Cup Weekend plus a few days Tasmania West coast

Forum > Trip Ideas (Expression of Interest)
Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
02 Apr 2017

Hey guys, talking to a bloke who lives in Tazzie and runs unofficial west coast guided tours $100/day per car all up BYO car.  Me, I'd love to have the local knowledge available no one knows the good tracks like a local.  Thinking of going over cup weekend and the rest of the week, say 5-6 nights bush camping and exploring with this option, 3 or 4 cars, anyone interested ?  We could do 3-4 days with our guide and then have a few free days either as a group or poke around on your own. Only suggesting that as I'd like to do the Abt railway again and others may not be interested, whatever suits.

We'd have to lock it in and book spirit of tassie tix anyone keen ?

James
James (RiderID)
03 Apr 2017

Would that be $100 a day, per group?

()
03 Apr 2017

I just got back from TAS and must say, the rangers at the west coast are a very helpful bunch of people with all local knowledge and maps on hand. Personally I can't see the added value of $100 (and I'd guess it's per car) for an unofficial tag-a-long.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
03 Apr 2017

() wrote:

I just got back from TAS and must say, the rangers at the west coast are a very helpful bunch of people with all local knowledge and maps on hand. Personally I can't see the added value of $100 (and I'd guess it's per car) for an unofficial tag-a-long.

Have to agree with Andre. When you get your permit at Arthur River, the rangers give you some very detailled info regarding all the 4wd tracks in the area. Alex, I have done 4wding on the west coast a couple of times, so can give you any information/suggestions that you may require that will save all those interested in joining you some $$$$.

()
03 Apr 2017

At those sort of rates it would be deemed commercial pricing . 

Try to find more information  , and  post up a trip on this site and I am sure others will join you in the adventure.

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
05 Apr 2017

Yeah, not sure I want to lead a trip in an area I know nothing about that has expectations and financial costs (minimum getting there several hundred dollars) hanging off it. 

It's OK when you are pootling around with family or friends but if its an organised gig I like the leader to know where we are going and what I or my rig are capable of doing inside the boudarires I set for it (or myself). 

I can point my truck into a boghole like anyone else difference being I don't want to get stuck or flooded.....:-)

()
05 Apr 2017

Yeah, not sure I want to lead a trip in an area I know nothing about that has expectations and financial costs (minimum getting there several hundred dollars) hanging off it. 

It's OK when you are pootling around with family......

I understand Alex.

Tassie is on the "to do list" for me also and now my work has been busy that it limits what I can or cannot do. 

Travelling in a region I know little about would mean that I would just stick to the main tracks recommended by the rangers I guess. 

I have watched YouTube vids of tracks and from them determined what is possible and not possible . It would not be fun to have a breakdown or be stuck in new territory:)

Nick
Nick (Bagoo76)
05 Apr 2017

Would love to organise or join a tassie trip within next 12 months but $100 per day for a tag along is rather rich. as mentioned there's plenty of info out there plus helpful rangers which would allow a group of us to do something ourselves and put the $100 pd towards fuel, etc, instead of into someone's pocket without them paying any tax...

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
06 Apr 2017

Loks like there's interest but no one wants to lead and no one wants to pay.......   I'd rather pay and go than not go at all.

()
06 Apr 2017

Why do you need a "leader"?

i've done all west coast Tassie by myself with help/info/advice from local rangers.

its not that hard.... listen to advice given and use common sense - you will have a great time.

cheers

Andre

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
06 Apr 2017

() wrote:

Why do you need a "leader"?

i've done all west coast Tassie by myself with help/info/advice from local rangers.

its not that hard.... listen to advice given and use common sense - you will have a great time.

cheers

Andre

See my comment a few posts above is why.

Nick
Nick (Bagoo76)
06 Apr 2017

Loks like there's interest but no one wants to lead and no one wants to pay.......   I'd rather pay and go than not go at all.

Point taken. Unfortunately I won't be in a position. To head to tassie over the cup WE otherwise would have been glad to kick off a trip