Haunted Stream Track.

Forum > General Discussion
1 2   Next
Jim
Jim (JimMc)
12 Nov 2016

Haunted Stream Track.

We must keep our tracks open and when DEP close one we should ask why and when will it be reopened, in the past 20+ years they have tried to close Haunted Stream Track after a storm and flood but with presser from the 4x4’ers have got it reopened. I have just sent a letter to my local MP asking why and when will Haunted Stream will be reopened, it would be a great idea if all the 4x4’ers ask there MP, if we don’t ask, they will leave it closed and hope we forget about it as they have with so many tracks in the past have been close the same way. 

Please ask you MP about this magic track with a very colorful history.   

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
14 Nov 2016

Do you really need to ask why tracks get closed Jim? I know why, because people go out bush and leave fires going when they leave camp, leave rubbish everywhere, crap all over the place and don't bury it, drive closed tracks and think its fine and the big one drive all over the place with massive tyres tearing up soft sections of track and making it impassable for fire and parks crews so its easier to close us out rather than spending millions on maintenance.

Sad but true, maybe send the letters to irresponsible 4wders...

Jim
Jim (JimMc)
14 Nov 2016

Do you really need to ask why tracks get closed Jim? I know why, because people go out bush and leave fires going when they leave camp, leave rubbish everywhere, crap all over the place and don't bury it, drive closed tracks and think its f......

I agree that some 4x4er's do the wrong thing, "but there are many more that don’t stuff the tracks and bush."

We as a group need to dob in any one we see doing the wrong thing. Over many years I see so many tracks closed across Victoria and Australia, some tracks should have been closed but many should have not been closed! If we just sit by and do nothing then all the tracks will be closed for all 4x4er's and the hobby will end. In my past life I worked for Parks and I had a lot to do with closing many tracks in Bunyip State Park I think it was about 250km of tracks that should not be there (most were made by Dickhead 4x4er's and bike riders, that think it's there right to do what ever they like in the bush)

Over Victoria and Australia there are a number of tracks that are iconic to the 4WD community, most of them have been publish in the many 4x4 trip books, they should be on all 4x4er’s bucket list of tracks and placers you should do at least once. One of the greatest things about 4x4ing is I can go bush and camp away from other people, to do bird and mammal photo recording, if we letting all the tracks and small camp sites close then we will have to pay to stay in a caravan parks camping on top of each other.       

So if we don’t try to keep the tracks open we will lose all of them all in time.         

Dave
Dave (disco)
27 Nov 2016

I agree that some 4x4er's do the wrong thing, "but there are many more that don’t stuff the tracks and bush."

We as a group need to dob in any one we see doing the wrong thing. Over many years I see so many tracks......

Hi Guys,

Living in this area and travelling the Huanted Steam many times and my son works for the local shire. The issue is whith one area where the road has given way to a large drain under the road. This area will take a lot to repair. Also of concern was the amount of large bog holes created from so much traffic through that track all of a sudden over the past few years. In case you didnt know the Haunted Stream flows into the Tambo river wich is one of the main rivers that feed the lakes system. So as Matt said, dickheads cause the issue and stuff it up for all of us. I belevie the intention is to open the track again but we may not see it for 2017.

Regards

Dave

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
28 Nov 2016

I couldn't count how many times I have been out and instead of avoiding puddles, muddy ruts and the beginning of yet another bog hole when there is a perfectly dry line without going off the track you see people drive straight through them and some even feel the need to blip the go peddle to flick up some mud on the side of there car to make it look tougher when the whole time you could just go arond and do no damage what so ever and even if you can't avoid it most of the time there is no need for extra go peddle and you can just idle through and do no damage at all.

And people say we don't need an extra licence or permit system to hit the tracks, BS

All 4wd sites should at least have a page people can read up on how to avoid track damage or a code of ethics to try and educate the ill informed, 4x4 Earth is the only site I have ever come accross that really pushes the tread lightly ethos and good on them I say

PS How was Fraser Dave? hope a report is done!!

Jim
Jim (JimMc)
29 Nov 2016

I couldn't count how many times I have been out and instead of avoiding puddles, muddy ruts and the beginning of yet another bog hole when there is a perfectly dry line without going off the track you see people drive straight through them ......

Yep I agree I don't like mud and I don't drive up tracks that are falling apart, if I find a tree over the track I cut it off and not drive around making a new track, I worked for Parks in the past and had a lot to do with the damage from 4x4ers and bike riders and we closed and we all lost so many tracks.  Tread lightly is a great idear but to many 4x4er's and bike riders think it's there wright to distory the bush, I learned that you leave only foot prints, take only photos home along with the rubish you have taken.    

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
29 Nov 2016

^^ this is why we need a like button !!

