1 2   Next

Hi Guys,

After the Snowy River Park trip we are considering mud tyres for our Nissan Pathfinder. Our current tyers are Bridgestone Dueler 697 LT, 265/65/R17. There only 5 months old and we like them but when we bought them we didn't expect we would do a lot of 4wdriving...but we do!

We uise are Nissan daily for work and we go camping towing a camper trailer

So any thoughts of what brand, size or any other tips are welcome. What would muddies do to fuel consumption?

We do have another set of rims 16", so maybe we should have both AT and muddies??

thanks

DutchDuo

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
19 Nov 2014

Hi guys,

You may want to check out this video from 4WD Action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nqmGnd3QHk#action=share

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
19 Nov 2014

It comes down to what's important to you. 

For a lot of 4wders, "Traction" is everything. Without traction, you tend to push your car harder and may increase the risk of damaging your car. It's also more dangerous on a slippery hillcimb, as you can see the D-max nearly tipped over, which was running AT tyres. 

If you only go 4wding once every couple months, yes, MT may not be the best choice. 

Even you would take your camping trailer, but you must want to hit the track (i.e. come across mud) and leave your trailer at the camp. 

Like many of us, we probably experienced AT in the past and gradually move to MT. 

You could sell your AT for a good price for sure, and then invest in the good MT

• Mickey Thompson 
  • Maxxis
  • Goodyear

There are so many brands out there.... the choice is up to you. 

Hope this helps. 

Mud tyres are noisy, slippery and increase fuel consumption when on the far. But are sweet off it. LOL. 

Why not have the best of both worlds and watch gumtree for a set of used mud tyres as a second set. 

Swap when you go bush. 

Havd fun 

Gary
Gary (poppyg)
20 Nov 2014

Hi guys I have both. if you have spare rims go for both.best of both worlds 😀😀😀😀

Jason
Jason (FauxBogan)
20 Nov 2014

:) I have a set of 5 Summit Mud Hog 265 75 16 on 16 inch steel rims for sale. They're about 40% worn and I only want $140 each. They were $300 New. Message me if you're interested and I can send pics or you can come over and have a look. I upgraded to a larger size. These perform extremely well. 

Leppy (Mick Lepp)
20 Nov 2014

In the past when my daily driver was also my 4wd, I ran two sets of tyres which was great, I could conserve the tread on the mud tyres. Also in summer when you really don't really need mud tyres just a good a/t you have the option. If your doing sand driving and you don't have power to boot(I didnt) you are better to run a/t's. It all comes down to you and your preferences. Hope my 2 bobs worth helps. 

Thanks everyone!!

We have decided to go with a seccond set. Thanks Jason for the offer of tyres but we already have rims...

We will do some tyre hunting now!!

Allan
Allan (allanmac)
20 Nov 2014

Thanks everyone!!

We have decided to go with a seccond set. Thanks Jason for the offer of tyres but we already have rims...

We will do some tyre hunting now!!

Now the fun will begin....indecision. Think you have made a good call to run two sets, especially as your Pathfinder is your 'daily driver' & as Leppy said, in the summer months A/T's will do the job in places like the high country/Walhalla etc.

You are going to get many opinions about which is the best mud tyre, but if $$$ are not an issue consider the BFG' KM2's. Thought the earlier model was very average, especially on the 'black top' but the KM2's have excellent manners for a mud tyre. Previously I had the Mickey Thompson MTZ's; not bad but not a patch on the KM2's.

Am sure many others will help with advice.

Rowan Johnson (pnut)
20 Nov 2014

Go for Summit Mud Hogs. 265/75/16. Cheap as chips and excellent off and on road. I have mine as a 2nd set for the Hi lux.

Jason
Jason (FauxBogan)
20 Nov 2014

I have KM2's now and am pretty happy. They came 1st in the 4wd Action comparo too. Huntsman Products in braeside do them a lot cheaper than most places as they import them themselves. They have lots of other tyres also.

Brian
Brian (Hitman)
20 Nov 2014

I have 2 sets on the 200. Mickey T MTZs for mud and Mickey T ATs for the road..... But if I was to choose one set it would be the ATs.... Very aggressive tread pattern for an AT.... Quieter and good wear.... And very capable off road..... Hitman

Thanks again for all the response...as everyone have their thinking cap on....who bought there tyres were?

Leppy (Mick Lepp)
20 Nov 2014

I got my KM2 from Widetread in Ferntree Gully. Also have store in Lilydale

James
James (tuffeb)
20 Nov 2014

Bfg km2

1 2   Next