Tele Track to the tip

Forum > Trip Ideas (Expression of Interest)
1 2   Next
Steve
Steve (tasl)
08 Nov 2014

So next year A few freinds are hoping to do the tele track up to the tip of cape york.  The dates are not locked down but will be sometime in august, september or early october.  The plan is to take 4 weeks off work and drive from Melbourne to cooktown(estimate 1 week up and one week back,) with 2 weeks to travel up.  

So far we have 2 prados and a 100 series, with a KJ jeep a possibility ( Keiths girlfriend has the jeep and they have to look at the expense in going in two cars.

Now not only are we looking for extra vehicles,  but may have positions for passengers/co-drivers.

Shane
Shane (SICKGU)
08 Nov 2014

sounds enticing mate would have my long service than and have been pretty keen to get up that way for a while now...best guess would be my self and my mate and our 2 boys

()
08 Nov 2014

Hope i can get in on this trip not looking good right now tho need to be working or something

Keith Irving
Keith Irving (keef)
08 Nov 2014

Cant wait for this... Its the Mecca for 4wd drivers... Looking to take my Camper trailer even if i have to leave it at camp for a few days.

Justin (wombat89)
08 Nov 2014

Sounds good I will be Interested depending on dates

Zak
Zak (Uzooz)
08 Nov 2014

Would love to get that off my bucket list would be good if 2 weeks out of 4 is on school holidays

Steve
Steve (tasl)
08 Nov 2014

That is the plan, doing it around the school holidays.   

Rod Barker
Rod Barker (roddy626)
08 Nov 2014

hi, you will need more time then 4 weeks, friends who reside in Brissy took 5 weeks to do the Cape in a Cruiser fitted out and same stages 50km travelled in 7hrs... hard going... however totally enjoyed the experience!

Jase
Jase (Jase69er)
09 Nov 2014

I'd love to put my hand up but in part of a group that's doing the 'Old Tele Track' in June/July 2015. We are taking 6 weeks for the trip. Best of luck.

Steve
Steve (tasl)
10 Nov 2014

I'd love to put my hand up but in part of a group that's doing the 'Old Tele Track' in June/July 2015. We are taking 6 weeks for the trip. Best of luck.

Depending on when we go, we might meet you up there.

Shane
Shane (SICKGU)
10 Nov 2014

4weeks or 6 weeks who cares as long as there's a little bit of fishing and a few beers around a fire at night making new friends I'm in for sure bring it on

Keith Irving
Keith Irving (keef)
10 Nov 2014

4weeks or 6 weeks who cares as long as there's a little bit of fishing and a few beers around a fire at night making new friends I'm in for sure bring it on

There will be beers thats for sure and you can drop a line in anywhere as long as you get up early enough :) I'm glad Steve has posted this... it  might get us off our butts and lock in some dates...

Steve
Steve (tasl)
14 Nov 2014

So school holidays next year are 27 june until 12 july - could be interesting if there is a late wet. If we choose this option we would leave melboure about 20th june and return about the 20th July.

or 19 september until 4 october, the september - September and october dates are safer, as they are later into the dry season,. Here we would leave about the 12th of september and return about the 12th october. Only downside is you would miss the footy finals. 

If only there was an economical means of getting the cars up to cairns/cooktown.  because then we could send the cars up a week or so before and fly up to get them, getting  longer stay up the top.

Shane
Shane (SICKGU)
14 Nov 2014

Either date I'm in but September does give me an extra couple of months to suck up to the misses 😊

Justin (wombat89)
14 Nov 2014

I like the sound of sending the cars up a week before I wouldn't mind either dates September and October would probably be first preference though

1 2   Next