Dave's Border Track Trip

Forum > Your Trip Report & Experience
Andrew
Andrew (whipit)
04 Apr 2017

We met up at Calder park Macca’s stopping at Sea lake for lunch where we met Nathan who had driven from Mildura to Join the group then over the border into Pinnaroo where we toped up fuel got a fresh supply of fruit and veg that cannot be taken over the SA border then to the delight of the group we were of the black top onto Rosie pine track heading toward our first campsite for the night Pine Hut Soak.. Yay! After a quick set up drinks and dinner everyone had an early night since we weren’t allowed a campfire Yep no bush TV allowed until 15/4 oh well everyone seemed tired from the black top drive anyway.

So we were already to go and headed off at 9am in the morning to Border track I was the first person to get stuck the sand got soft I didn’t have enough momentum and went down tried going back and forwards but couldn’t get enough traction or momentum so let the air pressure down to 15 psi and reversed back gave it the berries and got up.  We then came to a dune which had four options and a bypass track Dave decided on the second from the left he didn’t quite make it so he reversed down lowered his air pressure and had a go at the first left getting up first go, I was up next Dave said give it everything you got so I put the skinny pedal to the floor and made it first go but only  just the others came up some having a couple of attempts before getting up Matt and Steve came up the second option Dave wanted to go back and conquer the second option but we now had two convoys behind us so we decided to move on. We turned off BT back into Vic and too Red Bluff camp we set up camp then went for a walk to the top of Red Bluff we could see a short cut back down so some of us scaled down the rocks and took the short cut back to camp wasn’t long and the campfire was well alight as usual many great convo’s and stories were told I had a nice log I was using as a foot rest until Matt trough it on the fire we had a visit from some fellow campers  from SA on a boys trip and two guys that rode in on bikes earlier on.

Next morning we headed along Red Buff track to Chainman’s well track stopping at sand dune on the way only four drove it Dave had Jess drive it first in his Jeep she made it on her second attempt Thurstin was next in the Navara and got up on his third go then Matt on his second go with the V8 Discovery making awesome tunes at full noise Then Steve in the Land Cruiser made it look easy.  After lunch we went along Pella Trk about 20 kms of sand woopty doo’s we then made our way to Herman’s Hill via the 2km walk.

Wasn’t long and we were back on the blacktop airing up for the drive to camp at Lake Albacutya for the night another great night around the bush TV fuelled with Mallee Roots I’d collected earlier on Chinaman’s well Trk we all packed up next morning and headed Homewood bound and that was the end of our trip well led By Dave with an awesome  bunch of 4wdtrip members.

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
04 Apr 2017

Excellent trip report Andrew!! I will upload some pictures and maybe dashcam footage of some of the dunes when I get some time hopefully later today.

The group really clicked will together and had some great time!

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
04 Apr 2017

A big thanks to Dave for running the trip and just as big a thank you to all who attended, another great trip with a fantastic bunch of people!!

Liza and I had a great time and really enjoyed the trip and company.

The Disco hasn't missed a beat since its little splutter and still no idea of the cause, all checked and cleaned and after playing with all the wireing and computers can not get it to replicate its miss, all well that ends well so fingers crossed it was a one off gremlin

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
04 Apr 2017

Thanks for the report and pics Andrew...yes. Looks as though you all had a great time and the 'weather gods' were smiling for the trip.

Steve
Steve (80_Steve)
04 Apr 2017

What a great trip with a fantastic bunch of people!!! The group really did gel well. Definitely keen to head out with this group again sometime.

Thanks for organising it, Dave!!

Cheers, Steve.

Dave
Dave (Stoops)
05 Apr 2017

Thanks Andrew great trip report and it really is the people that make a great trip and this one was a cracker. 

Steve
Steve (80_Steve)
08 Apr 2017

I just added some more photos under our 4wd trip area.