Water/Condensation in lights

Forum > Tech talk, questions
Andrew
Andrew (whipit)
12 Feb 2017

Have water in my head lights from river crossing on last weeks trip thought it would have evaporated in last weeks heat, any tips on how to dry out and prevent from happening again? 

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
12 Feb 2017

Pull the globes out and get some of those silica gel satchels that electronic goods/vitamin tablets etc come packaged with. Tie a bit of string around the satchel and drop it into the light assembly. Thiso will soak up the latent moisture.

After its dry, replace the globes and then around the grommet smear a light layer of silicone. Just enough that it will create a firm moisture barrier.

Andrew
Andrew (whipit)
12 Feb 2017

Pull the globes out and get some of those silica gel satchels that electronic goods/vitamin tablets etc come packaged with. Tie a bit of string around the satchel and drop it into the light assembly. Thiso will soak up the latent moisture.

Thanks Winston will give that a goyes

Julius
Julius (Mishka)
12 Feb 2017

Thanks Winston will give that a goyes

Winstons tip is a good one, but it takes a little longer than, as he said take the head light globe and socket out and shove a hair dryer in there within min. it' will be dry, put the globe back in and seal it well with silicon, and wola done. If it still leaks you might have to take the head light essembly out and seal the glass to the housing where it joins, than do step one again. Gos with out saying dirty water makes the chrome in side the light  smogy so your lights want be as shiny----no big deal.

Paul Raike
Paul Raike (Block)
12 Feb 2017

Nice D40, I had the same issue with my Nav, I tend to turn the lights off before I cross water now. (When I remember.)

It was suggested that I place a fan heater on the bullbar and let it run until the condensation disappeared.

After two attempts with the condensation reappearing both times, I elected to remove the headlight and pull the globe out and let it dry in the sunlight, this worked.

I found the reason for the water entering the headlight in the first place was that a piece of foam that restricts the drain tube in the headlight body was dislodged and water was able to be sucked into the headlight.

Luckliy I have a workshop manual which showed how it should look. I refitted the foam restrictor to the drain tube and have done numerous water crossings since with no issues.