Mt Cole Overnighter

Forum > Your Trip Report & Experience
Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
13 Jun 2017

"Send it!"

That was the call of the trip. That, and "The Curse of Mt Cole continues..."

I managed to score a leave pass from the heavily preggers wife and ducked away as navi/winch bitch with George to my nemesis - Mt Cole State Forest. Goerge had told me "Show me the hardest tracks at Mt Cole mate".

I'll let you decide whether I succeeded.

We loaded up the GU and headed off to meet up with the other guys at the Calder Park servo. There was Richard - aka Bobby - and passenger Daniel in the newly purchased GU, Michael - aka Belvo in his tough-as GQ ute, and Nick in the very capable and well set up Triton. After a brief chat we booted off in the direction of Raglan towards our entry to the southern end of the park and air down point.

From there we wasted no time in heading to the first track of the day - Manly Point Track. Steep with granitic sand, deep ruts and a few rocky sections, it was a great warm up for the day. 

Heading on from there I guided the convoy to the infamous Powerlines Track where we entered off Fiery Creek Track up a steep ramp up section of loose soil that you'd miss if you blinked. This took us onto a slippery clay and mud surface snaking up the wide cutting through the forest. This then crossed over Tunbridges Track and red clay made way for granitic sand once again, with deep ruts with sharp edges - like Cobaw - that threatens to give way all too easily under the weight of a 4wd. We climbed up, a couple of winches being pulled out on tricky sections and came to a clearing at the base of the insanely steep section where we stopped and had a walk up ahead.

Now I cannot reiterate this enough - this is an EXTREMELY dangerous section of track. Its a loose surface, very steep - the cars are pictured on a 25 degree incline, the rock ledge past George in his hi vis jumper pushes past 50 degrees! And there is NOTHING to winch off! One wrong move and you are at a very high risk of rolling with nothing to stop your vehicle for hundreds of metres. 

We made the decision that with the damp surface that this was not the day to attempt it. Personally, I don't think I'd ever want to try it. 

So it was a turnaround to take the easy option of Garrett Track a few hundred metres to the east.

Did I say easy? My bad...

Its pretty much just as steep with a big rock garden maybe halfway up. George got hung up on a rock with his slider and diff and was facing slipping onto a nasty angle if he tried doing anything to move. Winch came out and swiftly died... I'd like to know more about the story of why the winch was hooked up to the 2nd battery - a 55AH AGM... 

With an engine bay you could cook a spit roast in, we stopped for a drink break while it cooled down and decided that as it was nearly 3pm we would just winch back down and turn around and take the easiest route to camp. Drinks and a fire were beckoning. 

And we had only actually driven one real track for the day... the Curse of Mt Cole... though there was speculation that I was the common theme with this curse, especially when I lost my phone out of my pocket on the track, not realising till we were driving down the road. Lucky we doubled back and I found it, intact.

Mugwamps camp - my first choice - was already taken, so we headed back up the road and dropped anchors at Dawson Rock - just a large clearing on top of the hill, about 1000m altitude. The fire was started up, swags and chairs out and we sat down for a cracking - and bloody funny - night of many drinks and laughs. A song made from a fart and George having something to do with pegs... can't really remember...

Next morning we got moving reasonably early, heading off into a misty and cold forest. 

Straight to Green Range Track, where we entered the eastern arm from the north, having a nice little rocky section to get us going for the day. Then we looped back around and did the western arm - the entry not much further along than the first. This took us into a great muddy section with a couple of steep climb and ruts, onto the great rock garden where Al in the Big Pig had a great wheel lift a few weeks ago. 

George came through first and took the same line Al did with an even bigger wheel lift. Top notch driving he didnt let up and just trusted he'd picked the right line and eventually the nose came down as he climbed out of the hole. Brilliant drive!

Bobby was next. The Curse struck again...

Swapped out the wheel for the spare and he got cracking up the rock garden, just not quite happy to take the hardest line without lockers but still took the hard enough line up the guts. Solid drive! 

Next up Belvo, the GQ and driving ability making it look easy.

Finally Nick crawling the Triton with ease on the same line George took.

From there, big grins on everyones faces, we headed up Mt Cole Rd, onto Chinaman Link Track to Chinamans Camp and up Telephone Track. Awesome bit of fun straight up the mountain, some good rocky sections, and a decent challenge with the damp surface. 

At the top Nick noticed a bit of an issue with the front end of the Triton and decided not to push things as the next track was to be Eversley-Sugarloaf where I'd broken the FJ's steering a few weeks ago. So we went down Cowan track to the bottom and parted ways as we turned and headed back up the mountain. 

Once again this track has me in awe. You reach the top 1/4 and it just turns nasty. When we got to the big ledge that stuffed me up, Bobby was a bit nervous but George did an excellent job in front and showed how good line judgement can be all you need. However, in this case twin lockers was also needed for Bobby and despite nearly making it the safe decision was made to winch up the ledge and the continue on. I again measured the incline and it's a staggering 60 degrees up that step. 

At the top, we headed across for our exit and end of trip track, Collier Gap Track. It starts of easily enough but then as you descend it gets steeper, rockier, slipperier and all in all more nasty. Coming down to the valley floor, passing the old wrecked Disco, on track to air up at 2.30 - we'd all agreed that was a good time to finish - things were looking good. Until I somehow got us off Collier Gap and onto an unnamed, unmarked track that narrowed to basically a motorbike track. Not sure how it happened but as far as mistakes go, this was the best kind to make!

We have named this track COAT Track. Its an anagram, you work it out.

It gets very narrow, has big rock sections, huge ruts and snakes up and down off the valley floor with some very tricky and technical sections. Massive challenge. Took us an extra 2 hours before finally spitting us out onto the road down near the bottom of Eversley Sugarloaf. 

