Sat, 05-Nov-2016 (Bunyip and Yarra State forrest, VIC)

Forum > Your Trip Report & Experience
1 2   Next

()
06 Nov 2016

Hi everyone our trip started with  Winston + Angle Grinder = bye bye sway bar and then we were on our way .

The first track we went up was Little Bunyip it was nice and greasy for a good warm up, then right on to Blue Ridge Range trk ,where there was a massive bog hole that I tried to drive around and I forgot about the locker , the back of my car fell in the bog hole and I nearly rolled it but by the time I had realized what had happened the guys had already sorted it and within a couple of minutes we were on the way again .

Next we turned right at Bunyip Ridge and after a short time another bog hole were I got stuck again but again I was out in a few minutes , after we finished the Bunyip Ridge track we stopped for a bite to eat and said goodbye to Alex and his friend as they had a engagement later in the day and wanted to be on time as they lived far away .

After lunch we hooked over to Western track which was a great drive then down Western fire line onto Bunyip road and then a quik squirt up little sisters and back down by this time it was about 3.45 so we called it a day.

David and his friend cruised back to Berwick and then Winston , Chris and I aired up and after a bit of a chat we then proceeded up Bunyip road turned right onto Learmonths Creak road and followed it down to Little Yarra road and followed it into Yarra Junction onto Warby hwy , I turned off at Launch and Chris and winston headed down to Ringwood to jump on the freeway .

I had a great day myself even though I had taken someone's advice and put the mud tyres on that were 33's and put my standard springs back in, I was not use to driving like this after having the 6 inch lift with 35s but in the end I was use to it , I would like to thank all the people that came on my trip for all getting along so well and working so well as a team !

Its days like this that make 4wdtrip.com the best website ever !

Chris
Chris (Milney)
06 Nov 2016

Couple of snaps for the day, photography skills leave a bit to be desired.

Highlights:
Angle grinder to the sway bar on the FJ
James almost rolling, followed by a safe recovery
The Land Rover giving everything a go

Thanks for a good day out.

()
06 Nov 2016

Thanks for the trip report. Sounded like a fun trip.

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
06 Nov 2016

Message deleted by the author.

Chris
Chris (Milney)
06 Nov 2016

Message deleted by the author.

Ooops, fixed them properly now. Copy pasted wrong forum codes.

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
06 Nov 2016

First up a big thanks to Jason for organising the trip - I had a great day. And apologies to everyone for my stupid sway bar meaning the trip started an hour late. The details of that are the Alex and Meg and myself got there on Friday night and did a cruise after setting up camp. Andersons, Blue Range and Bunyip Ridge were like highways, graded very smooth aside from a couple of bogs. Nash Creek Loop was my breaker - easy in the dry but quite rutted and one of my sway extender pins snapped which sent the sway straight into my cv boot. Shredded. So next morning tried securing the sway out of harms way, then removing it- couldn't get it out. So I just pulled out the grinder and cut it in half. Hope I made up for the wait with some entertainment. 

Was a great fun cruisy explore with some big smile moments as we got through unscathed. 

()
06 Nov 2016

It will be nutts if Alex or someone has pics of my car on its side thats a pic I want to see , there is a pic somewhere of Kelvins GQ on a sick angle and the guys leaning on it but mine is almost twice the angle , I'm not sure if you managed to get a photo Winston because at the time you were really busy fixing it all up but if anyone else did they should post it .

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
06 Nov 2016

() wrote:

It will be nutts if Alex or someone has pics of my car on its side thats a pic I want to see , there is a pic somewhere of Kelvins GQ on a sick angle and the guys leaning on it but mine is almost twice the angle , I'm not sure if you manage......

Yeah sorry I stupidly missed that photo opportunity. Was a solid angle for sure. I was just concerned with making sure we got you down into those ruts safely on 4 wheels. 

()
07 Nov 2016

Yeah sorry I stupidly missed that photo opportunity. Was a solid angle for sure. I was just concerned with making sure we got you down into those ruts safely on 4 wheels. 

Thats for sure mate I would have been screwed to the wall if you wasnt there it was your quik thinking and Chris running around grabbing stuff mate I cant thank you guys enough it went so well . 

Good report Jason, was a good day! 

Alex
Alex (Alex_Lemons)
07 Nov 2016

Yes Good write up Jason and Winston! Thanks for organising the trip Jason was good fun, sad i had to leave early before we got to do western, But i'll be there next time for sure!!

Didnt get much footage but grabbed a few more photo's off the video's I took of the bog hole.
Think the front on shot of Jason's angle makes it look even more impressive

Thanks again guys

Winston
Winston (Winston_FJ)
08 Nov 2016

Great shots Alex.

()
08 Nov 2016

Nice. How did you get it out of that angle?reverse?

Chris
Chris (Milney)
08 Nov 2016

() wrote:

Nice. How did you get it out of that angle?reverse?

Winched forwards into the rut.

()
08 Nov 2016

Good photo to get blown up Jason. And good one of Winston checking his rear diff.lol

1 2   Next