Tablets and maps

Forum > General Discussion
1 2 3   Next
Nick
Nick (Morphen83)
17 Jun 2017

Ive read through the forum and the last time this was brought up was 2016 ( so seeing if there has been any change or improvements). Im getting an android samsung tablet and after what map apps ppl are using. The tablet has a gps receiver. Thanks for your help.

()
17 Jun 2017

Hi I use the hemaroid app, hema explore $29.00 out right.Android. You download the app then the maps for gps Nav, it can be expensive to download the maps if you are not on unlimited wifi, or download it at your public libraries free wifi lol.but you must download the maps for offline Nav, it has tracking and info on ks, altitude,ect and saves the tracks with different colours, it has the basic hema map then you zoom in and it goes to here maps, it has most track names ,some are unnamed, but you just cross reference with your paper map roof top.

Nick
Nick (Morphen83)
17 Jun 2017

() wrote:

Hi I use the hemaroid app, hema explore $29.00 out right.Android. You download the app then the maps for gps Nav, it can be expensive to download the maps if you are not on unlimited wifi, or download it at your public libraries free wifi lol.b......

Thanks Gary. Have you had any issues with the Hema app? Reading the reviews sounds like a few issues. But it also looks to be one of the best for the maps and zoom levels.

()
17 Jun 2017

Thanks Gary. Have you had any issues with the Hema app? Reading the reviews sounds like a few issues. But it also looks to be one of the best for the maps and zoom levels.

I had issues with the old version, it would go to a blank screen if you tryed to zoom in at times, Iv updated to the new version,and have had no problems, yet lol, another issue was when navigating and recording you touched the screen it would stop recording and gps signal would stop, so you had to re press gps button and record button, . The new version it stayed recording ect.

Matt
Matt (Matt86)
18 Jun 2017

Hi guys i went to buy some samsung tablets the other day from jb hifi and got told that none of the tablets they stock had a dedicated gps built in they all had some form of gps but still required a phone network connection to make it work is this correct and is there somewhere i can look this up on a website?

()
18 Jun 2017

Yeah I had the same problem, a lot of those sales people don't know there product, I got told the same for a $110 7" lenovo tablet, office works, jb and good guys all said you need phone/wifi for gps, they where all wrong, it had a stand alone gps, I had to google the mdl and search for specifications .

Nick
Nick (Morphen83)
18 Jun 2017

Hi guys i went to buy some samsung tablets the other day from jb hifi and got told that none of the tablets they stock had a dedicated gps built in they all had some form of gps but still required a phone network connection to make it work is this co......
Hi Matt as Gary said the retail shop Kids dont know their products. In the specs of the tablet under location technology you want listed GPS. This means the tablets has a GPS receiver and will work with map apps like Hema Mud maps etc. As far as i know from research.

If your unsure go to jb hi fi and test their display model. Turn to airplane mode turn location services on and open google maps. If it has a GPS receiver you will see a blue dot at ur current location.

Matt
Matt (Matt86)
18 Jun 2017

Cheers just checked spec as and says the tablet i brought has a built in gps

Matt
Matt (Matt86)
18 Jun 2017

Any one know where to get a heavy duty tablet holder for the 4wd thinkin something to that clamps to the jesus bar on the passenger side? Had a look on ebay but dont know if i trust some of the chinese looking clamps

()
18 Jun 2017

I got a cheap eBay one, and put some more single sided sticky foam on the fork bits , holds the tablet nice and tight, without them,it bounced out.

Ray
Ray (Ray)
19 Jun 2017

I wrote a short article about GPS and maps and how I use them here but if you want the long version, you can read it here though the latter is now slightly out of date.

Allan
Allan (Big Pig)
20 Jun 2017

Any one know where to get a heavy duty tablet holder for the 4wd thinkin something to that clamps to the jesus bar on the passenger side? Had a look on ebay but dont know if i trust some of the chinese looking clamps

Matt I use Ram Mounts , excellent quality but not cheap, I have my 10inch tablet and my phone mounted of the one mount with the option to swing the phone up to record through the windscreen.

Matt
Matt (Matt86)
20 Jun 2017

Matt I use Ram Mounts , excellent quality but not cheap, I have my 10inch tablet and my phone mounted of the one mount with the option to swing the phone up to record through the windscreen.

Cheers allan i was going to msg you tonight in regards to what you use in your car. Looked up ram mounts. Bloody hell yea they are not cheap for abit of plastic. Anyway ill add it to the list of mods to buy

Chris (NPSdude)
02 Sep 2017

Cheers allan i was going to msg you tonight in regards to what you use in your car. Looked up ram mounts. Bloody hell yea they are not cheap for abit of plastic. Anyway ill add it to the list of mods to buy

I got myself an old Ipad3 and loaded mud maps on it. 

The app cost about  $99, then downloaded all maps. This are scanned paper maps. The GPS cursor jumps from one map to the other. It looks to me so far that NSW and VIC at least have great 25.000:1 maps, QLD not so much and older versions, some are from the 70'! TAS also no useful maps.

I fixed the Ipad with verlcrow onto my

rear mirror. 

The previous mentioned HEMA maps and app for $23.... this are $23 /moth?

()
02 Sep 2017

The hema explore app is $23 all up.

1 2 3   Next