can you get into wonnangatta station on road tyres

Forum > General Discussion

I think I know the answer but is it possible to get to the station in a prado with road tyres

we would like to get in there but the budget doesnt allow a/t tyres right now

thought s would be appreciated

thanks in advance

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
24 Nov 2016

You will get in as long as its dry and you will get out as long as it doesn't rain but that is assuming you have enough spare tyres to replace all the punctured ones that you might or might not get. Its the tyre construction that will let you down more than the tread...

Personally I wouldn't take a car into the high country without  LT tyres

You will get in as long as its dry and you will get out as long as it doesn't rain but that is assuming you have enough spare tyres to replace all the punctured ones that you might or might not get. Its the tyre construction that will let y......

thanks  mate we are working on getting some a/t tyres so hope to have them on before any trip is concidered

John
John (Disco_Johnsy)
29 Nov 2016

Mate I worked for parkland Albury Wodonga for 3 years and we worked around Tawonga Huts and Mt Beauty and we had an old 2004 Mitsi Triton that went everywhere on road tyres. Just sayin. 

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
29 Nov 2016

Anything is possible , but would you want to

my first trip in there I was on retreads and didn't know I should let tyres down to improve traction . Drove out on zeka  spur which was very rough then.

i look back and shake my head. Yes if conditions are good you could do it , you should have extra spares. 

Why not wait and save up for some LT tyres and enjoy yourself

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
29 Nov 2016

Mate I worked for parkland Albury Wodonga for 3 years and we worked around Tawonga Huts and Mt Beauty and we had an old 2004 Mitsi Triton that went everywhere on road tyres. Just sayin. 

I bet you don't run standard low profile road tyres that came on your D3 from factory...

Just because you can doesn't mean you should...

John
John (Disco_Johnsy)
30 Nov 2016

I bet you don't run standard low profile road tyres that came on your D3 from factory...

Just because you can doesn't mean you should...

No I run Cooper ATs.

All I was saying was that we ran road tyres on an old Triton all over the Alps for 2 years with no problems.

In the late 80s I ran a VC Commodore down to Wonnangatta homestead.

There are better tyres out there these days plain and simple and they certainly reduce risk, which is what 4WD prep is all about.

()
30 Nov 2016

OK the reason you want to use road tyres is you don't have enough cash to buy A/T tyres.

IF you did go, and yes you could do it, there is a very strong chance you will slice the crap out of your road tyres rendering them useless.

So then you'll have to buy new tyres anyway.

Just depends on how much of a gambler you are.

BTW if you really want to see it go in via Myrtleford, that track is a bit rough in spots from what I have heard but easier than other options.

But personally I would wait till you get A/T's

Wonangatta is a nice place, but I wouldn't get too worked up about just seeing that, the fun bit is getting there via bulltown crooked river etc.

() wrote:

OK the reason you want to use road tyres is you don't have enough cash to buy A/T tyres.

IF you did go, and yes you could do it, there is a very strong chance you will slice the crap out of your road tyres rendering them use......

thanks mate

plans have changed and wont be going in this christmas.

will prob be going in at easter so will have the a/t tyres by then

and yes I want to go in via crooked river

()
30 Nov 2016

Good idea leaving it till the A/T's are fitted mate.

Have a look at this trip report

http://www.4wdtrip.com.au/offroad/social/forum/read.aspx?originalpostid=5832&forumid=9&pg=1

Page 2&3 have some nice videos thanks to Allan.yes

You'll see the river crossings are fairly tame but there are still plenty of rocks that destroy the odd A/T tyre.

One of the crooked crossings I saw a fellow slice a sidewall and a lady on a recent trip as well, so even with the right tyres things still happen.

4wd'ing can get bloody expensive.

Also the wongungurra crossings are always a lot deeper than the crooked so not a bad idea to have a snorkel as well mate. Not sure if it's on the video, but there was one crossing there that went just over the bonnet, even though the river levels weren't high.

A few weeks after I fitted mine, I was driving a track and came to something that just looked like a puddle, it was pretty wide, so I couldn't poke the middle with a stick, so just drove through, anyway water went over the bonnet, if there was no snorkel it would have been a new motor req'd. So be prepared.

Look into diff/gearbox breathers too if you haven't already.

Dennis
Dennis (bigden)
30 Nov 2016

No I run Cooper ATs.

All I was saying was that we ran road tyres on an old Triton all over the Alps for 2 years with no problems.

In the late 80s I ran a VC Commodore down to Wonnangatta homestead.

Did you come via myrtleford in the commodore ?I've heard of a few 2wds coming in that way

slightly off topic but there's YouTube clips of an EA falcon doing most of the crossings on the Tele track 

()
30 Nov 2016

Of course a bloody EA could do that, Robocop drove one after all. (yes look closely if you watch it again, it's an EA)

()
30 Nov 2016

Hahahaha what a pisser I just found that vid Dennis, they made it all the way to the top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFINZ6riQBo

Here's another pisser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWaNzBoGEyA

()
30 Nov 2016

Message deleted by the author.

John
John (Disco_Johnsy)
30 Nov 2016

Did you come via myrtleford in the commodore ?I've heard of a few 2wds coming in that way

slightly off topic but there's YouTube clips of an EA falcon doing most of the crossings on the Tele track 

Wangaratta to Whitfield then Cobbler track to Lake Cobbler onto Speculation Road eventually.

The tyres were the least of our problems cracked engine mounts and then the radiator developed a split and we had to refill every 30 mins on the way out. 

Bloody nightmare but great fun back in the day. No foubys then! The great thing was a HD parked at Cobbler on the way out.