portland camping

Forum > 4WD Tracks & Destinations
Mick
Mick (Surfs Up)
13 Nov 2016

Portland

looking at heading to Portland around Xmas and haven't been there before and was wondering some good places to camp. Prefer close to or on the beach but open to ideas

There are plenty of caravan parks in Portland that you can stay at or you can go over the boarder and camp on the beaches

Allan
Allan (Big Pig)
13 Nov 2016

There are plenty of caravan parks in Portland that you can stay at or you can go over the boarder and camp on the beaches

Mick , if its sand driving I would go a bit further to Beachport, it's the start of some awesome beach driving , you can drive the dunes or the beach, there is also caravan and camping  parks or cabins .

Thurstain
Thurstain (Tcm9669)
13 Nov 2016

If you want free Camping, sawpit camp group is the biggest closest camp spot that's free. Gets busy but plenty of space.

Tony
Tony (MyLux)
13 Nov 2016

Amazing place! I was down there last weekend. There's camping at the entrance to the dunes, they have showers and toilets, well worth it, you wake up have breakie and your straight onto the dunes. To go on the dunes you have to register with the Dune Buggy Club, http://www.portlanddunebuggyclub.com.au/index.htm  We paid $50 per vehicle for 4 days which I think included flag hire.

Enjoy!

Mick
Mick (Surfs Up)
13 Nov 2016

Yeah done a bit of googling and everything now leads me to head over the border to robe area, next question is where to camp on the beach there or a camp ground/ caravan park close to the beach 

also what permits do u need to drive on the beach??

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
14 Nov 2016

No permit needed, best place to camp IMO is South end bush camp, pay and book through Southend on sea caravan park. No showers but flushing toilet and great spot just behind the dunes and easy access to the beach. Robe and Beachport get stupid crowded, be very carefull of the beach at Carpenter Rocks.

No fires in the camping area but they are allowed on the beach