Overnight Beginner Trip Tallarook 14th 15th Jan

Forum > Your Trip Report & Experience

We all arived on time which is a good thing. We headed of down Horans Tk towards the Forest, I was leading Naomi and her dog were second Frank and his partner were 3rd Nelson and his son Nicholas were 4th and I had Deb as my TEC ( tail end Charlene) who I must say did a fantastic job in her role as TEC, will be a pleasure to have her there all the time on my trips, I dont mean that lightly It is very re-assuring that there is someone else there looking after you trip participants Thanks Deb.  We arrived at the Tallarook State Forest sign, did a left into Stoney Creek Tk, right into Jenkin no 2 then a right back onto Horans, the plan then was do do the Tehans tracks loop, I took my Beginners down Tehans 6 hoping to go left at the bottom of that back up Tehans 5. Plan is going well at this point.

Well that didn't quite happen. I too fell victim to what I now call the (WINSTON DIVERTION), just a joke Winston as i rememberd one of your trip reports you did the same thing.   Yes folks that's right I also fell victim to the PRIVATE PINE FOREST. We eventually found our way back on track to an opening in the fence that led to Tehans Rd.

We finally got around to doing a few tracks Rocky tk, Mt Hickey,Magazine tk  looking at the possible campsites, Looked at Freemans no bikes but I hate the bollards, so we went up Freemans to Wheelers tk and eventually found our way to the Reservoir for a look. Went back up the steep climb out onto West Falls Rd and then a left or was it a right? into no2 loop looked at the large Camp, there was no grass. We moved onto the second camp on no2 loop trk. Thats where we decided to camp. But before that we did some more tracks. Eventually we arrived back at camp got the fire going got the swags and tents up......you know the rest.

around 2am ​BANG!!!..BANG!!!...BANG!!!  ​a pause and then anouther series of ​BANG!!! BANG!!! coming from the reservoir. ​They were shotgun blasts coming from the Reservoir. around 230am I heard two vechiles up on West Falls rd heading out.

Sunday Morning.

It doen't matter where you are Camped at Tallarook you are never anymore than 10min drive to the Freeman Camp toilets on the main tracks. So after the two quick trips to Freemans we headed off. this time we did the tracks on the other side of the Reservoir East Falls Rd then a right onto  Falls link rd and then another right through the gates into Falls Creek Tk. Now I must remind everyone again .....the Gradder had been through Tallarook extensivly, my group could not understand why SC gates were there.. any way we headed up Bridge tk that was a nice challenge for evreyone, (yeah they loved it).. More Drama, we cam accross a Dad and his 2 sons (kids)stopped on the trk at the bottom of STEEP TK, he was attenpting to go up Steep but he noticed a burning hole in his bonnet. He's second battery was loose and had shorted out.

So we came out onto Horans tk via Cable tk heading back to the CFA tanks to air up and head home.....​BUT!!!!!! ​I was ​not​ about to let the Tehans Tks defeat me, So I was prepared to get my group lost deep again within the PRIVATE PINE FOREST. We headed down Tehans 4 got to the bottom, passed Tehans5 heading for Tehans 6......VOILA!!!! FOUND MY ISSUE FROM THE DAY BEFORE. ​What the gradder had done was he continued on down Tehans6 all the way to the edge of the PRIVATE PINE FOREST, I did not see the left turn towards to Tehans5 the day before as the graddings had hidden it. so we went up Tehans 6 back onto Horans and to the CFA tanks and home. THE END

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
15 Jan 2017

Great report 'Big Kev' and weather was perfect for the trip. Dont worry about taking a wrong turn from time to time, we all do it....laugh.

Looking forward to seeing the pics.

()
15 Jan 2017

Well done big Kev, so many people forget Tallarook as it's so close, but it's actually a really nice spot.

Glad to see you introduced some Tallarook virgins to it.

AND I'm not surprised about your lack of navigating skills mate..... bloody artillery!!!!

Hey Kev... it was a pleasure being your TEC... i learnt a lot specially about eating dust... otflmao...
No but in all seriousness i had an awesome time and you were an excellent leader... i wouldnt hesitate going on any trip with you.. and would happily be your TEC anytime... that is till i become leader and you become my TEC... lol

HAD A FANTASTIC TIME... THANKS KEV