Canning stock route

Forum > 4WD Tracks & Destinations

Hi guys, just looking for some advise from anyone who has done the Canning stock route.

How long should I allow for the route, we will be some a little sight seeing and stopping but more about the 4wding.

I have read that we can have fuel dropped off by the barrel at well 23 is that still the case?  On the subject of fuel how hard on fuel is the route?

finally anything we should check out while we are there?

Cheers

Nick

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
31 May 2017

Have never done it but have read a few reports on 4x4EARTH by peole that have done the whole track or sections. Fuel usage can vary a lot depending on conditions so get a recent track report, fuel drops are still available but very expensive so better to have enough.

Get onto 4x4 earth and have a read or ask there and a few people will give some great advise

Have never done it but have read a few reports on 4x4EARTH by peole that have done the whole track or sections. Fuel usage can vary a lot depending on conditions so get a recent track report, fuel drops are still available but very expensive so......

Thanks Matthew, I will check it out

Antony
Antony (Peloza79)
31 May 2017

If you have Facebook there's a page "the canning stock route". will have all the information and a lot on the history and places of interest 

Don
Don (Navigator54)
12 Jun 2017

If you have Facebook there's a page "the canning stock route". will have all the information and a lot on the history and places of interest 

Fuel is available at Kunawarritj Community near well 33. This avoids the need to leave unused fuel in the 44s at well 23. Having done it using both methods I was grateful that the well 33 option existed the 3rd time. Sadly many of the interesting areas are off-limits now but still lots to see and do. 

Cookie64 (Cookie64)
17 Jun 2017

I did it in 2012, we had planned to take 17 days but we were expecting it to get much harder and ended up doing it in 10 days

We got a fuel drum at Well 23 and it was cheaper than at Kuniwarritja but you do have to take your own pump to get the fuel out, I wasn't going to bother but a second vehicle with us wanted it so we split it 50/50, we then topped up at Kunmiwarritja. You can also get fuel at Paarngurr / Cotton Creek.

Plan to spend plenty of time in the Southern 1/2 (Wells 3 - 28 as I thought these were the most picturesque and allow a stop over day at Durba Springs it was my favourite spot. A lot of the ranges / side trips have been closed off now due to people not doing the right thing - doh!

Hope this helps

Cheers