Billy Goat Bluff Track?

Forum > 4WD Tracks & Destinations
1 2   Next
Dan
Dan (Disco_Dan)
20 Feb 2017

Hi all,

Billy Goat Bluff track, anyone been there recently? A mate wants to do a last hoorah for his Range Rover before he shifts it on for something else. So, whats the condition like and more crucially, would the cars that want to tag along make it?

Defender - Mine. Winch and Truetracs front and rear. Either lead or charlie depending on the group I guess.

Range Rover Classic - Stock. Pretty sure it has A/Ts on it though, but they look like road tires. Fairly novice.

Forester (Gen 1?) - 2" lift by the looks of it, about the clearance of a stock 4runner or something. Good A/Ts, maybe BFG? Pretty good at the whole 4wd thing.

Those are the three. Assuming dry conditions, either the weekend before or after labour day to avoid traffic. Thoughts? Or should I stick with something easier?

- Dan

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
20 Feb 2017

track looks pretty good in this older video but the subie seems to do it pretty easy

Click here

well that link didnt seem to work, search google for subaru forester billy goat bluff

Ralph (Ralph_O)
20 Feb 2017

Dan,

went down Billy Goats last Saturday. The Defender and Rangie would have no trouble in either direction. Forester would only get down. I believe that gearing and ground clearance may be an issue for the Forester goin UP Billy Goats. BG was graded a while ago and certainly doesn't present the challenge it used to be.

Enjoy

Bevan (bmoody)
20 Feb 2017

Hi mate,
I will be doing it this week. I will get back to you early next week. The last time I done it was 2 years ago. Cheers, Bevan

Dan
Dan (Disco_Dan)
20 Feb 2017

The Forester did alright in the video. Anyone know if it was north to south or south to north? I've seen a couple of his videos. That poor car gets a bashing and a half haha.

Hey Ralph, did ya? How was it? Loose rocks and stuff? Ruts? Also, good point on the Subaru. I didn't check if it had low range. It looks like it would be an aweful climb for it if it doesn't. Oh! Come to think of it, the Rangie doesn't have a selectable CDL. Its one of those clutch things that react to wheel spin. Anyone have a soft-dash Range Rover Classic? How does the CDL work and how do you test to see if it does lock? Heh, things aren't looking that bright anymore.

Any chance you could grab me a photo or video of the difficult sections Bevan? I don't really want to get to the narrow section on the track to find that one is overheating and one has a blown CV or something.

Well, the backup plan is Deddick Track, although that has a couple of river crossings in it and only the Defender has a snorkel. I want to do an iconic high country track with the Rangie before he sells it. Is there a better and easier iconic track?

Luke
Luke (Hiluxlou)
21 Feb 2017

Blue rag isn't far away from Billy goats , give that a try.

Colin
Colin (Col_and_Nic)
21 Feb 2017

I read on Facebook that it was graded on Sunday and is flat again.

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
21 Feb 2017

The Forester did alright in the video. Anyone know if it was north to south or south to north? I've seen a couple of his videos. That poor car gets a bashing and a half haha.

Hey Ralph, did ya? How was it? Loose......

that video shows the forester going up, east to west

deddicks is remote and not easy. as some else posted have a look at blue rag. 

that video shows the forester going up, east to west

deddicks is remote and not easy. as some else posted have a look at blue rag. 

Deddick trail is a fair drive from billy goats, you would want to allow an extra day or a long night, in which case, you will miss some great scenery.  Won't need the snorkel unless there has been heavy recent rains.   River crossings are generally only axle deep.   As stated it is remote, no fuel.  Did Blue rag a couple of weeks ago and it is no challenge at all at the moment.  Still a great drive and great scenery though. 

Robyn
Robyn (Nanopa)
21 Feb 2017

track looks pretty good in this older video but the subie seems to do it pretty easy

Ray
Ray (Ray)
21 Feb 2017

I've been up and down Billy Goat numerous times over the years and it varies each time. I really wouldn't be asking a Forrester to go up unless it was checked first. Most of it is a doddle, but a couple of spots get worn out pretty fast after rain and lots of vehicles: http://australianimage.com.au/index.php/the-high-country-oct-2016/. Those spots might make the trip expensive.

As for the Deddick Trail, we did it in 2009 and what a letdown: http://australianimage.com.au/index.php/the-high-country-apr-2009/.

Dan
Dan (Disco_Dan)
21 Feb 2017

Hmm, the iconic Blue Rag Range Track for an old iconic blue Range Rover Classic. Seems fitting! It looks like my driveway is in worse condition than that track is, from the videos I seen. Perhaps I'll look at plotting a route starting at Mount Buller, stopping by a couple of the huts out that way, Craigs Hut and the like, hit Blue Rag then finish at Dubbo or that weird little town thing, Dinner Plain. I guess I could also do it over the long weekend without fear of being pushed off the side of a cliff every 5 minutes.

Shame about Deddick Track being remote and a bit of a disappointment. I was looking forward to doing that one one day. I guess I can't really do that one either, especially as the Rangie has a drinking problem and nowhere to store spare fuel. I'd put it on top of mine, but mine tends to play tree trimmer with low hanging branches. Oh well, I'll put that one on the back burner then. Maybe I'll do a trip on Deddick Track with a couple of kayaks strapped to the roof, then drop them into the Snowy River and kayak down the rapids! Anyone else have a kayak and a death wish? cheeky

That would be great Drew and Robyn! Enjoy the trip. I'm interested to know if it was just graded as Colin said. It would be pretty sweet if it was. I may ditch the Forester and Rangie and drag a couple of other people I know with well setup 4wds for a quick trip up there.

Mat
Mat (Rattis)
21 Feb 2017

Hey mate. I was up there a couple of weeks ago. A forester was up there too. Can't see it being a problem at all, it is was well graded, just steep (as usual). Keep in mind the downpour on Monday may have given it a few new challenges. I would rate Billy Goat as one of the easier tracks I did out there, and considering the view, it is well worth trying to shove a scoobie up there ;)

Joe
Joe (Joe_JKU)
21 Feb 2017

I did Billy Goat Bluff on Saturday. All you need is good brakes if you go down. It's graded and easy. Not a challenge at all.

Robyn
Robyn (Nanopa)
25 Feb 2017

Hmm, the iconic Blue Rag Range Track for an old iconic blue Range Rover Classic. Seems fitting! It looks like my driveway is in worse condition than that track is, from the videos I seen. Perhaps I'll look at plotting a route starting at Mo......

Hi Dan

Great drive on Thursday, stayed at Talbotville camp ground.  Driving up to Billy Goat was nice & easy crossing several water crossings, not deep at all. 

They have graded  the last one third of the track which is very rough & loose stones this is the top third.  Overall it is a breeze depending on what you are driving up the track, we have a 1997 Patrol with a 2" lift and it cleared it very well.  The first part of the track is great but dusty.   The forestry track up to the Pinnacles lookout is quite rough.   Like the other people who are commenting we have driven the Blue Rag track and found it a wonderful drive, enjoyed it immensley.

Enjoy your time away as we did.

Robyn

1 2   Next