Optus Thuraya Satsleeve

Forum > Tech talk, questions

I would be keen to hear from anyone who has used the Optus Thuraya Sat Sleeve. It all looks good on paper but what are the real experiences. Also if anyone has ever rung this device (I understand it has a satellite mobile number), I am wondering what the call costs might be.

Tony D

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
13 Apr 2017

I think GPS phones are not too reliable from the bit of research I did. I mean, they are good to have if you can afford them but many times people can't get clear reception.

Andrew
Andrew (Kimmdogg)
09 Jul 2017

I've got the Thuraya lite standard Satphone and find them ok to use.  It's purely for emergencies with the call rate at $1.50 per minute and $15 a month access fee.

i looked at the sat sleeves, but figured if your iPhone or galaxy dies then you sort of have nothing.  Where's if you have an actual separate Satphone,  it serves as a good backup. 

()
16 Jul 2017

I bought a second hand sat phone for $350. With a month-by-month contract for $25. Before I go on a trip where I need it, I activate the contract - when I am back home I deactivate it. Beauty of it is that you can call 000 without contract. On my TAS trip I didn't really need a sat phone, so I took it with me without contract just in case I need 000 where there is no mobile reception. And when the contract is active its a normal 04xxxxx number ;)

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
17 Jul 2017

So when you "pause" the contract.. do you still get charged monthly fee?

()
17 Jul 2017

So when you "pause" the contract.. do you still get charged monthly fee?

No, I don't. But there is a small re-connect fee and you get a new 04xxxxxx number each time 

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
17 Jul 2017

() wrote:

No, I don't. But there is a small re-connect fee and you get a new 04xxxxxx number each time 

What sat phone and who is your provider? That sounds like a good deal.. better than the SPOT 

()
17 Jul 2017

What sat phone and who is your provider? That sounds like a good deal.. better than the SPOT 

Don't know the model on top of my head. Got it from https://www.satphonesales.com.au/About-Us

the contract is with Pivotel