Another bloody Ellis report.

Forum > Your Trip Report & Experience
1 2   Next
Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
11 Mar 2017

Little filming trip today purely focused on Ellis. First time for me driving it. And it's insane. For rookie driver me, my butt was puckered so tight that if I'd had a lump of coal up there it would now be a diamond.

Huge ruts, even bigger boulders, side lean galore. But above all some awesome driving by those on the drive, amazing teamwork and spotting and some great work done doing some emergency bush mechanics and drone recovery.

Thanks all for a great day. Hope you all made it home or to the mechanics safely. Was a ripper day and I again learnt a lot more.

One of those learnt topics is that I'm in no rush to drive Ellis again soon!

George
George (Georgie_Kyro)
11 Mar 2017

Killer blokes!
Killer rigs!
Killer tracks!
Can't wait for the footage!

4x4mate
4x4mate (maltalian0)
11 Mar 2017

Thanks for the report. Thanks for the awesome day everyone especially Kelvin (TREX). Also thanks to Winston for saving the fall of my drone and attempting to shake the tree by ramming the FJ into the tree. I think the tree came out first unfortunately.

Hope the inspection on GQ checks out okay. I will definately be joking you guys again soon.

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
11 Mar 2017

Thanks for the passenger seat Winston, happy to be the winch man when there is no winching needed, well not by Winston anyway.

Hope the Patrol made it to the workshop, time to replace those trailing arms in that old girl 

Great day with a great bunch of blokes

George
George (Georgie_Kyro)
11 Mar 2017

Thanks for the passenger seat Winston, happy to be the winch man when there is no winching needed, well not by Winston anyway.

Hope the Patrol made it to the workshop, time to replace those trailing arms in that old girl 

Got it there in one piece thanks Matt, it went to research, picked up nicks car, gone to thomastown removed the rear arm, pressed it straight, welded an angled bracket on it to keep it steady , installed it back on the troll and had come home showered and fed the daughter and put her to bed all by 8.30

After what that thing did today it was sad to see it bend the arm on a section of track that could be driven by a 2wd car lol

All in all a bloody awesome day by everybody

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
12 Mar 2017

Yep it was very surprising where it decided to fold itself in half and you hadn't really driven that hard before hand either, same as when mt rear diff decided to let go after being assembled incorrectly on a easy hill that wasnt hard in any respect.

I saw some great driving and line picking skills and even though I wasn't behind the wheel I learnt a fair bit about lines and options on the tough stuff.

Steve (Stock Patrol)
12 Mar 2017

Killer blokes!
Killer rigs!
Killer tracks!
Can't wait for the footage!

That's two of us..

Next one I am on, George.

New engine is in and I pick it up this afternoon..

Dave
Dave (Stoops)
13 Mar 2017

Thanks everyone for a great day, was an interesting drive home for me with the front locker trying to engage itself. 

George
George (Georgie_Kyro)
13 Mar 2017

Thanks everyone for a great day, was an interesting drive home for me with the front locker trying to engage itself. 

Damn not good. Did it sort itself out eventually?
Are they air or electronic engaging lockers Dave?
Hopefully it's all A-OK now?

Dave
Dave (Stoops)
13 Mar 2017

Damn not good. Did it sort itself out eventually?
Are they air or electronic engaging lockers Dave?
Hopefully it's all A-OK now?

It is a Auburn Ected electric locking LSD, I don't have anyway of pressing the bearing off to get to the locker mechanism at home so 

will take to work and have a look but I'm expecting it to be just the return spring not returning the lock ring all the way. I was expecting to see a broken gear but it all looks good. 

George
George (Georgie_Kyro)
15 Mar 2017

It is a Auburn Ected electric locking LSD, I don't have anyway of pressing the bearing off to get to the locker mechanism at home so 

will take to work and have a look but I'm expecting it to be just the return spring no......

Any news on this yet Dave?

Dave
Dave (Stoops)
15 Mar 2017

Any news on this yet Dave?

Diff looks as good as new inside which is good because it sounded like a broken gear. Seems that it is just due to the wrong oil, I didn't know it was a locking lsd so it needs a friction modifier. So hopefully put it all back together with the right oil and should be all good.

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
16 Mar 2017

Hey everyone just letting you know I have been working feverishly on the footage we got at ellis and combining it with the countless other hours of footage to put together a video for the site. Sorry for the wait but it's a very complex edit I'm doing.

George
George (Georgie_Kyro)
16 Mar 2017

Hey everyone just letting you know I have been working feverishly on the footage we got at ellis and combining it with the countless other hours of footage to put together a video for the site. Sorry for the wait but it's a very complex edit I'm doing.
You do your thing pal and let me.be the first to say your work does not go buy unappreciated. In fact all of you behind the scenes that day filming and now editing etc.

Looking forward to seeing it pal!

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
17 Mar 2017

How it looks at the moment...

1 2   Next