Best Insurance for your 4x4

Forum > General Discussion
1 2 3 4 5   Next
Kelvin
Kelvin (TREXGQ)
03 Jan 2017

HI guys,

I am looking to get a new insurance for my wife's 4wd. Do you have any recommendation? I've heard Club4x4 is pretty good. 

What about Shannons, AAMI and a few others? 

Thanks

Kelvin

Paul
Paul (Wheelan)
03 Jan 2017

Mate, just go with AAMI. No restrictions on mods as long as they are legal, cheapest as well. I get roadside assist as well, windscreen cover and just get a new screen every year no excess. Every year they bump up the premium but I just make a call and say I can get it cheaper and they always reduce to suit. 

Craig Burns (Burnzy)
03 Jan 2017

Gday kevin

Past experience with other insurance companies and they wont insure over a certain amount of accesories. On the other hand club 4x4 insured my ranger for market value plus 18,000$ of accesories plus 2,000$ worth of contents and they chucked in a years subscription to mr4x4 and the excess isnt much only 600 or so.
Hope this helps

()
03 Jan 2017

I hear club 4x4 is the best. Covers everything like aami but also covers agreed value on accessories plus offroad rescue and recovery with accommodation etc. Probably best to call up and suss both out

Wayne (Wayne G)
03 Jan 2017

Mate, just go with AAMI. No restrictions on mods as long as they are legal, cheapest as well. I get roadside assist as well, windscreen cover and just get a new screen every year no excess. Every year they bump up the premium but I just make a ......

AAMI is who I use, very helpful and easy, covered all my accesories and mods ..reasonable premiums Am very happy with them.

Andrew
Andrew (Tourer)
03 Jan 2017

I have been pretty happy with CGU via Bendigo bank.  Covered all option on my cruiser 15K plus of accessories.  Importantly thay gave a top reputation for paying when it counts.  Australian Call centre !!!!   May be not the cheapest.  BUT we don't all buy the cheapest 4x4 do we!!!  and why is that?

Hi there
Club 4x4 are good but expensive.

I just recently signed up with club 4x4 their pds seemed most transparent about what will be covered. I personally won't go back to AAMI since my work van went from $960 one year to $1480 the next year and their only response was i could up my excess to lower the premium that was about 10yrs ago though so things might have changed. They still won't get my business back.

Shane
Shane (rvprado)
03 Jan 2017

I'm with club 4x4 just changed from Suncorp.
With Suncorp $50 per month at market value which they said was $7000 and that was for just there basic policy
With my 4x4 $55 per month and market value at $10,000 at there basic policy which includes a minimum of $2000 for accessories/mods and $1500 recover from anywhere you are legally aloud to be.

Imo club 4x4 should be at the top of your list of company's to talk to

Hi Kevin
Stay away from club 4x4
I'm with them and bent my diff its been a 4 month battle for them to fix it correctly as they just want to bend it back without strengthening it....

Leppy (Mick Lepp)
03 Jan 2017

Hi Kevin
Stay away from club 4x4
I'm with them and bent my diff its been a 4 month battle for them to fix it correctly as they just want to bend it back without strengthening it....

Good luck with that battle. As I understand it, diff bracing isn't legal so I don't imagine they would touch it. 

Gavin (Thief)
03 Jan 2017

I went with Club 4x4. Good cover, reasonable price. If you go with anyone else check what their recovery option actually means as most will only recover to a designated road, and most dirt roads are designated roads.

Dave
Dave (disco)
03 Jan 2017

Hey all,

I use Shannons, they are the only one I found that will list the mods made to a 4x4 and insure it. Most mods on suspension, tires etc are not leagal so it is a very touchy area. Heard many a story of insurance not covering even after they said they would so that is why you should go with an insurance company that wants a list of mods made to the vehicle.

There is 2 types of mods,

1.. Extra add ons like bull bars, lights, roof racks, snorkels, antennas etc etc.

2.. Mods like suspension, large tires, high offset wheels that change the wheel base, all these types of changes are touchy areas that are supposed to be leagal but in many cases are not. These are hard to insure and in some cases the insurance comany can make an entire claim null due to some mod that is not leagal.

Dave

()
03 Jan 2017

I am with Club4x4. There was a time 15 months ago I changed from AAMI to Allianz to Real Insurance (Hollard) and even DGA ( Allianz 4x4 cover) then to Cub4x4 (Hollard ). There was a time I would have a few cars with AAMI and to be honest they were a great insurance company when it came to the claims process with 24hr call centre if the accident occurs in urban areas.

However, I do believe when I put a hypothetical scenario to them regarding an accident eg in a river crossing or off the beaten track lost and maybe on an un-named track - I was advised that it may not be covered . If you take your vehicle in water over the maximum wading depth of your vehicle , it may not be covered. 

If you have a power mod on your vehicle which may increase engine power - many insurance companies will not cover your vehicle at all. If you have any mod which is deemed unroadworthy - they can reduce or refuse a claim.

Club4X4 , I believe has the best coverage and competitive pricing. Always remember your duty of disclosure requirements. 

DGA 4x4 insurance is good too - they cover you 100% in Australia - land & water as long as you are not trespassing . However at the time they did not have car hire during repair phase.

Being on the tracks often - the choice was clear - Club4X4.

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
03 Jan 2017

Hate to say it but unless it's for a minor ding you're wasting money with insurance. You've got 35s and no sway bars. In the event of an accident requiring inspection there isn't an insurance company in Australia who will pay out because in the fine print of every policy is the fact that the vehicle must be roadworthy.

Having said that I'm with Club4x4.

1 2 3 4 5   Next