End of June Snow Hunting - Rubicon Area

Forum > Trip Ideas (Expression of Interest)
Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
31 May 2017

Hey guys,

I am going away with the caravan for the last week of June just outside of Mansfield. I am planning on running a snow trip on the last day (Saturday 1st June) around Rubicon area. Anyone has much experience around that area? I went there last year and there was plenty of snow.. (1250m high on Conn Gap Track).. I only know a couple tracks.. according to hema there is another place (Bleak Hill which is 1314m high) but I never been.

I have some knowledge of easy tracks around the area but not enough to do a day trip.. anyone has any knowledge of this area? Easy iltinerary with snow? I have to tow the caravan back home on Sunday so not looking at anything more than easy to medium tracks (So forget Parks Rd going up in the wet lol)

This was me last year in the area. If I can gather some knowledge of easy tracks and enough interest I'll run a trip... otherwise I'll just go solo for a couple hours just exploring the easy tracks I know about and throwing some snow around.. don't want to drag a whole bunch of people out there for half an hour because I lack the knowledge of the area and I don't want to have to turn around a convoy if a track turns gnarly half way.

Want it to be easy pace and definately play in the snow a bit. Want it to be a family friendly trip where both kids and old kids can have some fun in the snow.

PS. This is after queens birthday so I'm sure some trakcs will be closed.

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
02 Jun 2017

Hey mate, I have done quite a few tracks last year for the Xmas gathering. most of the tracks are relatively easy except Park Road which will be seasonal closed soon. 

If you have got Mud-map or topo map which shows you the contour line, it will tell you if they are easy or not from the gradient. Again, it's best to cross reference to Roof-top map and other maps to get better ideas. 

Like we said in the other post, you can always post a trip something like "4x4 Snow Trip Explore" or something like that to set your trip standard and expectation. Then it's matters of who would like this kind of trip (many will) when route/tracks are not so certain. 

Nobody will blame you for turning around or if you can't find any snow, or if the tracks are too hard. 

I will come back with you with the tracks we have done and let you know. 

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
02 Jun 2017

Hi Kelvin,

Thanks for that. I only have Hema Maps atm, mud maps for Android is no good after reading a lot of feedback... iphone/ipad app is apparently awesome though (but I don't have apple).

Yeah I will set expectations of just an explore and see how it goes.

Thanks.

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
06 Jun 2017

Hey Kelvin,

Did you manage to compile a track list? Doing research atm and trying to draft up a rough plan to post  the trip later this week,

Thanks