Walhalla Weekender.

Forum > Your Trip Report & Experience
1 2 3   Next
Allan
Allan (allanmac)
30 Apr 2017

Cheryl and I headed up to the Erica Caravan Park on Thursday morning with the rest of the participants arriving somtime Friday. It rained for the majority of the 2 hour trip and for a fair bit that afternoon making me think we may not be able to drive some tracks that were planned for the weekend. Unfortunately Kevin and Martin had to pull out due to work mishaps and Dutchy late Friday due to one of his dogs becoming ill.

Neil (Love24wd) arriving early Friday morning with Discomatt and Liza not far behind. Not long after Alex, Tina and boys arrived in the LS1 Cruiser with camper van in tow. After all set up camp, we decided to head out for a drive down to Coopers Creek and across to Bruntons Bridge as the weather was gradually improving. The Thomson river crossing has changed over the years, but still can be deep at times, especially the 2nd section. Today the 1st section was nice and shallow; the 2nd section not so and Discomatt had a 'moment' when his disco stalled but he turned it on to petrol and was out in no time. Neil, Alex and myself then crossed with the water over the bonnett on Neil's and my vehicles.

We then had a easy drive to Bruntons Bridge where we 1stly drove the shallow river crossing, then had a walk on bridge that was constructed in 2009 after the original was destroyed by bushfires.

The river crossing at Bruntons Bridge.

We then headed back to camp where Gazza and Julie had set up and not long after Matthew and friend Kirsty arrived. Matthew has recently joined the site, and had been on numerous trips with us in previous years and it was great to catch up with him again and for him to meet some other members from 4wdtrip.

We then sat around the fire for an hour or so then headed across the road to the pub for dinner, (the hot rock steaks are amazing).

Back to the park to sit around the fire, have a few drinks etc with most of us 'hitting the sack' by 10ish as it was going to be a big day of 4wding on Saturday....smiley

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
30 Apr 2017

Just after 9am we were on our way to our 1st track of the day. We took a little side track at the back of Rawson, rather than drive on the black stuff, that might give us some idea of how wet the tracks may be, as this track can be extremely slippery after some rain. It was surprisingly not too wet which we hoped was a good omen for the rest of the day. Our 1st real track was Mormontown which is nice gentle continuous climb which bring us not far from the track that all in the group where keen to do again as some had not done it for a number of years; Deep Creek 1.

There had been conflicting reports about this track. We knew it had been graded but there were many conflicting reports about the 'ledge'. Well it is still there, but nothing like as it used to be. Same can be said for the creek bed; people have obviously moved many of the rocks. The other big change is that it is now a SEASONAL TRACK CLOSURE, along with Deep Ck 4. The steep descent down to the creek is starting to get chewed up a little now, but does not have the big ruts or ledges from years past. Is still a great drive but a standard vehicle will cop some undercarriage 'crash and bash'.

Quite a few pics of Deep Ck 1.

Many will say the creek section and the ledge is 'easy'. Yes, alot easier than it used to be, but if in a standard vehicle am not sure that I would attempt it unless you are prepared for possible damage. After the ledge it is a steep climb up to the junction of Deep Ck 2 & 4. Previously this climb was 'full on' with a section where the side angle was not pleasant and caused a 'pucker moment' for many 4wders. Since the grading this is now gone, but track is starting to get back some of its character.

We then stopped at the top and all of us were amazed at the changes that have occurred.....surprise

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
01 May 2017

Keep 'em coming Allan great report so far.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess no-one took a picture of your lethal firepit that is probably still smouldering to it's own devices in the back of the Erica caravan park........    Never have I seen chairs shuffled more hastily around the fire because of a wind change....  cough, cough......

()
01 May 2017

On the news last night they had to evacuate the Erica township from toxic fumes , caused by a fire drum. Lol

()
01 May 2017

Message deleted by the author.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
01 May 2017

'Smartarses' both of you.....wink. Yes, the new fire drum was pretty toxic the 1st night but not too bad on the Saturday. Thankyou both for your pics and will continue the report later tonight.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
01 May 2017

After everyone negotiated the ledge and the climb to the junction of Deep Ck 1,2 & 4, we stopped to see the huge transformation. What used to be a reasonably small clearing, good for a short stop for morning tea/lunch, has been logged. I guess some of it was for safety reasons after a few fires in the area...indecision.

