Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
18 Mar 2017

Hey guys,
I been on a couple trips where people mentioned that they carry tyre tubes, so they can transform their tubeless tyre into a tube tyre on case they get a blow-out.

Anyone able to tell me from where they get these? I looked online and only saw bicycle ones and another one from an American website which didn't ship to Australia.

Ideas?

Thanks

Luke
Luke (Hiluxlou)
19 Mar 2017

Message deleted by the author.

Luke
Luke (Hiluxlou)
19 Mar 2017

I bought 2 from tyre power in Rosebud 12 months ago , give your local tyrepower a try , they may have to order them in but im sure they will help you.

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
19 Mar 2017

Oh, ok! I'll try my local Tyre Power. Didn't see anything about them on the website but looks like it's a special order thing.

Thanks

Dave
Dave (Stoops)
20 Mar 2017

Oh, ok! I'll try my local Tyre Power. Didn't see anything about them on the website but looks like it's a special order thing.

Thanks

I would get a tyre repair kit  and try to carry out a tubeless repair first before fitting a tube. Tubeless repairs can be done a lot easier than fitting a tube and usually done without taking the wheel or the tyre off. Something as small as a grain of sand left it the tyre will puncture a tube.

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
20 Mar 2017

Hi Dave. I already have a tyre repair kit with a comprehensive list of things in it, spare valves and caps and all the goods. I was curious about the tube because if you puncture the sidewall - usually tyre is done... but I think with a tube it might be saved in an emergency...

Dave
Dave (Stoops)
20 Mar 2017

Hi Dave. I already have a tyre repair kit with a comprehensive list of things in it, spare valves and caps and all the goods. I was curious about the tube because if you puncture the sidewall - usually tyre is done... but I think with a tube it might be saved in an emergency...

Nope if the side wall is damaged you can't fit a tube as the split will pinch the tube, I once repaired a 2" split in a side wall good enough to drive it out of deep creek 1. Once you damage the side wall tyre is history. 

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
20 Mar 2017

Well if that's the case, then tube is useless I guess.. Was hoping it could fix sidewall issues.

How did you fix the 2 inch side split?

Dave
Dave (Stoops)
21 Mar 2017

Well if that's the case, then tube is useless I guess.. Was hoping it could fix sidewall issues.

How did you fix the 2 inch side split?

I just used every tyre plug I had and it held long enough to get the Jeep out of a nasty situation and onto flatter ground to put the spare on

Allan
Allan (Big Pig)
24 Mar 2017

I'm happy to stand corrected on this but I was told many years ago that the modern radial tyre is not really compatable with tubes as they can cause much over heating.

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
24 Mar 2017

I wasn't planning on driving around permanently.. It's was more for emergency use only until I'm out of the track or something... But from what Dave said, probably not worth the hassle anyway.