Overnight snow and swag trip

Forum > Trip Ideas (Expression of Interest)
1 2 3 4   Next
Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
30 May 2017

Hi guys, casting for any interested persons as the colder weather approaches.  

Planning an overnight trip camping above the snowline around Mt Matlock or similar.  Will be a short notice trip has to be done based on availability of the white stuff so can't plan it weeks ahead.   It will involve a night in the snow either swagging or roof-top tenting hopefully a great photo opportunity in the morning if we get a dusting or dumping overnight while we are there.

For this reason you MUST be equipped for the cold, have a vehicle mounted winch, dual batteries, jumper leads, a radiator full of good anti-freeze and agressive A/T or M/T tyres 33" minimum in case its a dump- even snow chains if you've got them, FULL recovery gear, everyone bring some dry firewood and be prepared to huddle round a fire freezing our butts off, or sit in the car with the heater on lol.  Suggest Alpine diesel if you're an oil burner too, never know how chilly it might get or how long we might be there.........  So food and drink reserves too just in case.  Hopefully no body heat sharing.

Anyway, its something I have on the bucket list, anyone else game ? 

Cheers.   

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
30 May 2017

I would be game. Went there last year and was a blast.. would love to go there again.. however I got 32s near new agressive muddies (about 2000kms old).. how crucial are 33s? Evertyhing else is a go.

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
30 May 2017

I would be game. Went there last year and was a blast.. would love to go there again.. however I got 32s near new agressive muddies (about 2000kms old).. how crucial are 33s? Evertyhing else is a go.

32's sounds fine, really just want to make sure we don't get road-tyre equpped cars.  Bigger tyres can go out front if necessary and cut a track for the others too.

Cheers.

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
30 May 2017

Also the missus will probably want to come... is that a problem since this looks like it's a "man and swag" sort of a trip?

Matt
Matt (zyttam)
30 May 2017

A mate and me do a trip like this every year.

bring firewood is a good idea

dont go walking around in the snow

a peace of roofing sheet over fire reflects heat towards you and snow off

electric blanket in swag

thermals and a few change of clothes

firestarters to get fire going and keep going

I hope that helps

i can't wait till the stars align and the snow camp happens 

cheers Matt 

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
30 May 2017

Also the missus will probably want to come... is that a problem since this looks like it's a "man and swag" sort of a trip?

No problem, she can keep us warm hahahahaha

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
30 May 2017

A mate and me do a trip like this every year.

bring firewood is a good idea

dont go walking around in the snow

a peace of roofing sheet over fire reflects heat towards you and snow off

electric blanke......

Yep all good tips thanks Matt.  I might even take my little 750W generator and a loooong extension lead and a makeshift roof - can run multiple electric blankets for those who bring them and leads with lots of duct tape to waterproof.

Cheers.

Matt
Matt (zyttam)
30 May 2017
Maarten
Maarten (DUTCHD)
30 May 2017

G'day Alex! Subject to kids and dogs, we'd be keen if we can make it!! We'd tent it, not an issue!

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
30 May 2017

G'day Alex! Subject to kids and dogs, we'd be keen if we can make it!! We'd tent it, not an issue!

Sounds good - its state forest dogs aren't an issue and will keep you warm at night roflmao.

Colin
Colin (Col_and_Nic)
30 May 2017

Very interested just depends on when.

Maarten
Maarten (DUTCHD)
30 May 2017

Sounds good - its state forest dogs aren't an issue and will keep you warm at night roflmao.

Lol, 2 person tent.... 5 dogs...? Na, if the dogs would come, they'd sleep in the car!

Reckon I'd be interested only got all terrains on17 inch rims not sure what they work out as got a bag of firewood left from last winter trip I did  and got swag but may give awning tent a run depending 

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
30 May 2017

Lol, 2 person tent.... 5 dogs...? Na, if the dogs would come, they'd sleep in the car!

You get the cold tent and they get the warm car... hmmmm. 

Anyway, looks like there's enough bods willing if the time and weather line up, so I'll keep an eye on the forecasts. Eli said it was snowing in that area last week so it could be anytime we see a cold band heading our way.

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
30 May 2017

Very interested just depends on when.

Good to hear mate would be good to catch up !

1 2 3 4   Next