Air locker (rear) cost

Forum > Tech talk, questions
Tom
Tom (roll_tide)
07 Jun 2017

Hi All,

just trying to gauge what the cost would be to install an air locker (arb or similar, I'm not really fussed) to my 2013 Hilux.

i can't seem to find much info about it online

cheers

Tom
Tom (roll_tide)
07 Jun 2017

To be honest, it doesn't even have to be an air locker. If there is anyone out there with alternative solutions that won't require a second mortgage, please feel free to let me know!

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
08 Jun 2017

All air and elockers are going to be expensive unless you find second hand ones....

Another alternative is to get an AUTO LOKKA, It's a mechanical locker that engages when you engage 4wd pretty much... It's probably the only cheap locker on the market and works relatively well.. you can get one for front or rear for under $500 or both for under $1k for the hilux.

I got front one for my Navara after reading a lot of positive reviews, navara has rear LSD so they only make one for the front... however yet to install it.

Link: https://www.4wdsystems.com.au/index.php?id=125&cat=148

Tom
Tom (roll_tide)
08 Jun 2017

Interesting.

i read a thread on another forum and it was ripping on air lockers saying they are a massive money pit and don't work as well as the advertising may suggest. Especially from two big name brands.

would you look at fitting it yourself, or professionally installed?

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
08 Jun 2017

Yeah lots if complaints about air leaking etc.. Usually elocker is a bit more costly upfront but more reliable.

As for the auto lokka it's supposed to be easy to install DIY.. and I'm planning on doing it myself. Got the tools for it already for tolerance etc.. So will be a shed job for me.

Tom
Tom (roll_tide)
08 Jun 2017

Yeah lots if complaints about air leaking etc.. Usually elocker is a bit more costly upfront but more reliable.

As for the auto lokka it's supposed to be easy to install DIY.. and I'm planning on doing it myself. Got the tools for it al......

Yeah I'm the same, minus the patience!

So the air locker works by compressing air in side the diff.

How does an e locker work?

And the auto locker I assume engages when you flick it into 4x4?

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
08 Jun 2017

Air locker works by compressing air inside the locker, not the diff as far as I'm aware.. Could be wrong.

Elocker is electronic.. You give it 12v and it locks electronically

Auto locker, for the navara it locks when I lock the hubs.. For Hilux might be something similar.. Not sure.

Tom
Tom (roll_tide)
08 Jun 2017

Air locker works by compressing air inside the locker, not the diff as far as I'm aware.. Could be wrong.

Elocker is electronic.. You give it 12v and it locks electronically

Auto locker, for the navara it locks when I lock......

Ah right. 

I have auto locking hubs.

i might make a phone call and suss it out. Thanks for your help 👍

Rick
Rick (Rick T)
08 Jun 2017

Hey Tom,

on YouTube, 'differential locker comparison'

great explanation on different types of lockers and how they work.

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
08 Jun 2017

Ah right. 

I have auto locking hubs.

i might make a phone call and suss it out. Thanks for your help 👍

That's even better then! You don't have to get out and lock the hubs to engage it!

Tom
Tom (roll_tide)
08 Jun 2017

Hey Tom,

on YouTube, 'differential locker comparison'

great explanation on different types of lockers and how they work.

Thanks Rick,

that mechanical locker looks the business. Not keen on the air ones. Two O rings and a heap of compressed air... no thanks! 

Ill do some investigations on suppliers 👍

()
24 Jun 2017

Thanks Rick,

that mechanical locker looks the business. Not keen on the air ones. Two O rings and a heap of compressed air... no thanks! 

Ill do some investigations on suppliers 👍

Iv got a auto locker in the rear, I personally wouldn't put one in the front [auto lokka], it's will always be locked when you engaged the transfer case, centre diff lock,in 4wd.  your steering will be a lot heavier and more wear on components. If you can go e- locker in front, engage when needed, 

ps ,they are fairly easy too fit if you have some mechanical attitude,and know how to use a dial indicator , torque wrench and feeler gauges, and read instructions properly.The auto locker is just basically a dog clutch.

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
25 Jun 2017

Most useful locker is the front as when you're climbing it's where you will lift a wheel and there goes your traction uphill.

I have front and rear e-lockers. VERY happy. I personally like it being 12v actuated as if a wire gets cut or damaged somehow it's an easy fix on the tracks. Air hoses/seals are a different story..

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
26 Jun 2017

I've had ARB air lockers for over 25 years in 2 vehicles, I tend to keep my trucks for a while....  

Me, I'd go e-lockers should I change cars and find myself 'lockerless' not because I've ever had problems with the air lockers but the associated plumbing can be eliminated with e-lockers a lot less to go wrong with a wire than air hoses AND wires.  As Winston says above.

That said my ARB's have never let me down and they are still one of, if not the strongest products on the market, axles will snap before the ARB lets go in 99.9999% of instances, seen it done on the axle dyno, and seeing as I used to work there in a previous life and was right into the sourcing of components for them, there's no cheapskate compents in there, believe me.

And I'll vouch for a rear locker only first over any rear LSD and front locker combo, having had both the practical experience over YEARS plus worked in the game for a period of time and heard all the stories.  I've also seen brand new GU patrols spinning one rear wheel on grass on the flat with the other on gravel just trying to get moving in my own back year too, LSD's are not much use at transferring toques from one side to the other, Toyota LSD's are even more pathetic, lol. 

My 2c based on industry and practical knowledge anyway :-)