Another tour of Tallarook.

Forum > Your Trip Report & Experience
1 2   Next
Allan
Allan (allanmac)
29 May 2017

It was just before 9.30am when we all aired down at the water tanks at the beginning of Horans Tk. We had 4 of the usual 'motley crew', Matt (Discomatt), Alex (TEO-80), Neil (Love24wd) & Gazza/Jule along with a old friend who has recently joined the site, Matt (Outrage). Also attending was Greg and his son Dom who had previously been on one of my Toolangi trips and last but not least, new members Trina and Peter.

After airing down we headed off to the 1st couple of tracks to 'warm up' before arriving at the top of Phone Track. Only 3 of the group, Matt, Gazza & Peter were prepared to give it a go, so as they headed around to the beginning of the track, the rest of us took up vantage points for photos and video footage. Matt was 1st and after the Disco did some 'bonding' with a few rocks...sad, he arrived at the steep section and got a fair way up before he 'bellied out' and required a winch for a few metres then drove the rest of the way. As well as some panel damage, his winch decided to call it a day. Next up were Peter and Gazza and both did a brilliant job getting to the top. We then made our way back to drive a couple of more tracks and arrived at one where most of the group had a 'little play'...wink. We then started the descent down Steep Tk, mainly to see how it was for those who may have been interested in driving back up it later in the day.  Well, it took quite awhile to get everyone day with spotters required, (thanks to all those who helped out with this), and after we all arrived down safely, it was time for a well earned lunch break. Below is some video footage of the 1st part of the day, and as usual, the video doesnt show how steep the tracks were.

More to come, with some pics.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
29 May 2017

A few random pics from the 1st part of the day.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
29 May 2017

A few more from the 1st part of the day.

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
29 May 2017

A few more from the 1st part of the day.

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
29 May 2017

dont know what i did with that reply?!? 

but i ment to say great video and pics. i need to get out more

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
29 May 2017

Great fun trip!! Thanks heaps All for running another cracker day in the bush.

Bit of a bugger about the biffs the rear quarters got but such is life, if you tackle the hard stuff you have to except the possible consequences...

How is the exhaust on the Paj ?

()
29 May 2017

Bit of a bugger about the biffs the rear quarters got but such is life, if you tackle the hard stuff you have to except the possible consequences...

Matt, $329 12000lb and rope at 4wd super centre, not a bad price.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
29 May 2017

Glad you enjoyed Matt and yes, a 'bugger' about your panel damage and stuffed winch, but as you rightly said, damage is always possible when driving the harder tracks.

Rest of the trip report to follow.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
29 May 2017

After finishing lunch, plan was changed due to us being a little behind schedule, and nobody was interested in the slightest of attempting the climb up Steep Tk. The next track is one of my favourites in Tallarook and all enjoyed, with the possible exception of Neil...laugh. Is quite a narrow track and I could almost hear Neil cursing with the odd branch scrapping along his immaculate GU. I would hate to think what he was saying on the next track....angry.

We had now made up the lost time, but this quickly changed due to the Trip Leader stuffing up and taking the wrong track. The track we were on was basically a 'goat track' that had not seen many vehicles. There were a couple of trees over the track with me straddling over the 1st and dislodging a mudflap. Everyone else decided to go around but it did have a pretty severe drop off with an interesting side angle, but all got through safely after Pete got out the trusty chainsaw to remove a fallen tree.

It was then we came to a track junction and we all stopped to discuss which way we would go. Straight ahead was still badly overgrown and young Dom reported there were trees all over the track. So it was either right up a steep clayish section or head down. Trip Leader decided we would head down; bad decision as it did not go as planned. Very steep and slippery and the vehicle started sliding towards the embankment. Stopped and started to reverse but car was going to hit the embankment fairly hard, so decided the option that would cause the least damage was to contunue forward. Anyway cursed as the door slid along the side, cleared that and then came to a complete stop. The Paj was now wedged on a huge rock and could not go foward or back.

Discomatt checked underneath to see if there was anyway I could go forward; not possible.

Was now time to attempt a recovery, so out came Gazza's winch with all 'hands on deck'. with me stuck in the car and putting on a brave face, as I had not seen the damage as yet.

It was a super effort by everyone....yes. Gazza's 80 was wanting to come down the hill to 'bond' with the Paj, so the crew had to secure the 80 to a tree to stop it sliding down the hill. Eventually we got the car back up and decision was whether we attempt the uphill section or go back the way we came. The latter was the decision, so back we went with Matt (Outrage) getting hung up on the big branch so again out came Pete's chainsaw. It was now starting to get dark, so we headed back to the water tanks via a couple of the Tehan's tracks.

Even with the afternoon dramas and panel damage to both Discomatt's and my vehicles, it was a good day. Poor Matt also scored a stuffed winch and am sure Gazza's winch needs a rest after working so hard with the recovery. As usual, was great to get out with the group again and hoping that new members Trina and Pete both enjoyed the day. Again, BIG THANKS to everyone who put in the hard yards to get me back on the road after my 'stuff up'....blush.

Fixed the exhaust, still cursing everytime I see the battlescars but as they say 'shite can happen'. I have now put the A/T's back on as next trip will be a snow trip followed by an extended high country trip in November. Got to decide if I will get the panel damage fixed.

Again, great bunch of people to go 4wding with and hope everyone enjoyed the day. Also thanks to everyone who put up the pics and I am sure Matt (Outrage) has some pics/vido footage to put up and Alex is hopeful that he can send me some of his footage to post in this report.

()
29 May 2017

Great report and photos Allan. As usual we had a awesome time. Thanks everyone on the adventure . đź‘Ť

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
29 May 2017

Great trip report Allan!

Did anyone take the rock garden line at the top of phone track or just stick to the rutted line on the right?

Also, that track you went down that was steep and had you hung up on a rock looks a bit like the link track off brandy corner through to Willies Track and exiting out onto Tehans 2 - was it? If not roughly where was it?

()
30 May 2017

Can't wait till the snow trips.  Alex I'll be up to camping in the snow, as long we can have a fire.lol

Andrew
Andrew (whipit)
30 May 2017

yesAwesome report as always Allan.. thanks for sharing

Neil
Neil (love24wd)
30 May 2017

yesAwesome report as always Allan.. thanks for sharing

Again Allan Awesome trip Report & Pics

Great to here that you have fixed your Exhaust leak

Shame about the battle scare Allan but it could of been a hole lot worse

looking forward to the next  trip  

Cheers

Neil

Matt
Matt (Outrage)
12 Jul 2017

Apologies on the delay on making the video. A couple things cropped up, computer one was I lost my editing program with reinstalling windows, got frustrated working out a new one, finally decided to learn how to use it.

Didn't take many photos, what I took is pretty much covered above anyway, mostly video from me this time.

1 2   Next