Front end shudder when turning left

Forum > Tech talk, questions
Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
21 May 2017

Hey all just trying to diagnose a problem I've noticed since my mishap of bending the steering rack end last weekend.

Have noticed since that when turning left, particularly while accelerating or cornering at speeds over 40kmh, that there is a shudder/vibration coming from the front right, sounding like tyre lugs scrubbing the chassis. Doesn't happen at low speeds where this is minimal load on the front right.

The alignment is still out, it's going back this week to be assessed by another alignment place as to whether the alignment that was performed a week ago was incorrect (already know the answer to that). Steering has a very slight toe-in. Checked for play in the wheel for bearing issues - none evident.

My initial thoughts are the inner cv joint - would that be the general consensus? Or could I be missing something else?

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
23 May 2017

Sorry mate not up with those modern designs...

Back to the mechanicssad

George
George (Georgie_Kyro)
23 May 2017

Hey pal, please tell me you got it in to see the boys at pro axle?
They will defi Italy iron out all the stuff if you explain to them everything.

You may also have a control arm slightly loose. Be sure to check the bolts on these and any of the other front end assembly components
Keep me posted.
Will be happy to have a few cans with ya one night going over it if it's possible.
Hoping you are well mate

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
26 May 2017

Haven't been yet.

Inner CV it is. 

And guess what... the exact same thing happened today on a very mild section of track at Mt Disappointment. Bent rack end again. 

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
26 May 2017

Crap, must have a underlying problem...

Maybe its a Toymota thing, like a jeep thing but with Toyota taxwink