Diff lockers - nice to hear some real world experience

Forum > General Discussion
Previous   1 2
Ray
Ray (Ray)
15 Jul 2017

I don't think you have a choice when it comes to the clutch, no clutch, no go anywhere. Having a mechanically sound 4WD should always be the priority. 

I always knew the auto had poor engine braking, but I thought the manual was OK. If not, while the gearbox is out of the Patrol anyway, you'll save money in the long run if you install the reduction gear at the same time. Marks could do both at the same time.

The Runva winch has been highly recommended across the board and I can certainly vouch for its quality (I recently bought the 11XP and put it to serious use last weekend - worked a treat). If you have six minutes to kill, watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX8AkGbWBqY

I'd most certainly recommend the E-Locker (I haven't owned one, but have heard great reviews). I have owned ARB air leakers on two Patrols (front and rear) and wouldn't go back to them in a fit. 

()
15 Jul 2017

As Ray said , fix the mechanical issues first. New clutch plate, pressure plate, thrust bearing and spigot bush. Reduction gears I think you can live with out, slight tension on the handbrake will stop you from running away down hill, also if you don't plan on keeping the vehicle for a few years it be a waste of money.

Alex
Alex (AlexPatrol)
15 Jul 2017

All depends what type of driving you do but imo reduction gears aren't really needed unless you do some serious rock crawling. If you have put bigger tyres on then diff gears would be more beneficial.

Rob (Bessiethebeast)
15 Jul 2017

Ray (Ray) wrote:

I don't think you have a choice when it comes to the clutch, no clutch, no go anywhere. Having a mechanically sound 4WD should always be the priority. 

I always knew the auto had poor engine braking, but I thought the manual......

Thanks Ray, Garry and Alex for your thoughts and Ray watched your video, long haul back up that hill.  I have an ARB locker on my 80 series and I have to say it has never been really reliable, so I think it will be the elocker.  Regarding which way to go I still have not decided, but will keep you informed.

Rob (Bessiethebeast)
24 Jul 2017

Last week all the goodies arrived that I want done on the Nissan came, new Excedy heavy duty clutch ($618 on special from $775, Marks Adaptors 85% reduction transfer gears ($1495), Runva 1200 winch (paid $650 with dyneema rope - was $830 but was on sale $771 + I had some paypal credits) and some heavy duty winch points from Powerful 4x4 ($89 for 2 points).  So the old girl is booked in with my local mechanic I have been using for 10 years for next week - hoping he won't charge the $2k in quotes I got from the 4x4 installers - watch this space!

Went with the reduction gears for 2 reasons, 1. running 35 inch tyres and the second my partner has greenlit me doing a big motor converstion if the motor gets tired and if I keep the car. 

Previous   1 2