We then made our way to one of my favourite tracks, Fultons Creek. It has a bit of everything, steep descents/ascents, river crossings etc etc.

Track was reasonably dry with only a couple of slippery sections and river crossings surprisingly low and we decided to stop at the last river crossing for a well earned lunch break.

It is a popular camp spot, (bit hard sleeping on the rocks I think), but as has become the 'norm' these days, the usual rubbish in the camp fire....angry

After lunch, we made our way to;

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
01 May 2017

This is one of the early seasonal closures; May 1, so this is the main reason we ran this trip last weekend. The descent down to the river crossing is quite steep with a good view of what we are about to climb after crossing the river, (thanks for the pics Alex..yes).

As we descended down to the river, we noticed a vehicle coming down, so we waited at the crossing until he came through, as there is little opportunity to pass vehicles on the switchbacks.

The river crossing has a steep entry with a few rocks and having a 'spotter' is advantageous. There is also a big rock in the middle of the river, so best to go slow.

After crossing the river the climb began with the numerous switchbacks; 12 if I remember correctly. To be honest they are a 'pita' with all of them being about 100 metres apart. Common practice these days are to drive up one, then reverse up to the other and so on & so on. Gazza was the only one to do this; the rest of us put up with the 3 to 5 point turns. It is a nice climb though....smiley.

We then made our way along North East Tk, (dont bother) and onto Dream Ck. The descent down to the river is steep and going in the other direction would be 'interesting', especially if really wet.

After completing Dream Ck, we discussed who wanted to continue or go back to camp. All were happy to continue as I wanted to go down Pheasant Tk as it was a track I had not driven for over 5 yrs. I remember it being heavily rutted, but not this time even though it was still steep. Our plan was to continue on to Flat's Tk but time was marching on and suggestion to turn around and head back to camp was agreed by all.

So we had one more track to complete before heading back at camp.

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
01 May 2017

Excellent trip report and photos as usual Al...... I am heading the same place (likely same tracks) this week too, hopefully it will not be too dry. I drove Deep Creek 1 and 4 in Dec. Yes, they were graded and definitely lost their characters except for the Very steep climb on Deep Creek 4 which I never attempt. 

Anyway, great to see you guys had an awesome weekend. 

By the way have you ever done Low Saddle Track near the dam? 

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
01 May 2017

Excellent trip report and photos as usual Al...... I am heading the same place (likely same tracks) this week too, hopefully it will not be too dry. I drove Deep Creek 1 and 4 in Dec. Yes, they were graded and definitely lost their characters e......

Thanks Kelvin. I suggest you dont give that steep climb on Deep Ck 4 a crack on your trip. It had logs put over it to stop people driving it, but logs were dragged away. Have no doubt you could drive it, (if dry), but as you are aware, is a track if you bugger up can have dire consequences. as some have experienced.

Low Saddle has been permanently closed unfortunately. It was a nice track and had a fantastic swimming hole down at the river.

Just a heads up, if rain continues be wary of the Coopers Ck crossing; especially Eli with no snorkel. Unfortunately you wont be able to do Trig Tk due to early track closure...sad.

Hope you have a great trip.

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
01 May 2017

Thanks Kelvin. I suggest you dont give that steep climb on Deep Ck 4 a crack on your trip. It had logs put over it to stop people driving it, but logs were dragged away. Have no doubt you could drive it, (if dry), but as you are aware, is a tra......

Yes mate, I will never attempt that climb. 

Thanks for the heaps up. I have never cross Coopers Ck before blush, will definitely assess the condition. 

Antony
Antony (Peloza79)
01 May 2017

How long ago did they close

low saddle?

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
01 May 2017

How long ago did they close

low saddle?

Antony, it was at least 4 yrs ago, longer I think. Had heard of 2 reasons for closure; 1 being contamination of river and 2; a big accident down there, but cannot confirm which, if either, are correct.

Wasnt a hard a track, especially for the likes of you...wink, so you are not missing much.

()
01 May 2017

Thanks for the trip report Allan, once again put together brilliantly.đź‘Ť

Antony
Antony (Peloza79)
01 May 2017

Antony, it was at least 4 yrs ago, longer I think. Had heard of 2 reasons for closure; 1 being contamination of river and 2; a big accident down there, but cannot confirm which, if either, are correct.

Wasnt a hard ......

I must be thinking of a different part because have definitely driven it (what shows on my map as low saddle) in the last 12 months. 

1 2 3   Next