Self intitled and selfish me me me attitude is the issue, its not a god given right to drive anywhere you want, nowhere else on the planet has the freedoms we do so its a privelidge not a right, in an ideal world it would be different and the sooner knuckle heads change their attitudes the better or we will have nowhere to 4wd and camp

Hoddz
Hoddz (Hoddz)
20 Dec 2016

Hi Jim, rumor getting around is that money has been made available to fix the H stream!! I have not been able to validate this yet but will look into it (and its not even an election year, go figure!!) cheers Hoddz

Jim
Jim (JimMc)
20 Dec 2016

Hi Jim, rumor getting around is that money has been made available to fix the H stream!! I have not been able to validate this yet but will look into it (and its not even an election year, go figure!!) cheers Hoddz

Hi yes I'm trying to get a hold of one of the men I work with to find out if its true I hope so but I will have to sit till next year to talk to him. 

Jim
Jim (JimMc)
11 Feb 2017

Hi Guys,

Living in this area and travelling the Huanted Steam many times and my son works for the local shire. The issue is whith one area where the road has given way to a large drain under the road. This area will......

Hi Dave

They have got funding to reopen Huntard Stream track and I hope it will be opened soon.

Jim
Jim (JimMc)
11 Feb 2017

I couldn't count how many times I have been out and instead of avoiding puddles, muddy ruts and the beginning of yet another bog hole when there is a perfectly dry line without going off the track you see people drive straight through them ......

There is a web site called Tread lightly with some good adivce on how to behave in the bush https://www.treadlightly.org/ and they say this

Tread Principles

Travel Responsibly on land by staying on designated roads, trails and area. Go over, not around, obstacles to avoid widening the trails. Cross streams only at designated fords. when possible, avoid wet, muddy trails. On water, stay on designated waterways and launch your watercraft in designated areas.

Respect the Rights of Others including private property owners, all recreational trail users, campers and others so they can enjoy their recreational activities undsiturbed. Leave gates as you found them. Yield rightof way to those passing your or going uphill. On water, respect anglers, swimmers, skiers, boaters, divers and those on or near shore.

Educate Yourself prior to your trip by obtaining travel maps and regulations from public agencies. Plan for your trip, take recreation skills classes and know how to operate your equipment safely.

Avoid Sensitive Areas on land such as meadows, lakeshores, wetlands and streams. Stay on designated routes. This protects wildlife habitats and sensitive soils from damage. Don’t disturb historical, archeological or paleontological sites. On water, avoid operating your watercraft in shallow waters or near shorelines at high speeds.

Do Your Part by modeling appropriate behavior, leaving the area better than you found it, properly disposing of waste, minimizing the use of fire, avoiding the spread of invasive species and repairing degraded areas.

This is good avice, we all should do the right thing in the bush every time we go there.

Jim
Jim (JimMc)
11 Feb 2017

^^ this is why we need a like button !!

Self intitled and selfish me me me attitude is the issue, its not a god given right to drive anywhere you want, nowhere else on the planet has the freedoms we do so its a privelidge not a right......

I could not agree more we do not have a right to go bush it is a privelidge and we must all do the right thing or we will get locked out for good!

Dave
Dave (disco)
13 Feb 2017

Hi Dave

They have got funding to reopen Huntard Stream track and I hope it will be opened soon.

Hi Jim,

Yes tenders are out at the moment for companies to fix the track. I have not heard if anyone has got it yet but I still doubt that it will be open for 2017. Realistically it will take a while for tenders to be aproved and then completion of works. 

Regards

Dave

Jim
Jim (JimMc)
14 Feb 2017

Hi Jim,

Yes tenders are out at the moment for companies to fix the track. I have not heard if anyone has got it yet but I still doubt that it will be open for 2017. Realistically it will take a while for tenders to be aproved and the......

Hi David the silly season is over at last, so I will start 4x4ing again into the High Country to make some youtube videos about the History of the tracks and towns.

I will be on my way down to Deptford on a Wednesday night soon to camp there for two nights then I be of to Swifts Creek on Friday to have a talk to the department about Haunted Stream Track, from there I will be making my way back home by way of Billy Goat Bluff Tk you will be welcome to join me any  along the way, I have not worked it out yet but I would like to Camp near Dargo on Friday night so I can do the Billy Goat Tk on Saturday, I hope to have a mate with me that has never been 4x4ing and I think that my open his eyes of how much fun it is. I post it on 4x4 time and date asp.    

Dave
Dave (disco)
15 Feb 2017

Hi David the silly season is over at last, so I will start 4x4ing again into the High Country to make some youtube videos about the History of the tracks and towns.

I will be on my way down to Deptford on a Wednesday night soon to ca......

HI Jim, Sorry I am in Melb this weekend for a family function so can not make it. I live in Bairnsdale so any time you are out this way or run a trip I will try to vome along.

Regards

Dave

1 2   Next