Cheap Android tablet and which map software

Forum > General Discussion
Brett
Brett (Gxlhunjee)
20 Nov 2016

Hey all,

So Aldi are selling an $89 10" tablet this week. I was thinking of getting it and using for offroad map software (Hema, Mudmap etc) as well as games for the kids. It is a little light on details but I think it has inbuilt GPS. Is that all that is required to run any of those map software programs? Any opinions on which is better Mudmap, Hema or any others?

Cheers

Brett

Chris (cap8959)
21 Nov 2016

OziExplorer on the indash GPS and Here Maps on the tablet and phone. Here maps is not a topo map but is my main goto mapping for planning and navigation while out and about. Just download the maps to your tablet and your set to go with turn by turn directions not waypoints, and at no cost.

Ern
Ern (Ziggy)
21 Nov 2016

Not impressed with the new Hema 150 K topos re accuracy and scale, but it all depends on whether you need to do close nav. If you do look at the State topos at around 50 K scale. Those come as an extra sub with Hema Explorer but another option for Vic at least is to buy individual sheets as needed in georeferenced PDF format to run on the free Avenza maps app. Accuracy and scale are good. Each sheet is about $8.50.

http://services.land.vic.gov.au/maps/imf/search/Topo30Front.jsp

I have both Hema and MudMaps 4 on my iPad. I try to convince myself every time that I should be using Hema, inadvertently I end up using MudMaps. I've found the Hema interface complicated and cumbersome 

I found MudMaps so much better. If you going to go to a new area, just download the various maps that cover that area. Also easy to use the tracking, at the end of the day stop tracking and give the tracks you covered a name and store for future reference, always good if you like to revisit a track or recommend to a mate.

Tony
Tony (le Dakar)
21 Nov 2016

Hi Brett. I have tried them all at various times and a variety of hardware as well from in-dash units to stand alone units. You decision to go for a Tablet is spot on. I have stuck to a 10.1 inch tablet for over a year now.
As for software, I always end up going back to Ozi Explorer. I have all the Rooftop maps in digital and love the way it self-indexes the maps, so I dont have to worry about what a map is named, It knows all the maps I have loaded for the current location im 4WDing in and gives me those options depending on the scale I want.
I am happy for you to call me if you want more info on 0497858058.
Regards Tony.

Jason
Jason (Gossamer)
21 Nov 2016

Ozi explorer works well on Android if you have access to maps and as mentioned "Here" works well as an on road and offroad mapping. Here will even take you to a track if you plug in the track name smiley. As far as the device, a couple of years ago i had a samsung 7" (not a highest spec one) and it was extremely slow, sometimes it could take 10min to get gps signal??? It was also slow as a tablet device as in it was extremly slow on the internet (wifi). I replaced it with a google nexus 7 and its been brilliant. The Aldi one may be fine but it may also be frustrating??? Also 10", have you considered where and how you plan to mount it?

Ern
Ern (Ziggy)
21 Nov 2016

Ozi explorer works well on Android if you have access to maps and as mentioned "Here" works well as an on road and offroad mapping. Here will even take you to a track if you plug in the track name smiley

Matt
Matt (zyttam)
21 Nov 2016

I don't think it comes with a internal GPS 

Alex
Alex (AlexPatrol)
21 Nov 2016

Memory map is the go, easy to use, all the hema maps are available and can get the 25k topo vic map. I use it for planning tracks and plotting etc. I can find old disused tracks that aren't on many new maps.

Brett
Brett (Gxlhunjee)
23 Nov 2016

You're right fellas, the specs don't mention gps - I grabbed one today to find out and it definitely doesn't have it. Must be the only android tablet being sold that doesnt! Back to aldi tomorrow for a refund. Worth a try. Looks like I'll be asking santa for a tablet for Xmas ;)

Tony
Tony (le Dakar)
24 Nov 2016

Bummer about the Aldi Tablet. Just another idea for you. I have been running a 10.1 inch Samsung Galaxy Tab II for a few years now. My version has built in GPS (not all do). Has always worked a treat for mapping. My son wanted to run the same system and located a second hand one on Ebay or Gumtree (cant remember which ) for $150. It works great for him, in fact you cant tell any difference between the two. Maybe another option for you. Another thing to keep mind is that it is very hard to see the screen of the in-dash systems in broad daylight. You just can't get them bright enough. Similar with the Hema and VMS stand alone units. Where as the Tablets don't seem to have this problem as they can be set quite bright for day-time use.

Brett
Brett (Gxlhunjee)
24 Nov 2016

Thanks for the tip Tony. Was contemplating one of the Samsung Tab T280, only 7.1" but definitely has GPS. Can pick one up for $160 or so new. Haven't seen one in the flesh yet, so not 100% sure it'll be big enough..

Tony
Tony (le Dakar)
25 Nov 2016

Thanks for the tip Tony. Was contemplating one of the Samsung Tab T280, only 7.1" but definitely has GPS. Can pick one up for $160 or so new. Haven't seen one in the flesh yet, so not 100% sure it'll be big enough..

Brett. What suburb are you in. Would be happy for to see how my 10.1 iinch screen is set up in my car.

()
25 Nov 2016