Time to talk rubber! What are you running on your rig?

Forum > Tech talk, questions
Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
29 Apr 2017

What are you running on your rig? What do you like or dislike about them? What are your thoughts on pizza cutters vs wides? Share your personal experiences with tyres, with so many on the market it makes it a tough choice to make and with prices ranging from around $200 a shoe to in excess of $600 we all like to hear verdicts from those who've done the miles and put them to the test.

Matt
Matt (Matt86)
29 Apr 2017

So I run 37 pro comps on my patrol and there not bad came on the car and there probably getting abit old and stiff but never given me an issue. Also have a set of 33 BFG MT on a ford ranger also seem pretty good never given me an issue. 

I beleive most tyres are good just some tyres are better in some situations but I have never seen one tyre that is completely dominant over another across multiple terrains. Just my opinion cheers

Martin
Martin (BT50driver)
30 Apr 2017

I am running Comforser CF3000 32" muddies now to try and see how long they last, at $160 a pop i cant complain yet.

The yokohama geolander AT's only lasted 35000 Km so lets see how long these last.

For a soft compound muddie they are not that noisy on the road but as with almost all muddies, they are a bit slippery on wet roads.

()
01 May 2017

I've been running Cooper's only on my 4WDs - STs, STTs and now STmaxx. Happy enough with it that haven't seen the need of trying anything else.

My Troopy has split rims so restricted with what tyre to fit. As an ex truckie with some 50yrs under my belt, I personally prefer split rims to tubeless. Anyway I am using Hankook RF10 AT. Love them and highly recommend. Talking to a man today with Hankook MT. He is disappointed but looked at mine. I told him that the rears are 35000 old and the front 10000 younger. He could not believe. Almost new. I do not do much mud but many sand, dirt and rocks. They stick to just about anything. On the black, they are perfect. Quiet and love the wet.

James
James (tuffeb)
27 Jul 2017

Very happy with my pitbull rockers at the monent
Expensive tyres tho

Offer great traction and on road characteristics are great

Had sticky treps previous also a great offroad tyre not recommended for on road use as they wear out very quickly

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
07 Aug 2017

BFG All Terrains for me. 

K01's usually around 100,000klms per set over 30 years, had several sets....  Cape York, Tazzy, Vic High Country, Kimberley. Central Aus, been everywhere on 'em.  Had one blowout and probably less than 6 punctures in that time.

Usually without adjusting the pressure lol before 12V compressors fell into the affordable range for me.

Have K02's now for around 10 months, and so far they seem even better than K01's especially in rip and chip resistance when spinning them in rock.

I don't like mud so don't worry about dedicated mud tyres these days.  Spin 'em harder or just winch I guess......... 

BFG All Terrains for me. 

K01's usually around 100,000klms per set over 30 years, had several sets....  Cape York, Tazzy, Vic High Country, Kimberley. Central Aus, been everywhere on 'em.  Had one blowout ......

I am not a mud runner but do like rocks, some slime, sand and general off bitumen work. Also i do quite some highway touring. Ratio would be about 60/40 black to bush. I run split rim wheels which neccessitate having tubes. My preference as being an old fashioned truck driver needing to do many outback tyre repairs.

I am running Hankook RF10 tyres. Love them at around $225.00 each. Great for all off road work that I do. Never failed. Wet bitumen, these tyres stick like the preverbial to a blanket. Perfect steering and braking.

For serious offroad I drop to 25psi. No less due to having tubes. Highway I up to 40psi. I always carry weight, tools, recovery equip, etc.

I have 10 wheels. The first lot of 5 have worn Hankooks which still have some life but were taken off the vehicle at 850000klm. They are in storage. The 5 wheels on the car have about 40000klm and look as good as new. Understand that I rotate every 5000klm so that wear is as even as possible

James
James (tuffeb)
21 Aug 2017

Pitbulls

BFG All Terrains for me. 

K01's usually around 100,000klms per set over 30 years, had several sets....  Cape York, Tazzy, Vic High Country, Kimberley. Central Aus, been everywhere on 'em.  Had one blowout ......

BFG KO2's AT's for me too, had on for about the same time..... Alex wasnt that 20yr old 12V air compressor from ARB still under wanranty? ....lol see you the tracks soon buddy

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
15 Sep 2017

Yes replaced FOC after 10 years, not too shabby a warranty there :-)      But I suspect I got lucky on that one.

Luca
Luca (CENTIPEDE)
11 Oct 2017

For me , Centipedes hands down , nothing over 10.5 inch wide able to dig in over wet clay which is the worst crap to drive on , better than any other tyre that Ive had in my 27 years of off road driving .

Regards Luca