Sat, 05-Nov-2016 (Bunyip and Yarra State forrest, VIC)

Forum > Your Trip Report & Experience
Previous   1 2

()
13 Nov 2016

I went up to Bunyip the weekend after Sat 12th to test out wintching off ferns , they are actually pretty solid and if it was an emergency it would be no problem to use the decent sized ones around the bottom .

()
15 Nov 2016

() wrote:

I went up to Bunyip the weekend after Sat 12th to test out wintching off ferns , they are actually pretty solid and if it was an emergency it would be no problem to use the decent sized ones around the bottom .

Like you say in a extreme emergency, if a ranger caught you doing it he will throw the book at you.

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
15 Nov 2016

How the hell did you get into that angle???? The track through the low section looks quite drivable and the logicle / safe choice and even if you decided to go the high section, which there is no way on earth would be the better option on a slippery track the track looks as though its wide enough IF you hugged the scube on the right hand side, in spots it even looks as though it slopes to the right...

Were you doing your normal driving style and had the foot half way to the floor to get through a slippery section?

In the words of Pauleen " Please explain"

()
15 Nov 2016

How the hell did you get into that angle???? The track through the low section looks quite drivable and the logicle / safe choice and even if you decided to go the high section, which there is no way on earth would be the better option on a sli......

I put small wheels on my car and I took the lift out so I was getting hung up every 5 minutes I was starting to feel pretty bad by the time we got here especially for Winston and Chris and David who kept getting covered in mud helping me , the trip started at 9:30 and by 11:30 we had only driven about  4kms so Alex said over the radio that he and Winston had driven this track the night before so I said about ten times did they go around it and do you think I should go around the answer from Alex was YEH! YEH! YEH! so because at the start it was pretty wide and I had no trouble driving past it but just at the very end I was loosing traction so i gave it a little bit of a boot and the rear locker was engaged and it fell in the rut I know in the picture the angle looks pretty bad but in reality its much worse , I am pretty lucky I didn't roll it , if Winston who was tail end Charlie and Chris did not spring into action I would have rolled it was sinking slowly on the low side . oh yeh apparently they did not drive around it the night before , what pisses me off more than anything is that I was up there a couple of weeks before and the forestry guy told me to get my car roadworthy  if he was me because the police will be flat out up there this year and we spent the day being passed by P plater's in GQ's with 4 and 6 inch lifts and 37's on them .

Rick
Rick (Spooner)
15 Nov 2016

what pisses me off more than anything is that I was up there a couple of weeks before and the forestry guy told me to get my car roadworthy  if he was me because the police will be flat out up there this year and we spent the day being passed by P plater's in GQ's with 4 and 6 inch lifts and 37's on them .

Thats a bummer mate but  true, they were up around Thompson Dam last weekend checking tyre sizes , on all cars. My mate got a canary at Merrijig a few weekends ago for lift and wheels in a reasonably stock looking LC100. 

Alex
Alex (Alex_Lemons)
15 Nov 2016

Ahah must have been a mix up in communication cause I repeated multiple times to go straight through it as Winston and I had done the night before. I also warned as soon as we turned onto the ridge track to go straight through all the bog holes.. Oh well lucky we got you out safe and sound.

Matthew
Matthew (discomatt)
15 Nov 2016

Good the more police do there job and put cars off the road that run massive tyres and excessive lifts the better the whole 4wd community will be in the long run. The over the top cars give all the greenies and anti 4wd tossers more ammo to get places shut down and all off us will end up locked out of all but few dirt roads.

Keep it looking close to standard and its just win win and no issues, and don't try and tell me that you need a 4 inch lift and 35's to go 4wding, I have followed many a massive lift 4wd with 32's and 2 inch lift when at the start of the day they said " ah you will never make it"...

Good to see you are now running a sensible lift and tyre size JC and in time you will manage to go everywhere you did with the old set upsmiley

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
15 Nov 2016

Jason no need to feel bad about the mud and help. It's one of the best parts of 4wding for me - jumping out and getting dirty and helping out. When everyone is through it it puts bigger smiles on faces and you feel like a team. And since I suck at sport this is my team.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter that there was a miscommunication or that it was a nasty angle to end up on, all that matters is we got through it safely and worked really well together. Therefore = great trip.

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
15 Nov 2016

Also we had only done 4km by 11.30 because I wasted everyone's time stuffing around with the sway bar... my bad. We didn't roll till 11.

Alex
Alex (Alex_Lemons)
15 Nov 2016

Also we had only done 4km by 11.30 because I wasted everyone's time stuffing around with the sway bar... my bad. We didn't roll till 11.

Exactly Winston Couldn't have said it better. And same goes for your fix up, having to do the odd bush mechanics is half the fun and meant you got to continue on the trip!

It was a good trip, sad i had to leave early!!

()
16 Nov 2016

Ahah must have been a mix up in communication cause I repeated multiple times to go straight through it as Winston and I had done the night before. I also warned as soon as we turned onto the ridge track to go straight through all the bog holes.. Oh well lucky we got you out safe and sound.

Sorry , I wasn't trying to blame anyone else, I also think between 1 and 20 on uhf cb always seem to have 5 or 6 groups using the same channel at the same time , because I don't use a proper cb I use a ham radio , at the time of the incident I heard a guy saying how is tractor wouldn't start .

()
16 Nov 2016

I agree with what Matt said about the big tyre's and stuff ripping up the forest however I do not think its right what the police do , all they would have to do is stay in each area for a couple of months and make it fair on everyone instead of popping up all over the place and getting people for small stuff , the cars that passed us up at Bunyip all with P plates on were over the top , they all had club rego they were all GQs ,there are tons of people taking advantage of the fact that a GQ is a vintage car now , I mean a few weeks ago someone posted a trip on here and they did not want people to go with less than 35 inch tires and a 2 inch lift , I joined the trip at the start in the end I pulled the pin as there was 2 people going with GQ's with 6 inch lift  and 37s and with a roadworthy car you cant get anywhere near that , the thing is in theory the police are saving the forest but in reality all they are doing is a half arse job and using it to get funding to go out riding and stuff while real crime is being committed elsewhere . 

Also I want to add that I reckon eventually more stuff will close anyway because although 4wd Victoria claim to have our backs its a load of crap they spent a couple of months preparing the 4wd park that's why some tracks are still closed bla bla bla , I've seen first hand they did nothing . 

()
16 Nov 2016

The police do it because some selfish muppets think it's more important to get up some track than injuring or killing someone because the the 37" braking distance has increased. 

Rick
Rick (Spooner)
16 Nov 2016

Like someone I spoke to the other day . Its like catching bee's in a honey pot , lol .

Like it or not they will be out in force all summer in all the well known hotspots.

Previous   1 2