Jamieson/Woods point Weekender

Forum > Your Trip Report & Experience
1 2 3   Next
Allan
Allan (allanmac)
24 Jan 2017

It was early afternoon when most of the group arrived at Skipworth Reserve. Unfortunately it was extremely busy, so we were spread out in the campground, but we managed to reserve a spot for the 'communal fire' for Friday and Saturday nights. A few of us decided to go for a short drive that afternoon that included Ferguson Saddle, Jamieson Lookout and Sappers tracks, along with a crossing of the Goulburn River.

Alex and family were the last to arrive and then it was time for the drinks and usual 'crap talk' around the fire...wink

This continued well into the night, when a old mate arrived who has recently joined the forum.

The 'Trip Leader' advised everyone that we would head off at 9.30am the next morning, but due to 'circumstances', (trip leader struggling to surface the next morning...blush), it was just after 10am when we made our way to see the new hut on Mt Terrible.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
24 Jan 2017

After a quick driver briefing we were on our way up Polietti Tk then along Mt Terrible Tk to the hut.

We found a few side tracks that kept us interested before arriving at the new hut with some nice views along the way.

We arrived at the new hut; very impressive. We then took the required 'group photo'.

After leaving the hut, we made our way towards Moonlight Spur track and ran into the 'local law'. Ken is very well known and a nice bloke. He had not had to book anyone this weekend, apparently the previous weekend was a different story, and after a licience check, we were on our way again.

Moonlight Spur is a nice track that leads to Knockwood and Ken did say it was chewed up in some places. Everyone did a sterling job heading down with a couple of the group needing a 'spot' at one section; would not have been pretty if anyone fell in the hole.

We then arrived at the river crossing before getting back on the Mansfield Woods Point Rd.

We then all arrived at Knockwood Reserve where we had a well earned lunchbreak before heading to Webber Spur and Black River Tracks. More to come.

()
25 Jan 2017

Nice report Allan, looked like a fun trip.

What was that policeman doing, just breath tests or checking vehicles also?

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
25 Jan 2017

() wrote:

Nice report Allan, looked like a fun trip.

What was that policeman doing, just breath tests or checking vehicles also?

Licence checks Mark. Had a look at the car, took rego number etc. When I told him all the cars behind me were in our group, he just asked if everyone was licenced etc etc.

As we were talking, he said he expected to nab a few unroadworthy vehicles over the weekend. As I said in the report, he had a 'big' weekend before and expected similar on the Aust Day weekend.

Andrew
Andrew (whipit)
25 Jan 2017

Great Report Allanyes

Trav (dungarover)
25 Jan 2017

Looks like a good weekend you had, smart move going last weekend to avoid the idiots that will be about this weekend.

Trav

Alex
Alex (TEQ-80)
27 Jan 2017

Nothing to see after this, right Al ?  There's no truth to Big Kev's story about who took the chicken tracks etc.......

And repeating a lie doesn't make it the truth !

Nothing to see after this, right Al ?  There's no truth to Big Kev's story about who took the chicken tracks etc.......

And repeating a lie doesn't make it the truth !

Allan mate it was a fantastic,fun,full weekend meeting up with all you guys again. We had a great night around the fire on Friday. Got to bed early for a full days drive Saturday. That's another story the tracks and the chicken tracks some of the group chose to take. To all on this trip I had as usual a fantastic time with some great bush loving Australian's and their families,that love to get out and just look and admire this great country we really do have.. Allan I have said this on numerous occasions and I shall say it again my friend..... you are my icon of 4wdtrip.com.au. Always a pleasure and privilege to travel this great land with you that we all call Australia.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
28 Jan 2017

Finally got around to finishing this Trip Report.

3 hrs after leaving Skipworth, we arrived at Knockwood Reserve. Everyone was ready for a bite to eat and stretch the legs after the longest '10 minutes to lunch' that I can remember. Those on the trip will know what I mean...wink. Some just sat around with the pit dunnies being a welcome sight, especially for the females, whilst others went down to the creek. Dutchy's dog had a facination with collecting rocks from the creek bed,

We all agreed that Knockwood was a great place to set up camp, especially if 4wding around Woods Point, and after the mandatory group shot, we made our way to Webber Spur and Black River Tks.

Webber Spur is a nice track, nothing overly difficult, UNLESS you try a couple of the un named tracks that rejoin the main track. One in particular is the one just before the river, but the Trip Leader thought one a little earlier was the one, so suggested to those wanting the 'hard bit' go straight ahead, whilst those wanting the easier option, veer right'. Got it 'arse about' so those taking the so called easy option found it a little character building'...surprise. Came to the narly section and only Gazza & Alex went down, but unfortunately my footage did not come out...blush. Both said they not drive up it. It was now through the small river and up to Black River Tk; which is nice steep climb with everyone doing a great job. We then made our way back along Lazzarini Spur and Army Tracks to the main road. Pretty boring drive, but some firewood was collected and some of the nice campsites pointed out on the drive back to Skipworth. It had been a big day and everyone was looking forward to some dinner then sitting around the campfire to have a few drinks. Most of us 'hit the sack' a little earlier this night.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
28 Jan 2017

Next moring, most of the group started to pack up to head home, but Matt was keen to check out 'School Hill Track'. Main reason was that many had said it was closed, others saying it was open etc, so we thought we would go and see for ourselves. Eventually we found it and at the start it had a big sign saying ' DO NOT ENTER'. Fairly obvious to most that it is closed, but unfortunately there are some 4wders who cannot read, or because there is not a gate, think it is ok to proceed...angry.

We then headed up Stoney Creek track, which had a nice steep climb onto Mitchells  to make our way to the infamous Lyrebird Track.

Lyrebird Track was probably the hardest track in the Jamieson area and over time has brought many a 4wder undone with the odd rollover. Bit hard to drive now.

()
28 Jan 2017

Thanks for the great trip report Allan , some great photos and footage you took, thanks again for putting on a great trip, top weekend. Cheers garryđź‘Ť

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
28 Jan 2017

Top report Allan, yet another fantastic weekend with a great bunch of bush loving Aussiesyes

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
28 Jan 2017

After leaving Lyrebird, we made our way along Mitcheels Track and turned down Masters Track to Grannys Flat; another nice campground. Headed back to Jamieson then onto Sappers Tk again to cross the Goulburn and wash our cars before back to camp to pack up and head home. I must admit it was a shame that the others headed home home ealy as the tracks we did on Sunday morning is one of my favourite loops around Jamieson and am sure all would have enjoyed.

Seriously considered taking a 'sickie' on the Monday and staying an extra night, but thought better of it and headed home...

A very enjoyable weekend with a great bunch of people. All are great to go away with in that we all like a challenge from time to time but just enjoy being out 4wding without anyone having the need to feel they have to 'proove themselves'. We had a new addition to the group, Naomi, and she did a fantastic job over the weekend. Cant remember how many times she said;"Thank god I have a rear diff lock"...laugh, but it was a pleasure to have her join us. Also big thankyou to Matt and Neil that due to their flexibility and long arms, were able to tighten the bolts on my extractors.....yes

Also, thanks 'Big Kev' for those kind words. Will add a couple more random pics from the weekend.

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
28 Jan 2017

A few more pics,

()
28 Jan 2017

Allan, did you have a running tally between Kev saying "ARB" and Alex saying "LS1 conversion" ?

1 2 3   Next