XR6 TURBO CONVERSION PATROL GU

Forum > Tech talk, questions
George
George (Georgie_Kyro)
24 Nov 2016

Hi guys
Been a while since ive posted on here as i havent been on many trips as of late.
As some of you may know i sold the triton a while ago and now aquired a twin locked auto gu with 4.6 diff gears on 35s with some other goodies.
Recently i had been thinking of doing an engine conversion as the old donk in the gu was sitting north of 450xxx
I had considered the common ls1 conversion but got steered towards another option.
Given that the 10/06 build BF xr6turbo engine comes with the typhoon bottom end, and thenfact that the barra engine is multi valve and dohc it seems to be an engine that produces insane power and very decent torque figures.
So without further adieu i managed to get a hold of an enging with 170xxx kays with everything but the tranny.
Currently i m waiting on all the parts and when they arrive i will be slapping it all in.
With new cooler, exhaust, boost, 1000cc injectors and tune this engine will have no problems producing 300rwkw.

A bit nuch for a 4wd but none the less it should be fun to drive..
No doubt i will keep you all posted with the progress.

Needless to say im excited

()
01 Dec 2016

Hey George, that got a massive response!indecision Makes you feel like you are talking to yourself around here sometimes.frown

Well, I like the sound of it.

When the XR6turbo came out they had to de tune it quite a lot as it spanked the crap out of the XR8, and they just couldn't have that!

So that donk will put out plenty of horsies, if you get it mapped/chipped right.

George
George (Georgie_Kyro)
01 Dec 2016

() wrote:

Hey George, that got a massive response!indecision Makes you feel like you are talking to ......

Heya buddy, thanks for the reply, i actually thought perhaps people may not of found it interesting enough so i actually refrained from putting up any progress info up earlier this week.

I have purchased the dellow bell housing and have to wait 3 weeks for it to arrive, but realistically not expecting it to get here any time soon because of the xmas break.

I have also spoken to killer kustoms in qld about making me the wiring harness/loom but they want me to semd mine up so they can use that....
I told them i cant do that as the vehicle is still being driven and am hoping that when everything gets here it will just be off the road for a week or 2 max.

I have also jad positive responses from an emgineer.
They have said that because the engine weighs less than the 4.5 petrol patrol engime i dont have to worry about a swerve test

I also have been given the all clear for no torsion testing either.

Basically, if your car has a range of different engines that were a production wngime for your vehicle (in my instance 2.8 4.5 4.2 4.8 etc) grab the one with the most torque , add 20% and if the new engine you're putting in is less that that figure you're lauging...
Well i managed to scrape in by a bees d*ck so im happy.

Now i am also awaiting reply on the auto tranny and looking like i will be getting this sorted in the new year.

As for the engine.
Will be left stock for engineering.
But womt be for too much longer after that ;)

We are definitely putting in the front mount, 1000 cc injectors, air box and custom snorkel and a tune which will be good for 300rwkw

Not bad for a patrol ;)

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
01 Dec 2016

I have just been following with interest elsewhere smiley

Will be a cracker when its all done

If it was nine I think I would be considering a full manual valve body in the auto with a torque converter lock up kitwink

Allan
Allan (Big Pig)
01 Dec 2016

Hey bud would you be interested in getting contact with someone who has done this same engine swap into a patrol allbeit a GQ , I don't personaly know him but I know someone who does, also a good mechanic friend of mine almost talked me into dropping one into my Maverick with a drive in drive out price of around $8000 about 6 grand less than a LS1 and a shit load easier to engineer as you say.

George
George (Georgie_Kyro)
01 Dec 2016

Hey bud would you be interested in getting contact with someone who has done this same engine swap into a patrol allbeit a GQ , I don't personaly know him but I know someone who does, also a good mechanic friend of mine almost talked me int......

Heya pal long time no see. Yes yes yes... severely interested.
Ps sent!

George
George (Georgie_Kyro)
15 May 2017

But of an update to where I'm at wiyh this currently.
Sent the auto off a couple of weeks ago to the tranny builders.
We are now going fully manualised auto with bm pro ratchet shifter.

The re4 yhats being built is to same specs as 1 that's currently in an xr6 in new that's pulling 9.90's consistently so I'm pretty thrilled to know it should withstand a decent beating.

Once the auto is finished I then have to sort out the 1000cc injectors and then and tossing up between plenum chamber or twin throttle body for low end torque

Keep You all posted

Heya buddy, thanks for the reply, i actually thought perhaps people may not of found it interesting enough so i actually refrained from putting up any progress info up earlier this week.

I have purchased the dellow bell housing and have......
Hey mate what are you doing about the flex plate do you need to get one made or modified.