We would like to do the Simpson Desert in 2015 - probably around april/may.....we have not done it before and would like to travel with some others ...any interest out there?

Evan
Evan (Fluffy)
16 Nov 2014

It would be fantastic and I envy you guys. I hope you find a few others that can go with you. best of luck.

Simon
Simon (1TUFFGU)
16 Nov 2014

Do you have an approximate timeline/schedule for the entire trip. Which direction you want to go etc. I might be interested.

Do you have an approximate timeline/schedule for the entire trip. Which direction you want to go etc. I might be interested.

We are fairly open with time line / directions.   This year in September we took 4 days to get to Birdsville, then decided not to go across the Simpson by ourselves. 

Simpson Desert is on our bucket list( as the rest of Australia haha) will keep an eye on this trip! It  will all depend on our choice regarding trips....

Grant (308)
10 Dec 2014

Damn bucket list!, Simpson Desert in April v Queensland in September. I am definitely interested having just cut my teeth in the Outback on the Oodnadatta but will have to do some serious thinking and budgeting and get back to you soon.

what whas the oodnadatta track like - have heard it is very rough and remote...?

I was thinking of doing the Simpson in Mid May 2015.  I've already done the Simpson four times, so I know it well and am quite experienced.  I am actually keen to do the MADIGAN line, which is on the North Simpson, takes a lot longer and is a lot tougher, and from what I've read, doesn't have a formed track.  The rest of the Simpson, like the French line or the Rig Road, are clear formed tracks which are impossible to get lost on.  Last year We had quite a few other cars tag along with us as they were all new to the Simpson and didnt want to tackle it alone.  I'd prefer to join up with a few hard core experienced drivers, particularly someone with good mechanical skills who can change a tire off a rim, to tackle the Madigan line with me.  But if I end up going in May just accross the French line, I'd be more than happy for you or others to tag along.  If anybody is interested in the Madigan line in the North Simpson in May 2015, please email richard@star.cd.  Also feel free to email me as your own plans progress for a Simpson trip.   I have to say, stopping at Birdsville and turning back means you will have missed the most fantastic place, one of the nicest outback trips in Australia.  

what whas the oodnadatta track like - have heard it is very rough and remote...?

By the way, the Oodnadatta Track is not rough at all, sure there are some corregations but people who complain about it simply havn't let their tires down sufficiently.  Its also not that remote, with regualr traffic on it and easly traversed in a 2wd as long as it hasn't rained.