Tips to a safe water/river crossing

Forum > 4WD Guides & Tips

River crossings... a sometimes treacherous part of our journeys and requires careful approach. There are some important things to consider when you attempt a crossing: 

Depth and flow can make or break you. Your engine and electrics can be fouled and even destroyed. Even with a snorkel you can kill your vehicle if the water is flowing too fast, water is too deep or you stall midway. 

To safely cross a river do some work beforehand. Firstly - walk the crossing. Better wet pants than a drowned rig. If the river is getting deeper or the current is too strong, you should not continue. Secondly, set your recovery straps or winch up before you attempt it. That means run them through a window before you start driving. If you get stuck this will greatly assist anyone trying to pull you out and also improve your chances of keeping your vehicle. Third - don't hammer into the water! You'll just fill your engine bay with its enemy. H2O. Ease into it and then give it some berries so you create a bow wave. Consider using a tarp or dedicated water crossing bra to protect your motor and prevent damage. 

Another thing to consider is always have your windows open. In the event of the worst where your car stops and you are deep in water you most likely won't be able to open your doors or windows, especially if the motor dies. And this is the one time you should unfasten your seatbelt. Be prepared for an emergency exit.

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
24 Dec 2016

Some great tips and advise right there!!

2 things I would add, once you have a bow wave in front of the car keep a steady speed and accellerator, not to fast because you can't see rocks that may be hiding and you don't want to push water half way up the windscreen but fast enough to maintain the bow wave. This only applies to crossings deeper than your sills or radiator.

If your in a petrol a can of CRC or simulair is very handy, a quick spray before a deeper crossing can prevent a lot of spluttering as you come out or it can stop a lot of spluttering after the crossing. Modern cars have great electrical plugs but a lot of them, water in just one can cause all sorts of issues.

()
26 Dec 2016

And if in a manual, don't change gears when in the water. Pick the gear you want to use, and stick to it. Low 2nd is usually good.

Also look at diff/gearbox/transfer case breathers. You could potentially suck a seal in, bringing water into the components and causing a leaking seal.

Cookie64 (Cookie64)
01 Jan 2017

Can I add one or two things

If you are crossing a flowing creek / river / flooded area, try to keep to the side that it is flowing from eg if it is flowing Left to Right keep left and aim for the exit

Lower your tyre pressures, particularly if it has a sandy bottom, for maximum footprint

cheers

I have done literally hundreds of river crossings up here in the Top End. Luckily none have ended in tears, although there's been some close calls. IMHO discretion is the better part of valor. A new 4X4 is 50k or more.....why risk it ? Water crossings are inherently dangerous to property, life and limb. Granted, its a lot of fun at times, but then boys and men are known to sometimes indulge in risky behaviour, 'eh ?

Some handy tips have mentioned in previous posts, although the most important one, and it might just save your 80k Wagon, is to walk the crossing. OK, its winter up in Oberon or Matlock or wherever, or its muddy and slippery along the Gibb in the Kimberley.......but the simple rule of thumb is if the current washes you off your feet or you simply struggle to keep your footing during the walk, well your 4WD will get washed away......even a laden Landcruiser ! The walk gives one an indication of the crossing bottom, ie ; rocky, sandy, boggy, depth , line to take.

Up here in the NT, one has to decide the risks of a walk. I certainly don't walk Cahill's Crossing on the East Alligator due to the crocodile factor. Same as the Marrakai Crossing on the Adelaide River. But I know the depth indicators and if in doubt i wait until a braver or dumber motorist crosses first. Yes, soft I know, but remember the 70 grand 4wd.... ?

The notorious Cahill's Crossing over the East Alligator into Arnhemland....every 'Wet' a dozen or so vehicles end up in strife. The River is tidal so you can get washed off both ways.

The other thing to consider, of course is debris and logs floating downstream. These next pics were taken at Lawn Hill in North West QLD Nov 2015. Only 150mm for the year then a mighty thunderstorm and downpour overnight that flooded the creek crossings. Luckily for me the bloke in the Prado was in front and he did the 'walking'

Marrakai Crossing on the Adelaide River

Message deleted by the author.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZnSAzRsum4

A Cahill;s Crossing NT Classic !

Luke
Luke (Hiluxlou)
05 Jan 2017

Some great pics there Doug , noticed that cruiser didn't have a snorkel fitted . 

Some great pics there Doug , noticed that cruiser didn't have a snorkel fitted . 

That bloke (Greg) is a local yokel . He owns property with river frontage here. He knows this crossing like the back of his hand and gets the depth estimates right every time. I watched him drive through thinking mmmm....I wasn't gunna do it even with a snorkel.

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
06 Jan 2017

a nice easy water crossing here from a few years back in cape york. its a great view of a bow wave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohUhYmvJ6jg

and one short sharp one at nolans brook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kWPNTpxWUI

2 things I would add, once you have a bow wave in front of the car keep a steady speed and accellerator, not to fast because you can't see rocks that may be hiding and you don't want t......

Hi Matt,

Where are you suggesting spraying the crc or alternative?

2 things I would add, once you have a bow wave in front of the car keep a steady speed and accellerator, not to fast because you can't see rocks that may be hiding and you don't want t......

Hi Matt,

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
02 Apr 2018

Hi Matt,

On your ignition system mainly so leads, coil packs and distributer but with so many electronic crap in cars these days and bit of a spray over batery leads, fuse box lids and any other electrical plugs.

If going away on a trip where I know there is going to be a lot of water involved I spray everything in the engine bay giving a good coat to all plugs.

Its a water dispersant and cant do any harm but try not to get it inside the alternator and on any belts