Must Have 4WD Maps

Forum > 4WD Tracks & Destinations
Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
26 Jan 2017

Hi guys,

I always had Hema Maps App on my tablet. However lately taking interest in paper maps as they are far more detailed and usually have actual track info (rating or notes like "very steep" etc)

Would like to know best maps to have. So far I got the Meridian Wombat and Lerderderg 4WD Map (as this is my backyard and want to do some trips there this year). Wondering what other areas are worth having a map for? Thinking something good for high country?

Would appreciate people input.

()
27 Jan 2017

I usually buy the rooftop maps, make sure you get the most current version, I have seen some shops still selling outdated versions.

I have hema explorer and it's a bloody waste of time, I know for a fact there are tracks around tallarook that have been there for bloody years, and they don't appear on it. also plenty around dargo talbotville it's either wron or has missing tracks.

I simply gave up using it as I had zero faith in it and just use paper maps now.

()
27 Jan 2017

Message deleted by the author.

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
27 Jan 2017

I agree with Gaz.  Rooftops are the ducks guts.   I use my Hema App on Ipad to tell me where I am, the Rofftops map where to go from here.

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
01 Feb 2017

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have a look at rooftop

Ray
Ray (Ray)
01 Feb 2017

Rooftop maps are the most detaild ones around, but I understand that their production (or updates) have now ceased. I predominantly use Hema maps on my tablet with Memory Map and these were recently updated and are far more accurate that the previous lot.

The most accurate maps are maintained by the CFA, who used to sell their regional maps in book form (I have the older ones) but they are no longer sold to the public. They also have all the latest updated maps on CD/DVD, which are also not available to the public. What a way to make extra CFA money if they sold these maps..

Luke
Luke (Hiluxlou)
01 Feb 2017

CFA maps x 2 .  Met a bloke out in the bush and stopped and had a quick chat about the track conditions . He was a contractor who bulldozed the tracks in this particular area , he pulled out a paper CFA map and the detail on his map was amazing it indicated v steep tracks and other track conditions with tracks that weren't on my rooftop map . I agree it would be a good revenue source for the CFA to sell these maps .

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
01 Feb 2017

Not exactly sure however I found this on the CFA website.. looks like it does sell them but rebadged http://news.cfa.vic.gov.au/news/emergency-service-map-books.html

However not sure about the book form as a map source.. flipping from one page to another?

Ray
Ray (Ray)
01 Feb 2017

A while back Spatial Vision was selling digital maps as well (I think in OziExplorer and Memory Map format).

Paging through a book isn't that difficult, but I'm most still being 1:100000 isn't al that great.