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
23 Jun 2017

Canon 7d 

Nice Dave.

()
23 Jun 2017

Good subject Gazza. These days I think most people just use there iphone/ipads; well most do on the trips that I go on. Whilst they both take pretty good pics most of the time, what lets them down is moving subjects, such as 4wds etc.

Not long battery life with that gopro. do they do a bigger mah battery?

()
27 Jun 2017

Message deleted by the author.

Allan
Allan (Big Pig)
27 Jun 2017

Samsung S7, works for me .

() wrote:

Great photos ,slip sliding on them wet climbs, not a nice feeling when the 4wd slides where you dont want to go. awesome camera the em 1, quality images ,nice and light and compact,beats carrying a full frame dslr around.

Got good tip for you Gazza " always make sure you take enough sd cards. 

Just on this topic is anyone interested in buying some digital film....   I actually saw an ad on ebay years ago for it

()
03 Jul 2017

Just on this topic is anyone interested in buying some digital film....   I actually saw an ad on ebay years ago for it

They also sell cordless extension leads, there's some great deals on them.