Top 10 or best 4wd Tracks near Brisbane

Forum > 4WD Tracks & Destinations
Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
10 Jan 2017

Hi guys,

Just wondering if you can list some of the best 4wd tracks near Brisbane (<2 hrs drive) in Queensland.

They can be some of the hardest, or the most iconic tracks in the area. 

Shane
Shane (rvprado)
10 Jan 2017

Big red and little red in the glasshouse mountains

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
10 Jan 2017

I'm on my way there at the moment! Might get some information etc for you if I can get some. There's a lot of beach driving for sure. Hear good things about glasshouse.

Terence Dean (diesel)
10 Jan 2017

levuka is only just across the border 2hrs from brisbane and is my pick for number one, its good camping with toilets and showers and is easy to hard, and in the wet ,some r so diffuclt in the wet your not even allowed to go on them. no 2/ glasshouse mountains, ,u really need lift ,sliders and muddies, at least one lokka, and a sense that your cars going to get a good hiding..3/ landcruiser 4wd park is better , more choices good camping, easy to hard,. 4 border ranges national park,off stonycamp road,near woodford, so many places u can go from therel.through to charlie morland camping near kennilworth, u can spend days going to imbil state forrest ,amamour so on and on,(mind u were getting further away from brissy now.5 / jenowa after a bit of rain/6 ormeou state forrest./7mt mee ,not hard jackys creek rd and abreak ,easy in the dry but can sometimes b closed after rain which is a pain but picturesst,./8

Trav (dungarover)
11 Jan 2017

Although I now live in Victoria, having lived in Brisbane for 16 years this would be my top ten.

1- Glasshouse Mountains- not for the feint hearted, some tracks are easy but a lot of them require well set-up rigs (33/35 inch tyres lockers, winch and good skills) to tackle especially Big and little red of which I have done both.

2- Levuka 4WD park near Urbenville NSW- Yes over the border in NSW but a good park that suits all levels of exprience, some of the tracks in the rainforest sections can get a bit tricky. Closed after long periods of rain for obvious reason.

3- Landcruiser Park- Good to see it has re-opened, if you want a challenge and to test your skills and your fourby this is for you. Quiet most times even hoiday season gets busy but being a big park it doesn't get to the point where your camping on top of each other.

4- Sundown NP- Great place to get some solitude, track in is rocky but easy-med. The rats castle loop is a good way to spend a couple of hours with a couple of tricky sections pending on your experience. One of the acces tracks in/out is harder and isn't too bad for a bit of a challenge.

5- Frasr Island- Pretty obvious but a great destination, the further noth on Fraser you go the morer peaceful and no backpackers to deal with but no facilities. camped on the western side once which was okay but a bit far from the attractions of fraser. if you're into not doing too much and no crowds, the western side is for you.

6- Ammamoor/Imbil/Kennilworth SF- Some good tracks to tackle ranging from easy to hard, most tracks are easy-med I found the couple of times I went there (would have liked to explore the place a bit more but never had the opptunity to do so).

7- Condimine River rd. Not really a 4WD track although you need clerance for the river when it's high but a pleasnt drive as you cross the condimine I think about 14 times (some crossing have a concreted causeway) and can be done in 2WD.

8- The Springs 4WD park- Good tracks from easy to extreme (mosyly med, it's a rocky joint) and the camping isn't too bad either complete with 'beer o'clock' hill to keep the campers amused and if you're keen to have a crack.

9- Janowen Hills 4WD park- Another 4WD park with a good range of tracks, camping is okay (could have a bit more shade). Place is easy to access too as it's bitumen all the way to the front gate.

10- Teewah beach/DI point- Good for a day trip (too many ferals invade the campsites there for my liking so never camped there) or as an alternative as you head to Fraser instead of the bitumen road via Gympie. Kings bore track is worth a detour if you have the time or you are not towing (that's if it's still open) which I would rate a med for most people. Best to avoid the busy periods like most places.

Couple of hounable mentions- Stradbroke and Moreton. The former I frequented in the late 1990's but when they closed a lot of the tracks I never bothered after that. Morten never had the opputnity to go in all the time I lived in Brisbane which was a shame. Someone once told me it was similar to Fraser, without the crowds.

Trav

Marty
Marty (Marty12345)
11 Jan 2017

Janowen, cruiser park, glasshouse mountains, Fraser Island, rainbow beach, Moreton island, city view 4wd park, scenic rim, bribie island, kenilworth/imbil state forest tracks 

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
11 Jan 2017

Thank you all for your info! 

Do you know the specific tracks (track name) if possible? 

In Victoria, I can easily list top 10 iconic 4wd tracks. We are heading to Brisbane for the National 4x4 Show Expo, so may want to go some 4wding while we are there.