George getting crossed up nicely:

Rocky climb on COAT:

Same climb that had Bobby jammed up on a rock and a long way from a decent tree to winch off:

Another amazing visit to mine - and several others who have now been - favourite destination in Victoria. 

Cheers George for taking me along, I can't wait to fix the FJ up and go back for the challenge. Well done to Nick, Belvo and Bobby for great driving, and was awesome hanging out with you guys and Daniel - cheers for all the laughs and good times!

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
13 Jun 2017

Will have some footage to come soon.

Allan
Allan (Big Pig)
13 Jun 2017

Once again an awesome trip report, I can't wait to get back and drive more of the nasty stuff, hope Nick's Triton isn't to worse for wear, and Georgie sort your batteries out it's not rocket science, must say that GQ tray certainly looked the goods and Winston if you diden't find your phone I feel you would be better of going home with George for a week or so 

George
George (Georgie_Kyro)
13 Jun 2017

Guys,
What can I say besides what a bloody good hard epic trip.

For those of you looking for the hardest tracks victoria has to offer this is bloody well it for me, this takes the cake.

There are numerous hardcore tracks here which in the end we chose to not complete 2 of them as Winston stated earlier as I made the executive decision as trip leader to ensure everybodies saftey and yes including my own.
This place is definitely one of Victoria's most hidden and best kept secrets.

Ever since I have had my patrol I have attempted to find the hardest possible tracks in Vic and I have to say collectively so far for me anyway this place tales the cake.
As mentioned to Winston though I pretty much drove 90% of the time without the use of a winch, there were many tracks I did complete and wondered how on earth I got up it and or if my vehicle spat something out or let go and broke something on each and every one of those particular climbs I would have literally said "Granted".

This place is not for those who cares about vehicle damage, pinstripes etc.
You are more than likely going to end up with some or multiple vehicle issues or damage.... and yes your ego will be bruised too...

I am definitely heading back out here after the tracks reopen and I plan on hitting these in the drier conditions.

The winch stopped working as my diff got caught up as it couldn't take the strain... the 55amp hour battery running the Engel had also the winch attached to it which was pretty silly of me but already have a couple other batteries sitting at home for the winch to be partnered up with (fries the power out of the main battery as it's a competition high mount warn) ;-/

Also another mention was the pucker moment where Winston and I had a butt clenching moment when we were coming down our last track and almost rolled over...

As Winston mentioned this last particular exit track reminded us both of the movie "1408" with John cussack... you know that scene where the radio starts playing that song... "we've only just begun" ....
Basically because just when we thought the track was done with a hard bit.... there was another .... then another .... then another... etc around the corner....

Whilst I'm dribbling here, I just want to do a big shout out to all of you who came along... This trip was awesome because of you, the laughs we had around that camp fire and the song made by a Fart was definitely a highlight... if nicks legs had as much traction as his tyres did he may have gotten to bed without any of us noticing....

Once again was a brilliant drive from him proving a well set up ifs (one Australia's most capable may I add) and some heavy experience behind the wheel really shows when you see this man behind the wheel.

Richard -aka bobby, mate I don't know what you used to wheel like before, but I can tell you now, by the end of the trip you seemed so much more composed and nonchalant and I could see you chewing up the experience you're gaining on the trails...
You were awesome to head out with and weren't afraid to hit the tracks at all.
You asked when you weren't sure and you listened and accepted the info passed onto you which more importantly had trust in us and the advice we gave you on what we thought was the best line to take etc...

Can't wait to head out here again in the not too distant future, the second they open the tracks up I will be heading out there again.

Ps
Last bit not least thanks to Winston for all the track knowledge and company and most importantly pictures videos and report!.
Looking forward to next time!
Ps we need an extreme banner!

El (4wd_Addiction)
13 Jun 2017

Cracking report boys. I have now firmly placed mount cole on my to do list. COAT (I won't full name it as it's a family site) sounds like a great little bonus.

Bring on summer and tracks reopening 👍

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
13 Jun 2017

AWESOME TRIP REPORT! 

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
13 Jun 2017

Great report Winston and well done all you guys who drove what seem like insane tracks. Was thinking of heading up there; not too sure now.

Steve (Stock Patrol)
13 Jun 2017

Guys,
What can I say besides what a bloody good hard epic trip.

For those of you looking for the hardest tracks victoria has to offer this is bloody well it for me, this takes the cake.

There are numerous hardcore tra......

Be sure to give me a hoy, hoy please mate..

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
13 Jun 2017

Cheers guys.

And don't think that it's only an extreme destination. There's plenty of tracks varying from easy to insane, something for everyone. And to top it off it is a truly beautiful forest with some absolutely stunning views. And very little traffic. We hardly saw another vehicle out there. Though I suspect that may be about to change... cats out of the bag now. 😂

Nick (charger265)
14 Jun 2017

Once again an awesome trip report, I can't wait to get back and drive more of the nasty stuff, hope Nick's Triton isn't to worse for wear, and Georgie sort your batteries out it's not rocket science, must say that GQ tray certai......

Yeah the Triton just smashed up the diff carrier a little bit... I could have pushed on but opted to take the safe option to ensure i made it home... I have the parts on the shelf and was really something that had been on the cards for a few months... 

Awesome overnighter... cant wait to get back there with bigger rubber... 

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
14 Jun 2017

Great report guys, love the video, top work on that Winston. Like Allan I had thought that Mt Cole would be a fun destination to test my skills but I think it might be a bit much for the Disco in its current state...

Rear locker and 33's are going in not to far in the future so will wait till then