Valencia creek , mt Wellington, old moroka rd

Forum > Trip Ideas (Expression of Interest)
1 2   Next
Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
17 Dec 2016

I've been thinking about a trip in February or march.

Friday night camp somewhere out of briagalong then Up Valencia creek track ,onto mt wellington . Camp at millers hut. Depending on time on Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning drive out to the sentinels and try to get a view of lake trail karng. Sunday drive out along old moroka rd to Valencia creek. Never been on old moroka rd ( not the moroka rd out of licola ) . I believe it's rocky and narrow and cut into the side of the hills as an original route into the hi country by the cattlemen of Gippsland 

head home Sunday night . Probably rated medium? I've heard of a few here winching on the way up out of Valencia ck tk , I've only been down it , which is easier

Only 5 or 6 cars and easy paced driving . Anyone interested? If we get a few interested I will work on something more definite 

dennis

dennis count me in on this trip if it goes ahead    steve

Daniel
Daniel (wj_dan)
18 Dec 2016

Count me in too. Work should be quieter by then. Done the lower part of old moraka rd and is very pretty. Exactly as you describe dennis. Cut into the hills. Did valencia creek couple months back coming down stream as well. Would love to explore it more too.

Daniel
Daniel (wj_dan)
18 Dec 2016

Count me in too. Work should be quieter by then. Done the lower part of old moraka rd and is very pretty. Exactly as you describe dennis. Cut into the hills. Did valencia creek couple months back coming down stream as well. Would love to explore it more too.
Oops. Didnt do valencia. It was lee creek. Getting mixed up. But have always wanted to check out valencia.

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
18 Dec 2016

All good

i will work out a definite date, probably last week of feb or first week of march. Will post up in trips when I do, do you guys have a preference?

Daniel
Daniel (wj_dan)
18 Dec 2016

All good

i will work out a definite date, probably last week of feb or first week of march. Will post up in trips when I do, do you guys have a preference?

Either.

All good

i will make it work for me around whatever is listed 

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
19 Dec 2016

does anyone know somewhere to camp on the lower end of marathon rd out of briagalong? i see on the maps there is a hut called new place hut or lower new place hut, but ime not sure its still standing or if there is much camping space .  i dont want to start to far from valencia creek track. i might even get up there over xmas and hav a look around

Daniel
Daniel (wj_dan)
19 Dec 2016

Might go for a day trip over xmas too and see whats around. I live in stratford. So only 20 mins from briag anyhow. 

Allan
Allan (Big Pig)
19 Dec 2016

There is a good camp spot just out of Briag. called The Quarries, you will be only about 5/10 minutes from the start of Marathon.

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
19 Dec 2016

Might go for a day trip over xmas too and see whats around. I live in stratford. So only 20 mins from briag anyhow. 

If your not that far away a look up there from you would be great. I was looking at google maps and if you turn left  into " new place creek road" there appears to be a large clearing on the track not far from where it joins Valencia ck tk and only a few k in from marathon rd

note that's new place creek rd. not new place tk or upper new place tk , maybe 25 odd ks from briagalong. If I head up I will send you a pm

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
19 Dec 2016

There is a good camp spot just out of Briag. called The Quarries, you will be only about 5/10 minutes from the start of Marathon.

I did look at this one but believe there's a $10 fee and you need to book? 

Allan
Allan (Big Pig)
19 Dec 2016

I did look at this one but believe there's a $10 fee and you need to book? 

Yes you Dennis , you pay at the gereral store , if your heading up Matathon , take 20 minutes out of your trip and check out Wombat Valley Cabins  they are up near the start of Toggle Hill track, tell them your from 4wdtrip they will look after you , the cabins are awesome and right at the start of low range tracks.

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
20 Dec 2016

Yes you Dennis , you pay at the gereral store , if your heading up Matathon , take 20 minutes out of your trip and check out Wombat Valley Cabins  they are up near the start of Toggle Hill track, tell them your from 4wdtrip they will look ......

thanks

i was really looking to bush camp , will have a look at everything though.

there is also blue pool, but i would like to be a bit closer

Tom
Tom (roll_tide)
20 Dec 2016

Definitely interested in this one Dennis. I'm looking forward to seeing the trip posted

1 2   Next