John (JDecay)
26 Jan 2017

Anyone interested in doing the Madigan, late june, early july?
JD

Drew
Drew (Drew)
21 Feb 2017

Hi JD, I'm doing the Madigan in June on a Vic Widman tag-along. We've previously done an east to west crossing on the French Line and more recently Birdsville to Wharburton Crossing via Poeppel Cnr, both solo, but thinking we'll need a little more convoy support for the Madigan.

John (JDecay)
21 Feb 2017

Hi JD, I'm doing the Madigan in June on a Vic Widman tag-along. We've previously done an east to west crossing on the French Line and more recently Birdsville to Wharburton Crossing via Poeppel Cnr, both solo, but thinking we'll nee......

Drew,

Like you, we have been all around the Madigan Line on the Simpson, and Hay River Tk, various Beadall tracks etc.  

I was seeking if there was any interest in getting a few cars together to do the Madigan.  I am not one for commercial tag-alongs.

All the information and DVDs I have seen indicate that the challenge isn't great, other than the lack of services between Mt Dare and Birdsville, which is no different to more other outback tracks.  The Madigan now looks like a 'normal 4wd' track; no longer the 'trackless' excursion of years past, with many crossings being made.

So really I was looking for others intrerested in doing it in a small convoy.

Any interest?  Probably not as you are going with Vic W.

Thanks for the response

Cheers,

JD

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
21 Feb 2017

Would love to do this crossing and a few of the other shot lines and remote trips but a 20 year old V8 isn't the 4by to do it in, reliabillity with mine is as good if not better than a new car but fuel consumption on sandy tracks is very limiting...

In the next year or 2 a new diesel will be set up for extended touring so maybe july 2019 but sadly not this year

John (JDecay)
21 Feb 2017

Would love to do this crossing and a few of the other shot lines and remote trips but a 20 year old V8 isn't the 4by to do it in, reliabillity with mine is as good if not better than a new car but fuel consumption on sandy tracks is very li......

Sounds like a plan.  We are busy this winter and next winter we are off to UK and the Camino in Aug/Sept, 2019 could be the year.  Keep me in mind, we don't need to do any thing too format thru 4wd trip.

Cheers, JD

Drew
Drew (Drew)
22 Feb 2017

Drew,

Like you, we have been all around the Madigan Line on the Simpson, and Hay River Tk, various Beadall tracks etc.  

I was seeking if there was any interest in getting a few cars together to do the Madigan.  ......

JD,

Sorry we didn't see this ealier! 

We've never done a tag-along before but we're big fans of Vic & GDT and we couldn't rustle up interest amongst our friends so decided it was the most prudent thing to do. 

Anyway, the GDT trip isn't filled yet, so if it's cancelled, I will still have confirmed annual leave from 12 June to 03 July and a fully-prepared truck for the crossing.

cheers

Drew

John (JDecay)
22 Feb 2017

JD,

Sorry we didn't see this ealier! 

We've never done a tag-along before but we're big fans of Vic & GDT and we couldn't rustle up interest amongst our friends so decided it was the most prudent t......

Drew,

Let me know if we can do it this year.  Dates are fine with me.

We have to be at Trilby Stn for volunteer farm stay role for 3 weeks from Aug 1. 

Hope to hear from you.

Regards

JD

()
02 Mar 2017

Have done the Madigan last year solo, few comments:

- it's now a formed track, that info that you need to find your own way along GPS corordinates is outdated

- only difficult thing are the claypens 

- track condition is better than French/QAA line

- it's busy, you usually have another group within CB radio range

Few pictures & videos to get an idea are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127405050@N05/albums/72157671203638145

John (JDecay)
02 Mar 2017

() wrote:

Have done the Madigan last year solo, few comments:

- it's now a formed track, that info that you need to find your own way along GPS corordinates is outdated

- only difficult thing are the claypens 

Thx for the update Andre.

JD