camping with dogs.

Forum > General Discussion
1 2   Next
Paul
Paul (furkew)
03 Dec 2014

We have left it too late as usual with booking a pet friendly campsite over new year/early Jan and wondered if anybody has suggestions on where we would be welcome with dogs at either a free or paid campsite.

somewhere in or around the high country or maybe gippsland would be nice, but 3-4 hours max from melbourne. If it means I can go out to play on a few tracks while there even better.

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
03 Dec 2014

Hi Paul,

Not sure if you want to have a pet sitter to look after your dog at home while you go camping. If yes, check out StayMe.com.au, it's a website connecting home owners to pet/house sitters. 

Cheers

Kelvin

I'm reasonably sure they allow dogs in state parks but not National parks. If this is the case there are a few campsites in and around the south of licola that are nice

Hi,

We have booked in at the Mansfield Holiday Park and there's still plenty of space. Dogs have to be on lead at all times but are welcome!!

Hope that helps,

Leana.

Paul
Paul (furkew)
03 Dec 2014

Hi Kelvin

house sitting isnt really an option as my son will be home part of the time, but being a 19 year old that loves to party, sleep in and spend the rest of his like on his playstation taking the dogs with us is the best option.

normally friends look after our dogs, but cant this year or otherwise we have always been on a friends property (500 acres) where they can do whatever they want

Paul

Paul
Paul (furkew)
03 Dec 2014

Hi,

We have booked in at the Mansfield Holiday Park and there's still plenty of space. Dogs have to be on lead at all times but are welcome!!

Hope that helps,

Leana.

Thanks Leana, but because our dogs are used to having plenty of space at home, and as well when we go camping they would drive us mad being kept on a lead at all times.

We need somewhere where they can roam a bit (they never go far)

Paul
Paul (furkew)
03 Dec 2014

I'm reasonably sure they allow dogs in state parks but not National parks. If this is the case there are a few campsites in and around the south of licola that are nice

my bad, you are correct.

ill check it out.

how busy do places like sheepyard flats/pineapple get at that time of year because I believe they are still in the state park area, and not national parks. Am I correct?

G'day Paul, there is a great little Caravan Park inland from Yarram called Tarra Valley Caravan Park. We have stayed there a few times and there is plenty to see and do and is close enough to the gipsland beaches for day trips

Paul
Paul (furkew)
03 Dec 2014

G'day Paul, there is a great little Caravan Park inland from Yarram called Tarra Valley Caravan Park. We have stayed there a few times and there is plenty to see and do and is close enough to the gipsland beaches for day trips

ive found the website, and looks good.

It does say pets allowed but conditions apply but cant find the conditions. will maybe give them a call.

Daryl Marsh (Daryl)
03 Dec 2014

Buckland valley good free camping good tracks with many hidden camp sites take my dogs most Xmas no probs

David
David (Paul Patrol)
03 Dec 2014

You can take dogs to State Parks mate but they must be on a lead. Most of the camp sites in State Parks will have plenty of other campers with dogs & lot's of people let their dogs off the lead (they are supposed to be on a lead).

This is not usually a problem as most dogs are well behaved but some become a pain in the bum. Horses, dirtbikes & wild life, kids & other dogs make the go nuts so be aware of this.

You can't take dogs into National Parks. If you drive through a National Park with the dogs, they must stay in the car.

Christmas time is heavily policed in most major camp sites so be prepared to round up the pooches & put the on a lead before the ranger sees them....big fines.

Good luck & enjoy.

Graeme
Graeme (100Cruiser)
03 Dec 2014

Sheepyard Flat at Mansfield has lots of camping and is dog friendly. Only problem is most of the tracks are in the national park so makes driving a bit harder.

There is also heaps of nice spots between Jamieson and Woods Point along the river where you can take a dog. It is all State park so you can go driving with your dog without a problem. There are also a lot of good tracks around the area too.

my bad, you are correct.

ill check it out.

how busy do places like sheepyard flats/pineapple get at that time of year because I believe they are still in the state park area, and not national parks. Am I correct?

Hey mate on the maps sheepyard flat is in the national parks area or right on the border, it's also very busy around the christmas period. Places like Jamieson, Woods point, Licola and heaps of the area around Dargo is all state forest. Like with most areas the further you go into the bush the less people there are mostly because in places like sheepyard flat you can drive a 2wd car there.

Graeme
Graeme (100Cruiser)
03 Dec 2014

Hey mate on the maps sheepyard flat is in the national parks area or right on the border, it's also very busy around the christmas period. Places like Jamieson, Woods point, Licola and heaps of the area around Dargo is all state forest. Like with mos......

G'day mate, sheepyard flat is in the Howqua historic area. There are half a dozen reserves there before you hit the national park. It gets crazy over new year but by the 3-4 of Jan it usually quietens down. We've been taking dogs up there for years and never had a problem with rangers. You can also take a dog around Mt Sterling as this is not in the national park either. Have had many an encounter with rangers up there and never had a problem. 

The good thing with Sheepyard is you get Tim the iceman come through every second day selling all the basic supplies (and sunny boys) so you don't have to track back to town if you need bread,milk etc. he will also take orders if you want something specific and pick it up from the supermarket for you too. 

Jason
Jason (JBird)
03 Dec 2014

Agree with Daryl Marsh: Buckland Valley is great, heaps of campsites and heaps of great tracks around the area. 

1 2   Next