Body lift - Worth it?

Forum > Tech talk, questions
Previous   1 2 3 4   Next
Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
27 Mar 2017

What off set you running?

I spent a lot of time playing with off-set and found that +30 was the best (cant quite rember if its +30 or +20). I did very little guard chop. Can send you some pics tomorrow or i might post them in this thread.
On the Facebook group I was told +20 with 3 inch lift and a bit of guard chop.. Wouldn't +30 scrub on inside on full lock?

Pictures would be awesome mate! Would save a lot if hassle if I can fit 33s without dramas! I don't know offset of my steelies as they came with truck.. With 265 they sit EXACT flush with the guards don't stick out.

Hi Thurstain,

I have a d40 Navara with 2" lift and wouldn't consider a body lift due to engineering difficulties and allighnment issues

but i do run 33" with rock sliders and dont have to many issues with clearance or rubbing due to cutting the bottom corner of the front guards 

and a slight trim on the plastic mudflaps and pushing the bottom of the mudflap into the cut section of the guard and then resecure it using the same screw hole on the 

underside of the guard and best of all it still looks factory spec.

Cheers

Tony

()
27 Mar 2017

Shortcomings?

Half trips on here require 33s for some reason.

Locker sitting in shed. Need to find time to put in.

I'd say put lockers in and see how you go.

What tyres are you running? All terrains? Muddies?

I think the minimum 33s for trips here is more to make sure 100% stock 4WD on road tyres don't show up - I wouldn't take that to literally.

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
27 Mar 2017

Hi Thurstain,

I have a d40 Navara with 2" lift and wouldn't consider a body lift due to engineering difficulties and allighnment issues

but i do run 33" with rock sliders and dont have to many issues with cle......

Hi Tony
I believe d40's can take 33s with less effort than the d22. I currently took my mud Flaps off since I got new aggressive tyres as they were touching in full lock although probably I should trim them like you did and put them back on.

If your able to post a picture, it'd be awesome as I need to do similar on mine.

Yeah engineering it is a pain talked to various engineers and one of them agreed to certify it.. But that's why I'm asking around before I start the process

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
27 Mar 2017

() wrote:

I'd say put lockers in and see how you go.

What tyres are you running? All terrains? Muddies?

I think the minimum 33s for trips here is more to make sure 100% stock 4WD on road tyres don't show up - I wouldn't take that to literally.

I'm running 32 inch muddies at the moment.

But probably locker would be first step and see how it performs with that before attempting body lift.. Seems general consensus on here is against them.. Which actually surprised me!

Don (Maddon)
27 Mar 2017

mate / are you a member of the navlife forum / its all about navs and there are some very experienced modifiers there and a wealth of d40 info / good liuck with it

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
27 Mar 2017

mate / are you a member of the navlife forum / its all about navs and there are some very experienced modifiers there and a wealth of d40 info / good liuck with it

Yes bud. I'm a member of navlife. Mine is d22 and am also a part of the d22 group.. However people on here I been 4wding with and they know my setup some of them and I go off-roading with them.. Hoping for some better insight for my setup vs trips run here and my navaras shortcomings.

Daniel
Daniel (bigdan91)
28 Mar 2017

Hi Tony
I believe d40's can take 33s with less effort than the d22. I currently took my mud Flaps off since I got new aggressive tyres as they were touching in full lock although probably I should trim them like you did and put them back on. ......

Hey mate would you mind telling me who the engineer is? I'm also looking in to body lifts. How much did he quote to get a certificate?

()
28 Mar 2017

I'm running 32 inch muddies at the moment.

But probably locker would be first step and see how it performs with that before attempting body lift.. Seems general consensus on here is against them.. Which actually surprised me!

Stick with the 32s... on low pressures you will only gain about 1cm additional clearance but you loose some flex,power&control.

see if you can go out with someone who has the same ute with 33s and compare.

i am running 35s on a 79series (because I have massive leave packs in the back to support the constant weight) and in comparison the same ute on 33s is more capable off-road - bigger tyres are not always better.

Don (Maddon)
28 Mar 2017

Yes bud. I'm a member of navlife. Mine is d22 and am also a part of the d22 group.. However people on here I been 4wding with and they know my setup some of them and I go off-roading with them.. Hoping for some better insight for my setup vs trips run here and my navaras shortcomings.

ok gotcha

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
28 Mar 2017

Hey mate would you mind telling me who the engineer is? I'm also looking in to body lifts. How much did he quote to get a certificate?

Will pm you.

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
28 Mar 2017

() wrote:

Stick with the 32s... on low pressures you will only gain about 1cm additional clearance but you loose some flex,power&control.

see if you can go out with someone who has the same ute with 33s and compare.

i am running......

Yeah true. Loss of power is another thing to consider and also less crawling on 1st gear.

Looks like I'll stick with my setup at the moment.. Maybe go locker first.

Thanks.

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
28 Mar 2017

Thanks everyone for your feedback! Really wasn't expecting so many responses! Looks like most people ara against body lifts and I see your fair points.

Probably will concentrate on getting the front locker in first and probably 3 inch suspension lift and diff drop if needed afterwards with longer shocks to allow more front down level. Should be pretty capable with front locker and rear limited slip diff on 32s muddies after that.

Nathan (MrWolf)
28 Mar 2017

I have a 2009 d22. I have a 3 inch snake racing suspension lift in early on & now running 33 Mickey T muddies. I still get a little scrub when going hard at full lock. I still have a 2 inch body lift kit brand new sitting in my garage. Not installing due to little gain & a lot of work. Not worth expense to either get new bull bar or get it modified. Especially with all other mods installed. Remove & reinstall winch, CB, driving lights, spots and all the other stuff. 

This is my everyday driver as well as weekend holiday vehicle.  

()
28 Mar 2017

Hey Winston, no slinky Springs for me, I got torsions.. It'll go down as much as shocks let it to :)

But definitely diff drop if getting uca.. But with that setup 33s would probably not fit without scrub.. However being an IFS, 1 inch e......

Some diff drop kits come with new arms that correct the geometry . I have seen a Hilux with the axle attached below the leaf springs and ball joints flipped . It also had taller flexicoil springs up front with longer travel shocks and that gave his Hilux a massive lift without using a body lift . When I say massive - on 33" tyres it has nearly 55-60cm to the door sill. Similar to GQs u see around .

Previous   1 2 3 4   Next