Best Insurance for your 4x4

Forum > General Discussion
Previous   1 2 3 4 5   Next
Shane
Shane (rvprado)
03 Jan 2017

Hate to say it but unless it's for a minor ding you're wasting money with insurance. You've got 35s and no sway bars. In the event of an accident requiring inspection there isn't an insurance company in Australia who will pay out because in the fine ......
With club 4x4 if you had illegal mods on you 4wd and had an accident they will still pay out unless the illegal mods were directly the cause for the accident

Shane
Shane (rvprado)
03 Jan 2017

Hey all,

I use Shannons, they are the only one I found that will list the mods made to a 4x4 and insure it. Most mods on suspension, tires etc are not leagal so it is a very touchy area. Heard many a story of insurance not covering e......

With club 4x4 if you had illegal mods on you 4wd and had an accident they will still pay out unless the illegal mods were directly the cause for the accident

Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
03 Jan 2017

Hate to say it but unless it's for a minor ding you're wasting money with insurance. You've got 35s and no sway bars. In the event of an accident requiring inspection there isn't an insurance company in Australia who will pay out because in the fine ......

It's actually for my wife's pathfinder. 

Gday kevin

Past experience with other insurance companies and they wont insure over a certain amount of accesories. On the other hand club 4x4 insured my ranger for market value plus 18,000$ of accesories plus 2,000$ worth of contents ......

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
03 Jan 2017

It's actually for my wife's pathfinder. 

Just sell it an get her an FJ. hahaha.

Chris (cap8959)
04 Jan 2017

Mate, just go with AAMI. No restrictions on mods as long as they are legal, cheapest as well. I get roadside assist as well, windscreen cover and just get a new screen every year no excess. Every year they bump up the premium but I just make a ......

Once I would have said AAMI as this was the company that had 10k worth of policies for cars, houses and campers. but as we always rang for a discount on the policies they finally told me no. So moved over to Affinity Brokers for 2 years and then to Club4x4 in November last year. Unfortunately I had a claim in the second week of the Club4x4 policy. This was the easiest claim I have ever had. One quote from my preferred replier and one one phone call, thats it, car repaired and good as new. They cover camping gear, the fridge that is in the car ($1400) at no extra cost, They are not the cheapest but they are the best in my opinion if you need them.

Son is with  Shannons and gets discount for CAMS license and club and amount of policies, never has had a claim yet so cannot comment of that side.

Ern
Ern (Ziggy)
04 Jan 2017

On premium, get quotes from 3 or 4 as there can be big variations.

Never do a tick and flick on a renewal. The company is relying on you becoming complacent.

Frank
Frank (Franco3d)
04 Jan 2017

CGU have the best response to claims and payout with no questions asked. Some throw in roadside assist as a "free" inclusion such as youi. Aami is good but you need to ask for a better deal everytime it's up for renewal as the premium goes up for no apparent reason. This happens with a lot of insurance companies. Just depends on what cover you want or need. 

()
04 Jan 2017

http://www.4wdtrip.com.au/offroad/social/forum/read.aspx?originalpostid=5799&forumid=2

This bloke was insured with youi, they paid out no problem.

I know JT drowned his LC after having it a short period of time and AAMI paid out no problem.

If the car is legal and you are on a gazetted road you really should be fine.

Just be aware of what tyres/rims are legal, NOT "what's the biggest that will fit"

If you have illegal mods they are well within their rights to say "not roadworthy.... not paying".

Ern
Ern (Ziggy)
04 Jan 2017

As always, read the T&Cs carefully.

If you go offroad check to see that beaches and riverbeds are covered.

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
04 Jan 2017

Hi Kevin
Stay away from club 4x4
I'm with them and bent my diff its been a 4 month battle for them to fix it correctly as they just want to bend it back without strengthening it....

Why would you expect any insurance company to pay for extra modifications to improve your vehicle after you damaged a know weak point for said vehicle??? I would be asking for a new housing not bracing. If your worried about it weakening the diff or it not being 100% all repairs have a lifetime warrenty.

Club4x4 is by far the best for anyone with a modded 4by but they still have limitations, they say they will cover all mods and still pay out as long as the mod didn't have an impact on causing the accident. So if you roll and have over size tyres or lift no cover, if you run into another car with oversze tyres or lift no cover due to increased braking distance and the list of examples could go on and on.

The one fantastic feature of Club4x4 is there recovery options which no other insurer has

()
04 Jan 2017

Message deleted by the author.

() wrote:
Message deleted by the author.

If it not your primary drive car or is a collectors car try Lumleys Special Vehicle Insurance the cost of premium for full comprehensive  is about half and you get your car back if it is a write off for nothing if is more than 25 years old.A friend wrote his Rolls Royce off last year and the rare A model Ford he had both claims were paid out within 14 days $65000 I think.This is probably not suitable for somebody that drives their 4x4 every day but my wifes Hyuindi premium came down from $685 to$320.it is great for historic cars or secondary drives.

Paul
Paul (Wheelan)
04 Jan 2017

Geez, if your happy to run with that ,then go for it. There is not an insurance compnay on earth that would pay out a claim if the car had modifications that made it unroadworthy. If your car is worth F all, just cover 3rd party. An insurance compnay will be happy to take on any policy, its when they have to pay, they will refer to the fine print. Whatever the insurance co. states, get it in writing. 

Jason
Jason (Deimos)
04 Jan 2017

I asked the same question 6months ago when I purchaced a brand new Triton Exceed. From my resurch I went with club 4x4.

havnet had a claim yet thank God but I hope the claims process is smooth if by chance I need it.

Policy is transparent, I gave them plenty of scenarios and I'm covered for them all as long as :

ute is street legal, I'm legaly allowed to be there, am completely honest with claims history and driving record, all mods are noted and legal.

I'm insured for market value plus $11k extras and premium changes by bugger all when I up it to $20k extras. Get all the bonuses, $2k portable items, off road recovery, can pick own repairer, (if i intend to make a claim) i can make immediate repairs upto $1k and get reinbursed (eg minor animal strike, pay upto $1000 to get radiator fixed and drivable then get that back when i make claim). Free Windscreen per yr (which actully covers all glass so if u break back or side windows they covered 1 per yr too).

Car hire the wah it works is its on me to organise i think upto $90/day but they give it back.

Good luck

Previous   1 2 3 4 5   Next